Teaching - To Get A Job Before Or After I Arrive?

Greetings all-

I've been looking into going to Chiang Mai to teach for about half a year, and I'd like feedback on whether or not I need a job before going over to Thailand in order to get the appropriate visa. From what research I've done, I assume I need a 'non-immigrant B' visa.

Last year, I taught English in the Czech Republic, where no visa was needed for employment as a TEFL teacher. The people I came into contact with who found their teaching jobs sight-unseen over the internet prior to arriving were usually placed in fairly undesirable classroom settings, far from the center of Prague. I landed a job in a nice school about a week after my TEFL course had ended, and was hoping job-hunting would be almost as easy in Thailand.

Here's what I'm thinking about doing, and I'd appreciate all guidance you may have in the matter: Instead of getting a job in Thailand before I leave the US, I want to get a 90-day tourist visa and just look for jobs while in Chiang Mai. If and when I get a job, I assume I'd be able to extend my visa for employment from within Thailand?

Any help, personal experience, or information will be appreciated!

Thank you (korp k'un, right?) Todd

Non-Immigrant B visa and a letter from a "potential" employer confirming they will hire you. Read the contract carefully and don't let them make changes afterwards, I resigned 3 days before the 1st semester (did summer camp), after my employer "forgot about the contractual agreement" :o . Freaked 'em out but they know now not to mess around with me.

Greetings all-

I've been looking into going to Chiang Mai to teach for about half a year, and I'd like feedback on whether or not I need a job before going over to Thailand in order to get the appropriate visa.  From what research I've done, I assume I need a 'non-immigrant B' visa. 

Last year, I taught English in the Czech Republic, where no visa was needed for employment as a TEFL teacher.  The people I came into contact with who found their teaching jobs sight-unseen over the internet prior to arriving were usually placed in fairly undesirable classroom settings, far from the center of Prague.  I landed a job in a nice school about a week after my TEFL course had ended, and was hoping job-hunting would be almost as easy in Thailand. 

Here's what I'm thinking about doing, and I'd appreciate all guidance you may have in the matter:  Instead of getting a job in Thailand before I leave the US, I want to get a 90-day tourist visa and just look for jobs while in Chiang Mai.  If and when I get a job, I assume I'd be able to extend my visa for employment from within Thailand? 

Any help, personal experience, or information will be appreciated! 

Thank you (korp k'un, right?)                    Todd

Get a letter of offer of employment from an undesirable school and use that to get a multiple entry non-immigrant B visa in your home country. If you have no contract, you are free to go and look for a more desirable place to work after you arrive here.