Motorcycle taxi turf wars: Someone is going to die soon and it'll serve them right

rooster59

33 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Live and let live... they are after a livelihood that’s all.. even in regulated Singapore where I stayed, there are loads of people ( mainly mainland chinese) on motorized bicycle coming right behind you on pedestrian footpath.. just learn to adapt with spatial awareness  and get out of their way. 

Lol.... adapt with spatial awareness.... remember to don your shoulder mounted rear view mirrors... ????????????????

6 hours ago, james.d said:

If I remember correctly, Silom / Sathon moto taxis were paying THB 200K for a moto-taxi jacket according to the BP. This was years ago.

For Phyathai area a legal jacket is Bt8,000. But if you call a Grab, don't ask for pick up at an m-taxi station. Obvious. Call from a place where there are no legal m-taxis. No problems. 

28 minutes ago, wvavin said:

This outdated motorcycle taxi in Thailand should be totally eliminated in this country. They are simply a nuisance!

So you will make fat guys like me walk in the heat?

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How much experience do you have with motorcycle taxi drivers?

In my experience almost all of them have fixed and reasonable prices.

And they are mostly on strategic places i.e. at the beginning of sois.

I think the system works fine like that since many years.

Agreed. I use them regularly, even if its just a few hundred meters. In some places you are safer on a MC than walking.

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

So you will make fat guys like me walk in the heat?

M-taxis are an excellent, though dangerous, ad hoc transport solution. How better to move one person around a traffic choked city? They even supply helmets these days.   

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously nobody should be beaten up for providing a service.

But we should also ask: Why do people use self justice? What options does have anybody in Thailand who wants to complain about illegal activities from others? Should they report it to the police? 555! Mostly nothing will happen.

I am sure the motorcycle taxis have to pay money to some local influential people so that they are able to work where they work. And then an outsider comes and takes away "their" customers, and obviously without giving the local strongmen some money. The police won't do anything? So what are their options?

No, I don't condone violence. But I ask what option do the motorcycle taxi riders have?

No matter the situation right or wrong you do not break someones rice bowl and that is what the Grab boys are doing. Agree with you 100percent on complaining to the police, waste of time.

16 minutes ago, moe666 said:

No matter the situation right or wrong you do not break someones rice bowl and that is what the Grab boys are doing. Agree with you 100percent on complaining to the police, waste of time.

I bet you would have said that same thing if you lived back when cars started replacing horses. 

As new more effective technology comes it's gonna replace parts of older tech.

Those who survive are those willing to adapt.

If these motorbike guys had any brains they would install the grab app and increase their income this way. They probably have more knowledge and skills than all the grab amateurs combined. They would get high ratings and would get lots of rides and make good money. But instead they resort to violence and negativity like a bunch of losers.

They can adapt, or they can fight something that is inevitable. Grab and services like that are here to stay and it may be illegal today but it's probably gonna be legal sooner or later. So better to start adapting asap than waste valuable time and energy swimming upstream...

Like someone said earlier, every time they pull stunts like this it's free publicity for grab and negative publicity for themselves. They look like thugs. And people reading these news wonder what grab is and why they are so threatening to these thugs. And they wanna try it out. 

Everybody living in Thailand (Thai people) have experienced the extortion they pull on ppl. (Ofcourse there's plenty plenty of good guys too). there is no recourse. With grab you can leave a negative rating and drivers that get multiple negative ratings will no longer get rides..

21 hours ago, sweatalot said:

"The authorities should stop Grab and solve the problem of illegal services before a death occurs, they warned. "

other way round would be correct

The authorities should eliminate the taxi mafia and solve the problem of their violence and terrible service before a death occurs,

Exactly right; in any market worldwide, it's always the government gangs (aka "the authorities") that create the initial distortions in supply and price discovery, by creating artificial scarcity through coercing their cut out of market participants.

If the brown-shirts had never extorted anyone in this market, the taxi mafia would not have even arisen, and the issue would not exist.

So glad to be out of "LOS" (MyS), and not in the middle of the taxi war!

Proud to have never used a Winbike during my time in Thailand!

19 hours ago, Thian said:

And mr Prayuth should sack every police-districtchief if he sees a motocy taxi driving against traffic in his district. The police just looks the other way for them

Nowhere worse than outside BIB hq, central Pattaya. 

Ride where they want, do as they like.

An officer put on a tourist pr show and actually stopped the traffic for us to cross the road. 

The only ones who didn't stop were the bike taxi and the taxi vans.

Sort of tells you something doesn't it?

Impervious, or protected?

On 10/6/2018 at 11:23 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

But we should also ask: Why do people use self justice? What options does have anybody in Thailand who wants to complain about illegal activities from others? Should they report it to the police? 555! Mostly nothing will happen.

I am sure the motorcycle taxis have to pay money to some local influential people so that they are able to work where they work. And then an outsider comes and takes away "their" customers, and obviously without giving the local strongmen some money. The police won't do anything? So what are their options?

No, I don't condone violence. But I ask what option do the motorcycle taxi riders have?

Grab and likes arise because the so called taxi service is <deleted> and has been for years. Many but not all of these morons treat their customers as if they are doing a favour and take advantage where possible. 

4 minutes ago, ICECOOL said:

Grab and likes arise because the so called taxi service is <deleted> and has been for years. Many but not all of these morons treat their customers as if they are doing a favour and take advantage where possible. 

It seems you talk about all the taxi-no-meter taxi (car) drivers and not about the motorcycle taxi riders.

They are (mostly) very different from each other.

On 10/6/2018 at 2:27 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't think that is a good alternative.

Bangkok streets are full of motorcycle taxis and many people want to use their service. And many of those people drive i.e. from BTS stations to work. So it makes sense that there are groups of ready bikes on those places. And the same is true for many sois.

It wouldn't make any sense and probably would be big chaos if all the people who come out of the BTS would order bikes with grab. And that is just one sample.

This is absolutely correct. I simply cannot understand the Farang "everything is an app" attitude. Apps make sense for certain cases, and I have used GrabTaxi for those cases. But when I walk down the steps of the BTS, there is a queue of motocy waiting to immediately transport me to my place for 10 baht. I am absolutely not going to open my phone, fire up an app, put in data, confirm, then wait for a motocy. That is utterly ridiculous.

On 10/6/2018 at 3:44 PM, GAZZPA said:

After all who wants to walk to some street corner where the motorcycle taxi's are or to the taxi rank and deal with some guy who wants to negotiate your fare based upon how you look (falang price anyone?).

So, message to the taxi drivers. create a proper app, update your service, get with the times and stop moaning,, OR watch as your livelihood dwindles away, no need to beat up your competitors (legal or otherwise), do the same or even do it better,,, simple.

I have no problem with the people who use apps. Have used them myself. And I would hope the government can work out a solution where they can co-exist. But I sure as h3ll do not want to be forced to use an app to get a ride.

I walk to the start of my soi, and within seconds I have a motocy. I have never waited more than 2 minutes for a taxi, and less than a minute is typical. There is never any negotiations - the prices are set. The service is polite and efficient. I have never had a single problem. Ever. I simply do not understand why so many Farang have so many problems with transportation here. Makes me wonder who the real problem is.

I jumped on one today.... the old geezer was pulling up, he slowed down, I hoisted my lard ass on it, he took off, he stopped, I gave him 10Baht, we fist bumped and it was done.

These MC guys hang out in front of my condo. We laugh, we joke, they give me rides, its all good. I did have an scoombagio taxi dude today, I negotiated a flat 100B fare, then he asked for a tip. Plus he was talking loudly on his phone the whole time. He got diddly more from me.

24 minutes ago, timendres said:

I have no problem with the people who use apps. Have used them myself. And I would hope the government can work out a solution where they can co-exist. But I sure as h3ll do not want to be forced to use an app to get a ride.

I walk to the start of my soi, and within seconds I have a motocy. I have never waited more than 2 minutes for a taxi, and less than a minute is typical. There is never any negotiations - the prices are set. The service is polite and efficient. I have never had a single problem. Ever. I simply do not understand why so many Farang have so many problems with transportation here. Makes me wonder who the real problem is.

I agree with most of what you write.

But there are some cases where motorcycle taxis riders adapt the bad habits of taxi drivers.

I.e. corner Soi Cowboy/Asoke. These riders always charged 40B for the trip to my condo. But some time ago they started charging 80B at night. At least they were fair enough to tell me before I started the trip. I asked them again because they know me since years but they insisted on 80B. So I never used them again - any time of the day.

Now I go to the other side of the soi, still 40B...

I also noticed absurd prices for some motorcycle taxis in Pattaya. That's one more reason to avoid that place.

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But there are some cases where motorcycle taxis riders adapt the bad habits of taxi drivers.

I.e. corner Soi Cowboy/Asoke. These riders always charged 40B for the trip to my condo. But some time ago they started charging 80B at night. At least they were fair enough to tell me before I started the trip. I asked them again because they know me since years but they insisted on 80B. So I never used them again - any time of the day.

I also noticed absurd prices for some motorcycle taxis in Pattaya. That's one more reason to avoid that place.

Cowboy... Pattaya... That says it all. May as well throw in Nana while you are at it. I am not judging. I enjoy the occasional outing in these venues. But we all know the crooks that cruise those spots, and we know how to deal with them (e.g., you just walk to the other side of the soi). There are certainly places notorious for dubious service. But here at OnNut, and other places where Thais actually live, the service is good, the prices are fair, and the thievery is rare.

4 hours ago, timendres said:
5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Cowboy... Pattaya... That says it all. May as well throw in Nana while you are at it. I am not judging. I enjoy the occasional outing in these venues. But we all know the crooks that cruise those spots, and we know how to deal with them (e.g., you just walk to the other side of the soi). There are certainly places notorious for dubious service. But here at OnNut, and other places where Thais actually live, the service is good, the prices are fair, and the thievery is rare.

Ok, what I forgot to write is that this is a new trend. A couple of years ago motorcycle taxis had fair prices also in Soi Cowboy, Nana and Pattaya - even at night.

I have been using the guys at the foot of Soi 11 outside my house for almost 20 years. They have proven honest, helpful and generous. Often stopping to drive me home for free when they see me and they are returning from a drop off. 

I have used them as messengers to pay for flight tickets, credit card bills, collect medicines from pharmacy and pretty much anything else I don't want to do personally. given the investment they have to make for their vests I understand their frustration, especially since many of the original guys  are still around. 

That said the ones at the mouth of the Soi are absolute <deleted> unless they know you. 

However the main thing is convenience, I know they are there and I trust their driving after many years I know who not to ride with and they know who I prefer. 

I can't see grab being useful for a short hop Pac Soi, nor can I see myself bother to call in advance. If I have the time to mess round waiting for a bike I have time to order a car or take a taxi. 

On 10/6/2018 at 11:09 AM, sweatalot said:

"The authorities should stop Grab and solve the problem of illegal services before a death occurs, they warned. "

other way round would be correct

The authorities should eliminate the taxi mafia and solve the problem of their violence and terrible service before a death occurs,

why is that???

since when doing illegal business is correct and doing legal business is wrong??

Authorities should eliminate grab taxi and its illegal services.

Stealing jobs of motorbike guys living and working on their corners for decades. 

Moreover, i never see any terrible service from motorbike taxi guys too. usually fine and yes, i am fine to pay them 30  baht more to support locals.

Grab should be closed or terrible things sure happen. some will defend their turf and i do the same if i wore them.

Think about it, you pay registration fees, mafia and all that shit and some foreign company from Singapore opens an illegal business and steal your job.

How fair is that?

Easy for a selfish foreigner living here for sometime to think this way. 

I am sure you think different if you are the guy whose jobs are stolen by a half foreign owned company.

4 hours ago, Galactus said:

why is that???

since when doing illegal business is correct and doing legal business is wrong??

Authorities should eliminate grab taxi and its illegal services.

Stealing jobs of motorbike guys living and working on their corners for decades. 

Moreover, i never see any terrible service from motorbike taxi guys too. usually fine and yes, i am fine to pay them 30  baht more to support locals.

Grab should be closed or terrible things sure happen. some will defend their turf and i do the same if i wore them.

Think about it, you pay registration fees, mafia and all that shit and some foreign company from Singapore opens an illegal business and steal your job.

How fair is that?

Easy for a selfish foreigner living here for sometime to think this way. 

I am sure you think different if you are the guy whose jobs are stolen by a half foreign owned company.

The taxi mafia have enjoyed and abused their monopoly at the expense of the people for far too long.

Nothing is preventing them from joining grab except their fragile egos and tiny brains.

19 hours ago, hobz said:

The taxi mafia have enjoyed and abused their monopoly at the expense of the people for far too long.

Nothing is preventing them from joining grab except their fragile egos and tiny brains.

How have motorcycle taxis abused anything?

Excellent service for very little money in all my 20 years of experience. 

4 hours ago, HooHaa said:

How have motorcycle taxis abused anything?

Excellent service for very little money in all my 20 years of experience. 

Just do a quick Google search for "motorcycle taxi Thailand overcharge"

I am quite sure there is no taxi mafia as my brother in law is a MC taxi driver and we have talked about this. Yes there are groups of MC taxis at strateguc locations. They respect each other but there is no such thing as an umbrella mafia covering big parts of the city. They indeed need to pay for the jacket, price can be as high as 150k. The availibility of MC jackets is limited so it is normal it has a value depending on the location. My brother in law who is a MC taxi driver for many years makes a very decent income. He earns around 50-60.000 per month. Besides the taxi service he has good contacts for courier services as well. It is understandable that these guys don’t appreciate unregistered Grab MC taxis.
For us foreigners it looks as a very dangerous way of travelling, but if you use them frequently you get used to their driving. Without them, Bangkok would be in a grid lock day and night.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 hours ago, hobz said:

Just do a quick Google search for "motorcycle taxi Thailand overcharge"

Why google when as i said I have been using the guys on Soi 11 for the last 15 years and have had no issues. The price is clear. No discussion, just ride and pay. 

2 hours ago, HooHaa said:

Why google when as i said I have been using the guys on Soi 11 for the last 15 years and have had no issues. The price is clear. No discussion, just ride and pay. 

Well, my mistake. I wasn't talking about a specific soi etc. I've also had good experiences and bad with all types of taxis everywhere around Thailand. It's a mixed bag.

You know where I never had a bad experience?? With grab.

On 10/6/2018 at 11:23 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

They can work for “grab”

Archived