Embassy to stop providing proof of earnings

I read an article today that the British embassy will no longer be providing people with proof of income for their visa.

What seems strange is that for a retirement visa the monthly income is 65,000 baht but for a married visa is 40,000 am I reading this correct.

?

Surely if your married you will need to be earning much more to support yourself the wife the mother and father and brothers and sisters and children ?

I must have read it wrong.

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, KKBrian said:

Surely if your married you will need to be earning much more to support yourself the wife the mother and father and brothers and sisters and children ?

Nothing new and it has been discussed numerous times on this forum.

Well a contrary argument could be that a retired person is probably on their own, predominantly living a Farang lifestyle in Thailand. A person married to a Thai, even with an extended family,  could be benefiting from a Wife's income and even benefiting from Brothers and Sisters contributions dependant upon lifestyle. Not everybody marries into a non working lazy Thai family you know,  no more than in Farangland land that the man is the sole breadwinner.

• Like 2

EXTRACT of GOV UK advisory:

"...British Nationals should now demonstrate that they have an amount of at least 800,000 THB in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the visa application, or a monthly income of at least 65,000 THB transferred into an account in Thailand for a retirement visa.

For a marriage visa, the amounts are 400,000 THB in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the visa application, or a monthly income of at least 40,000 THB transferred into an account in Thailand. A bank statement should be used as the supporting document for obtaining a Thai retirement or marriage visa...."

Having just looked at https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22  maybe I'm going blind, but I do not see a requirement that INCOME has to be transferred or paid into a Thai Bank account as stated by GOV UK above

I am on Retirement Visa renewals. I get my Pension Income paid in a Nationwide UK Bank account and withdraw as needed by ATM. As far as I can see, I do not see why this and supporting Bank Statements are not adequate (subject to Thai Imm. not requiring an Embassy Proof of Income Letter from 01/01/2019 of course). 

If so looks like I will have to waste Nationwide postage and end my online Bank statements.

Just a thought. Why can't an original UK State Pension details Letter and Private Pension details letters submitted once to Thai Imm. not be adequate Proof of Income. Once sighted by Thai Imm. , it could note that fact on their Database that Proof of adequate income has been previously provided". Seems to me that would save us and Thai Imm. a lot of work.

I suppose the REALLY IMPORTANT question will be "What will Thai Imm. officially accept from 01/01/19 as proof of Income?"  It currently requires Embassy Proof of Income Letter, IF income is used as basis of meeting financial requirement. 

My fear is if they only accept money in Savings account from that date, because I cannot see any way I can get  ฿800,000 into my Thai saving account by April 2019 (3 months rule). I have the income but not the ability to save enough each month from now on to get my savings to ฿800,000 in such a relatively short period of time

Really worried!! ????

Edited by gdhm

11 minutes ago, gdhm said:

"...British Nationals should now demonstrate that they have an amount of at least 800,000 THB in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the visa application, or a monthly income of at least 65,000 THB transferred into an account in Thailand for a retirement visa.

For a marriage visa, the amounts are 400,000 THB in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the visa application, or a monthly income of at least 40,000 THB transferred into an account in Thailand. A bank statement should be used as the supporting document for obtaining a Thai retirement or marriage visa...."

Having just looked at https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22  maybe I'm going blind, but I do not see a requirement that INCOME has to be transferred or paid into a Thai Bank account as stated by GOV UK above

I am on Retirement Visa renewals. I get my Pension Income paid in a Nationwide UK Bank account and withdraw as needed by ATM. As far as I can see, I do not see why this and supporting Bank Statements are not adequate (subject to Thai Imm. not requiring an Embassy Proof of Income Letter from 01/01/2019 of course). 

If so looks like I will have to waste Nationwide postage and end my online Bank statements.

Just a thought. Why can't an original UK State Pension details Letter and Private Pension details letters submitted once to Thai Imm. not be adequate Proof of Income. Once sighted by Thai Imm. , it could note that fact on their Database that Proof of adequate income has been previously provided". Seems to me that would save us and Thai Imm. a lot of work.

I suppose the REALLY IMPORTANT question will be "What will Thai Imm. officially accept from 01/01/19 as proof of Income?"  It currently requires Embassy Proof of Income Letter, IF income is used as basis of meeting financial requirement. 

My fear is if they only accept money in Savings account from that date, because I cannot see any way I can get  ฿800,000 into my Thai saving account by April 2019 (3 months rule). I have the income but not the ability to save enough each month from now on to get my savings to ฿800,000 in such a relatively short period of time

Really worried!! ????

That what they say you have to put the money in the account

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing new and it has been discussed numerous times on this forum.

He obviously wasn't raising a genuine discussion point, he was trying (and failing) to be comical...

"Surely if your married you will need to be earning much more to support yourself the wife the mother and father and brothers and sisters and children?"

14 hours ago, gdhm said:

Really worried!! ????

I think you will find that income will still be an option going forward, the only difference being you will have to show the money going into a Thai Bank account over 6/12 months rather than show an income letter from Embassy. It will in fact make it easier, I think now they need to clarify exactly what they want so that people using income/combo method know exactly what to do and what is required.

People using ATM withdrawals to fund their stay in Thailand might need to make some changes - it is not a cost effective method anyway

I transfer money into my Thai bank account 2x a year and then withdraw when I need it, it is all recorded in my Thai bank account, I also have a balance greater than 800k but that is not what is being discussed

Overall I think things just got easier.

15 hours ago, gdhm said:

Really worried!! ????

Agree with you, embassy's interpretation of the rules.

Same as the Dutch embassy requires a net income, whereas Thai immigration doesn't require it to be net.

Let's be clear about at least one thing.

Thai immigration has NOT announced it will be accepting any income based applications (including combination ones) without an embassy income letter.

The British embassy does not have the power to invent Thai immigration policies.