Overseas pensioners cheated by the British government

Karlo

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Karlo said:

For all UK expats there is a petition at change.org as over 520,000 expat Britons are being cheated out of their pensions by the British government. So if you are retired or near g retirement age you will most possibly be interested in signing this petition.

Which petition?  There is no access to any petition on that link, unless it's in the part that is not in English, can you clarify?   I'd be happy to sign it.

40 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

By refusing to pay them the annual increases that other pensioners who have made the same contributions receive, it's explained in the link. 

I knew my pension would be frozen when I retired here.

There was a thread about this before some years back, even being out of EU no UK government will do anything about it. 

I knew my pension would be frozen when I retired here.
There was a thread about this before some years back, even being out of EU no UK government will do anything about it. 
Much as i applaud what they do to get the pension increased,i believe pigs will fly before the govt does anything.we just dont matter to them,.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

That's sucks. Thankfully oz is indexed. Just got a $4 a week increase... Still thinking about which bottle of beer I will buy with it.

Lucky! I have around 60% of a NZ pension and about 70% of a UK pension, neither of which are index linked...…..

Dear Friends

what do the people working ( I use the word loosely!!)at the embassy do renew passports no give certificates for people no translate no go to this agency?? Help when arrested no got to another embassy they have a points system for helping other nationalities probably the french are best. why are there so many working there playing golf friday and monday and the weekend. Getting huge salaries and housing??/

enjoy while it lasts .Ow I forgot where did the money go to for selling the embassy at ploenchit Billions of baht at 40 to the pound?????

Dear Friends
what do the people working ( I use the word loosely!!)at the embassy do renew passports no give certificates for people no translate no go to this agency?? Help when arrested no got to another embassy they have a points system for helping other nationalities probably the french are best. why are there so many working there playing golf friday and monday and the weekend. Getting huge salaries and housing??/
enjoy while it lasts .Ow I forgot where did the money go to for selling the embassy at ploenchit Billions of baht at 40 to the pound?????
The role of the Embassy is to represent the British government and to boost trade and cultural ties.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

these pensions were always suspect and were never intended to last more than a generation or two by elitists who don't give a damn about anyone but themselves ... live with it or change the helmsmen ... in your case, helmslady and those who stood her for your vote

On 10/7/2018 at 5:24 PM, ivor bigun said:

Much as i applaud what they do to get the pension increased,i believe pigs will fly before the govt does anything.we just dont matter to them,.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The UK government doesn't care at all about its citizens who live overseas. We are subjected to the most ridiculous new rules and regulations.

The UK closed its consulate in Chiangmai and now wants to sell the British Embassy in Bangkok in spite of the fact that there are probably 50 times more UK expats living in Thailand now than about 20 years back. 

We have to apply for a new passport in a communist country Hong Kong

they won't give Thai wives a passport. They make difficult regulations and rules to make it impossible for wives to to live in the UK . When I got married in Thailand a long time ago I got my Thai wife a UK passport a week later.

The British Embassy in Bangkok used to give a great party on the Queen's Birthday with great food and drinks for all UK citizens. Thai consulates Also gave parties in Chiangmai and other large cities'.

I had money deducted from my salary in the UK to pay for my pension. But I couldn't get one because I didn't work long enough there. This is grossly unfair.

I'm sure others can add a lot of complaints.

I think that citizens from some Third World countries get better treatment from their embassies in Bangkok than those from the UK

On 10/8/2018 at 12:52 PM, Just Weird said:

Thanks.

On 10/8/2018 at 12:52 PM, Just Weird said:

Thanks.

When I did this and accessed the Change.org, all the questions are in Thai.  It would be helpful if you can kindly sort your website out so we can read it all (particularly the questions) in English, as it is principally aimed at UK ex-pats.  As also mentioned above, this was done some years ago, and I understand was taken to the EU Courts, but failed.  Unless you have something new to bring to the table, would suggest that, with the best intentions, you are wasting your and our time and only raising false hope.  You need to elaborate on how you are going to do this rather than going on the emotional black mail path, which will fail.

Actually there is information on endfrozenpensions.org.

And you can sign the petition.

it would appear there is discussion in the Commons and has some backing in the Lords.

Comrade Corbyn is reported to be considering changing this unfair rule. 

Sadly if Corbyn did get in - the £ will tank to about 10 baht to the pound - so swings and roundabouts on that one . 

1 hour ago, robertson468 said:

When I did this and accessed the Change.org, all the questions are in Thai.  It would be helpful if you can kindly sort your website out so we can read it all (particularly the questions) in English, as it is principally aimed at UK ex-pats.  As also mentioned above, this was done some years ago, and I understand was taken to the EU Courts, but failed.  Unless you have something new to bring to the table, would suggest that, with the best intentions, you are wasting your and our time and only raising false hope.  You need to elaborate on how you are going to do this rather than going on the emotional black mail path, which will fail.

What the blazes are you going on about?  It's not my website, neither is it my petition!  Geez...

2 hours ago, gamini said:

The UK government doesn't care at all about its citizens who live overseas. We are subjected to the most ridiculous new rules and regulations.

The UK closed its consulate in Chiangmai and now wants to sell the British Embassy in Bangkok in spite of the fact that there are probably 50 times more UK expats living in Thailand now than about 20 years back. 

We have to apply for a new passport in a communist country Hong Kong

I didn't know I could renew my UK passport here in Hong Kong. More info?? Thought it was international post only 

2 hours ago, gamini said:

they won't give Thai wives a passport. They make difficult regulations and rules to make it impossible for wives to to live in the UK . When I got married in Thailand a long time ago I got my Thai wife a UK passport a week later.

The British Embassy in Bangkok used to give a great party on the Queen's Birthday with great food and drinks for all UK citizens. Thai consulates Also gave parties in Chiangmai and other large cities'.

I had money deducted from my salary in the UK to pay for my pension. But I couldn't get one because I didn't work long enough there. This is grossly unfair.

I'm sure others can add a lot of complaints.

I think that citizens from some Third World countries get better treatment from their embassies in Bangkok than those from the UK

I would just love one politician to stand up and explain why overseas residents are treat any different to UK residents who have both paid the same into the NI system to cover pensions over their working lives.

The issue of residency is utterly irrelevant.

Archived