Motorcycle taxi turf wars: Someone is going to die soon and it'll serve them right

rooster59

Motorcycle taxi turf wars: Someone is going to die soon and it'll serve them right

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUwNi83NTMwMzA2LzIuanBn.jpg

Image: Sanook

Reporters from Amarin TV went to Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok to talk to licensed motorcycle taxi riders or "win" after a GrabBike rider was allegedly attacked by one of them. 

The GrabBike guy was left seriously wounded in hospital. He said he had arrived in the area of Soi 33 to pick up a passenger but when warned off by the win riders he had told the passenger to go with them. 

However, when he started filming a fight broke out and he was assaulted. The footage was erased. 

Amarin went to Soi 33 where one member of the rank said that the person responsible was not one of them. He didn't have a jacket.

But most of the riders there had not seen the incident.

At nearby Soi 22 where there is another big rank the win riders complained about being singled out for criticism.

They said they were legally registered and that Grab riders were the illegal ones and deserved everything they got. 

It was only a matter of time before someone was killed, said one rider, and that would serve them right. 

The authorities should stop Grab and solve the problem of illegal services before a death occurs, they warned. 

Sanook reported on the story that was featured in a video on Amarin TV.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-06

"The authorities should stop Grab and solve the problem of illegal services before a death occurs, they warned. "

other way round would be correct

The authorities should eliminate the taxi mafia and solve the problem of their violence and terrible service before a death occurs,

Obviously nobody should be beaten up for providing a service.

But we should also ask: Why do people use self justice? What options does have anybody in Thailand who wants to complain about illegal activities from others? Should they report it to the police? 555! Mostly nothing will happen.

I am sure the motorcycle taxis have to pay money to some local influential people so that they are able to work where they work. And then an outsider comes and takes away "their" customers, and obviously without giving the local strongmen some money. The police won't do anything? So what are their options?

No, I don't condone violence. But I ask what option do the motorcycle taxi riders have?

At least Grab riders don't block a whole street corner full-time with thier bikes like the asswipes at Soi 33.

For this reason alone Grab should be legitimised. Bring on all app-based services and get rid of the yahoos and their mafia godfathers.

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

It was only a matter of time before someone was killed, said one rider, and that would serve them right. 

Steady on geez' .. Advocating deafing someone up is a bit strong .. Nothing wrong with abit of live and let live ..

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am sure the motorcycle taxis have to pay money to some local influential people so that they are able to work where they work.

If I remember correctly, Silom / Sathon moto taxis were paying THB 200K for a moto-taxi jacket according to the BP. This was years ago.

The big question (before the latest amendments to the law) used to be "What is the most expensive jacket in Thailand?"... answer the Orange Win jacket, for which some reportedly paid more than 1 m baht!!! Damned stupid 'economics'!!!

If someone needs to be banned it's this low life win motorbike mafia 

block every corner never polite fighting alot 

Grab is better because they use a app not sit in every corner and look as mafia 

Let us ban them and they will learn we don't want them 

Self justice low life mafia fighting is not a solution 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But we should also ask: Why do people use self justice? What options does have anybody in Thailand who wants to complain about illegal activities from others? Should they report it to the police? 555! Mostly nothing will happen.

I am sure the motorcycle taxis have to pay money to some local influential people so that they are able to work where they work. And then an outsider comes and takes away "their" customers, and obviously without giving the local strongmen some money. The police won't do anything? So what are their options?

No, I don't condone violence. But I ask what option do the motorcycle taxi riders have?

They can join grab and start behaving nicely.

1 minute ago, hobz said:

I don't think that is a good alternative.

Bangkok streets are full of motorcycle taxis and many people want to use their service. And many of those people drive i.e. from BTS stations to work. So it makes sense that there are groups of ready bikes on those places. And the same is true for many sois.

It wouldn't make any sense and probably would be big chaos if all the people who come out of the BTS would order bikes with grab. And that is just one sample.

3 hours ago, sweatalot said:

"The authorities should stop Grab and solve the problem of illegal services before a death occurs, they warned. "

The authorities should eliminate the taxi mafia and solve the problem of their violence and terrible service before a death occurs,

And mr Prayuth should sack every police-districtchief if he sees a motocy taxi driving against traffic in his district. The police just looks the other way for them

Obviously nobody can condone a violent response, in any situation it is wrong. The real question is what do customers want and what is better for the economy.

Myself, I use Grab and it is by far a better service then trying to hail down a taxi only to be told that they don't want to go there, or they won't switch the meter on or whatever. With grab you know how much the fair is before you book and if not happy don't press book,,,

After that you get a little map tracking the location of the car and approximate time before it reaches you and also puts you in direct contact withe the driver. Brilliant!

So, to me it is obvious. Technology wins and it is the way to go for taxis in the future (motorcycle or car). 

After all who wants to walk to some street corner where the motorcycle taxi's are or to the taxi rank and deal with some guy who wants to negotiate your fare based upon how you look (falang price anyone?).

So, message to the taxi drivers. create a proper app, update your service, get with the times and stop moaning,, OR watch as your livelihood dwindles away, no need to beat up your competitors (legal or otherwise), do the same or even do it better,,, simple.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My gf bought her son in Bangkok, a motorbike taxi license.... 25,000 baht...

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't think that is a good alternative.

Bangkok streets are full of motorcycle taxis and many people want to use their service. And many of those people drive i.e. from BTS stations to work. So it makes sense that there are groups of ready bikes on those places. And the same is true for many sois.

It wouldn't make any sense and probably would be big chaos if all the people who come out of the BTS would order bikes with grab. And that is just one sample.

So then what is the problem?

Isn’t Go-Jek due to start up in Thailand soon?  Between Grab and Go-Jek, the motorbike taxi industry will modernize whether the existing drivers want it or not.  

And to the poster commenting about availabilty of motorbike taxis near bts...have no fear once GO-JEK takes over there will be hoards at every exit.  

5 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Option 2

3 hours ago, wirat69 said:

The big question (before the latest amendments to the law) used to be "What is the most expensive jacket in Thailand?"... answer the Orange Win jacket, for which some reportedly paid more than 1 m baht!!! Damned stupid 'economics'!!!

They don't have 1 million baht. I see bums with these jackets

11 minutes ago, Days Off said:

Isn’t Go-Jek due to start up in Thailand soon?  Between Grab and Go-Jek, the motorbike taxi industry will modernize whether the existing drivers want it or not.  

And to the poster commenting about availabilty of motorbike taxis near bts...have no fear once GO-JEK takes over there will be hoards at every exit.  

All can be avoided if the customers says. No my friend is coming to get me. Very simple

5 hours ago, sweatalot said:

They did create some of these problems too but like any other Thai gov't official, does not have enough brain power to do much about it 

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

Obviously nobody can condone a violent response, in any situation it is wrong. The real question is what do customers want and what is better for the economy.

Myself, I use Grab and it is by far a better service then trying to hail down a taxi only to be told that they don't want to go there, or they won't switch the meter on or whatever. With grab you know how much the fair is before you book and if not happy don't press book,,,

After that you get a little map tracking the location of the car and approximate time before it reaches you and also puts you in direct contact withe the driver. Brilliant!

So, to me it is obvious. Technology wins and it is the way to go for taxis in the future (motorcycle or car). 

After all who wants to walk to some street corner where the motorcycle taxi's are or to the taxi rank and deal with some guy who wants to negotiate your fare based upon how you look (falang price anyone?).

So, message to the taxi drivers. create a proper app, update your service, get with the times and stop moaning,, OR watch as your livelihood dwindles away, no need to beat up your competitors (legal or otherwise), do the same or even do it better,,, simple.

How much experience do you have with motorcycle taxi drivers?

In my experience almost all of them have fixed and reasonable prices.

And they are mostly on strategic places i.e. at the beginning of sois.

I think the system works fine like that since many years.

Any competition legal or otherwise is going to bring a reaction from the "Win" taxis

They've had to buy their jackets to operate a certain area at very high prices... god knows what that might be in BKK but my friend who is a Win rider in Nakhon Pathom paid 100,000 baht for his place outside Big C 

I can see why freelance riders or taxis are going to get into a confrontation !

But I don't condone the violence !

Just saying it's a big issue with voices on both sides and something that all parties are going to have to sit down and sort out once and for-all !

1 hour ago, JRUSA said:

My gf bought her son in Bangkok, a motorbike taxi license.... 25,000 baht...

Says it all, really. Surely a motosai taxi licence, while paid for, should depend on some form of screening:- ability to safely drive, ability to navigate, honesty, courtesy, diligence to duty, etc., etc., ?

Isn't that what happens in other countries? Oh....sorry. I've never heatd of a motorcycle taxi in any (other) civilised country!

3 hours ago, hobz said:

Not all motorcycle taxis are unruly and drunk... my missus uses a regular motorcycle taxi ,elderly guy ,to buy things from the market  on and off when she is too lazy to drive. Great guy with good work ethics. Problem with those licensed motorcycle taxi is that what happens to their ‘exorbitant initiation fee’ they had paid to work? Somebody going to refund them? Grab? That is the basic underlying problem for all services in Thailand if you want to revamp them.... how are they going to supplement their current income if they adopt new system of doing business...   

1 minute ago, Andrew65 said:

After nearly being mown on the pavement???? (sidewalk) countless times, I find it hard to have even the minutest of sympathy!

Live and let live... they are after a livelihood that’s all.. even in regulated Singapore where I stayed, there are loads of people ( mainly mainland chinese) on motorized bicycle coming right behind you on pedestrian footpath.. just learn to adapt with spatial awareness  and get out of their way. 

Archived