Bar/Club Closures - 13th or 15th October?

bbi1

31 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

This 'holiday' is about respect and time to allow the Thai people to mourn a beloved King. It is not about 'having a jolly time'.

Fair enough i had no real idea what Holiday was for as date didn't register, anyway i live in a rural area so its never going to effect us here, as shops sell (and Thais drink) regardless.Much like a large % of Thailand i would venture to say

However i still have every sympathy with many tourists who are unlikely to know or comprehend the reason for a "dry holiday"

• Like 2

Usually it's just lower key.  Like (mercifully) lower volume music.  Maybe some bars will close earlier but I don't expect it to be that much different.  I'm sure the drunks will still be able to find a drink somewhere.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, poohy said:

However i still have every sympathy with many tourists who are unlikely to know or comprehend the reason for a "dry holiday"

Agreed, as a British person, I'd expect to hoist a glass in the late Kings honour - as we would for our own royalty. Different cultures, all part of the rich tapestry of life here. 

It's easy to understand why a tourist, who may only be here for a few days might not be happy though. In Pattaya, so much revolves around the bars that the town virtually stops for the day. 

• Like 1

Any Updates about the state of play this weekend ???

I was planning to hit  Pattaya on Saturday night and  I don't fancy wasting money booking a hotel for the night  only to find it's a ghost town  ..... I'll postpone until later next week if this is going to be the case

Any Updates about the state of play this weekend ???

I was planning to hit  Pattaya on Saturday night and  I don't fancy wasting money booking a hotel for the night  only to find it's a ghost town  ..... I'll postpone until later next week if this is going to be the case

You won't know until you get there. There is no mandated closure order, so it will be up to individual bars and the local authorities.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I do not recall official closures the Great King asked of his people so I would doubt it would be the case now. 

I do know that some establishments feel they should honour him in this way and may close.

Edited by alant

Another thread in the news flow said specific about Phuket...

Although the sale of alcohol is not prohibited by law, police traditionally encourage people to refrain from drinking alcohol on the day as a sign of respect and in honour of King Bhumibol.

Bars in Patong, in particular, have been asked to be respectful, but left the option of whether or not to close or to serve alcohol over the long weekend. (See story here.)

Source...

Earlier I saw an official Government poster listing establishments that will remain open or closed on both days. In answer to your question "Alcohol Sales Allowed" (subject to local licensing hours). Post Offices will be closed Saturday and Monday. Government offices closed on Monday include Immigration, Driver/Car Licensing and Provincial HQ's. Main branch banks will be closed on Monday but sub-branches in supermarkets and other retail outlets will be open throughout the holiday period.

• Like 1

Went to pattaya for 2 day annual sales meeting (usualy in EU) hotel was far outside the city. The planner didn’t realize it was a major holiday or ? That bars weren’t allowed to sell alcohol. Kinda sucked

one bar sold warm beer under the table in plastic glasses....

At least everyone was observant at the meetings...

3 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Sorry. But just have update from earlier post re Hua Hin.....we have been instructed bt police this afternoon that tomorrow is a no alcohol day here....sorry it is late but hope it helps 

Tomorrows a no alcohol day !!!!!!!

Quick, help , I need a flight out the Country by tonight , anywhere that sells alcohol will do 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's not a nationwide mandatory ruling.  I guess it's up to individual districts/provinces.

No problem up north in rural Khon Kaen Province - local farang bar OPEN ALL DAY today and tomorrow. Business as usual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Royal days have been wet days for years. Some owners decide to give the staff a day off. My GF who works for a Thai company bought a black dress a couple of days ago to wear today, but they were all told yesterday to wear bright clothes in celebration of the beloved King. Yellow (his colour) was suggested

Update :-   just had a message back from Champagne Agogo.. Soi LK   via their Facebook.... "not open tonight but open as usual on Sunday Night" ....so if they are closed probably most of the Bars on Soi LK  will be too ..