What does the "calendar year" mean?

Hello,

Sorry to bother you guys with a stupid question, but what does the two land crossings per "calendar year" mean?

What I understand is that, the calendar year starts from January 1st till December 31st, so I can cross two land borders within that period, and that means, even if I crossed the land borders twice during the November and December 2018, the limit for the land crossings would be reset from January 2019, and I can cross the border twice again anytime in 2019? <-Is this correct?

Your answer would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

I think he’s asking is it from 1st January or from the first entry into Thailand.

The order states calendar year that is as stated in this topic.

If the order meant something else it would state it. For example it might say a total of 2 visa exempt entries over a period of a year (or 12 months) from the date of the first entry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dap said:

How many other types of year are there?

Can be 1 July this year to 30 June next year.

Can be 1 September to 31 October next year.

Can be xxxxxxx to xxxxxxx next year (but normally this would be exactly 12 calendar months).

In most cases / countries a business organization can decide for themselves their business year start and finish date. Could be different to other companies / other industries for many reasons:

- Personal finances / resources of the owner fit better into special dates.

- Taxation matters - could be that the owner believes there are some taxation gains by having a different start / finish date to other companies. Doubtful but who knows?

- Perhaps a specific industry uses start / finish date a bit different to other industries.

But what's also possible is that some governments set these dates.

In some countries if the company is listed on the Stock Exchange, then maybe the Stock

Exchange of that country has regulations about these dates.

• Like 1

It means per year as it appears on a calendar, as said, as opposed to being allowed two crossings in a 12 month period. i.e. it mean you can only come in twice in 2018, but coming in in June and November 2018, and also February 2019 and April 2019 would also be fine, despite that being four times in a 12 month period.

2 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

I think he’s asking is it from 1st January or from the first entry into Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Immigration in Mae Sai told me once it was since first entry into Thailand from your home country. He's wrong of course but I probably would have lost the argument.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If the order meant something else it would state it. For example it might say a total of 2 visa exempt entries over a period of a year (or 12 months) from the date of the first entry.

I think you're attributing too much rationality to bureaucrats. I'm a retired NCO and I can tell you it's hard to write an order or announcement that will be clear to everybody. Not everybody succeeds in doing it every time. Soldiers should recognize the problem because of the consequences of misunderstandings in their profession. Remember the Charge of the Light Brigade.

3 hours ago, genericptr said:

Immigration in Mae Sai told me once it was since first entry into Thailand from your home country. He's wrong of course but I probably would have lost the argument.

No way you can lose that argument.

Edited by andux

9 hours ago, Dap said:

How many other types of year are there?

A set period, as mentioned above: 1 January - 31 December OR the previous 12 months from the current date. The latter makes more sense in the case of determining how many entries have been made in a year.

• Like 1

Hmm. two land  crossings.  What exactly do they consider  a land crossing?  If I am on a retirement extensions, and I have a multi entry permit, does that mean I can only cross back into Thailand 2 times in a calendar year?  Or do they mean the context of the land crossing as it would apply to say getting a new Thai entry visa of some sort?

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Hmm. two land  crossings.  What exactly do they consider  a land crossing?  If I am on a retirement extensions, and I have a multi entry permit, does that mean I can only cross back into Thailand 2 times in a calendar year?  Or do they mean the context of the land crossing as it would apply to say getting a new Thai entry visa of some sort?

The question referred to visa exempt entries. Please do not confuse the issue.

I notice that the poster is satisfied with the answers given but he did ask what Calendar Year meant in the context of border crossings. Does Calendar Year compared with twelve month period give any advantage to the visitor in this situation?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I expect it to be more a matter of translation than definition, If only one word was used to mean year, (sounds like Bee) in the Thai version then there are two definitions neither of which say Calendar Year.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect