"Easy Ride" for pensioners in Thailand now over, says Pattaya Radio

webfact

58 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

So, the fact that the British Embassy will not issue these letters and you say Thai Immigration has always required and that there is no announced change from Immigration, where does that,leave the Brits using this method in the past?

Up a certain creek, without a certain instrument. 

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, superal said:

I guess there could be a lot of new marriages about to happen with long term unmarried couples tying the knot so as to show 400k instead of double 800k .

As for the other UK state pensioners not all is lost as a non o multi entry visa is easily obtained without any proof of income , just got  to do the 90 day border crossing .

"just got  to do the 90 day border crossing"

Which is precisely why so many pensioners have opted for the "Proof of Income" letter - so that they do not have to sit on a bus/train/ferry for up to 16 - 18 hours every 90 days!

Why would you risk using an agent when Big Joke is cracking down on agents and just arrested a big time agent for providing fraudulent services?
We dont know that yet, he is cracking down on agents who are scamming the system.

But its still legal to borrow 800k from someone to get the visa. If you borrow from the agent or a private person doesnt really matter.
The agents are working closely with IO.

I can't see that business just dissappear , whatever Big Joke will say to the media.

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I just heard a loudspeaker on a truck that drove past my house in English say "Farang put 800,000 in Thai bank of face arrest!"

I'm not joking.

Rumour has it Immi. has hired the Goodyear blimp and is busy painting banners, I'm shocked.

8 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

In my case, stressed and panicking!

Once again, life has delivered an unexpected, 'below the belt punch' ☹️.

I would suggest it is more of an irritation rather than a cause for panic given the 2 options now in front of those concerned? namely agent or 800k? Yes/No?

5 hours ago, amse said:

Don't forget that even though there are thousands of law abiding foreigners living here who can't afford the extreme amount needed in a bank to get a retirement visa, and there are many lawyers helping them out, and understanding immigration officers giving honest foreign retired people a break, that it's a win-win situation for everyone, and the income the retiree's do get goes into Thailand by buying food, renting an apartment/house, buying/renting a vehicle, buying clothes & etc. It not only would be a sad state of affairs for not only the farangs, but also the Thai's providing the services if thousands, maybe even millions had to leave. If the Thai government would lower the amount needed in a bank to say half what it is for a retirement visa, Thailand would be much better off because of it!

Moving half-way round the world to live in a foreign country and you don't have 800K (US $25,000) extreme amount?

31 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

What the hell? Are you serious? People pay 20k to an agent to do some forms for them and jump the queue up at immigration for them??? ????????????

I pay 30k for an agent to go to Immigration on my behalf, even though I fulfill all the requirements.

I provide all the necessary documentation, and avoid the stress (and cost) of travelling to Immigration every 90 days.

It 'works' for me, or rather it did - until the brit. embassy decided they weren't going to provide 'proof of income' letters anymore...

2 minutes ago, balo said:

We dont know that yet, he is cracking down on agents who are scamming the system.

But its still legal to borrow 800k from someone to get the visa. If you borrow from the agent or a private person doesnt really matter.

I can't see that business just dissappear , whatever Big Joke will say to the media.

It is not the borrowing of the money, it is that the money is not being seasoned for the 3 months as required by the immigration act and the main offenders of the lending of the money on the short period basis for that purpose are the crooked agents, hence the crackdown on the crooked agents. Not all agents are crooked.

6 minutes ago, balo said:

No it is NOT legal to borrow 800K from someone.

That money has to be shown from coming outside of Thailand and in your bank for 3 months.

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Let's break down what's happening objectively.

The British embassy will stop issuing income letters. They are telling their nationals wanting to use an income method to show bank deposits in Thailand instead. Thai immigration officially still REQUIRES embassy income letters of all nationals. Confused? You should be. For now, it would be rational for Brits to prepare to use the 800K bank in a Thai bank method and ignore the strange advice from their own embassy.

For now, this appears to only be a British thing in stopping the income letters. 

There is no hard evidence that it will spread, only fear and rumors.

As far as CORRUPTION. As far as VISA AGENTS and IMMIGRATION OFFICERS engaging in corruption allowing applications that don't even begin to comply with the rules get accepted in exchange for cash payments, the possibility that there might someday be a CRACKDOWN has always been there. Is that crackdown going to happen soon? Maybe. Maybe not.

Personally I have always warned people not to use visa agents in that way because you never know, someday it might bite you real bad. 

As far as people doing LEGIT applications, bank or income (if not British) there is as yet no confirmed news that there is any change at all. 

Maybe there will be such changes soon, and I understand the reason that people of all nationalities are freaking out and that's including people not engaged in corruption, but I think it's time to CHILL until we actually hear confirmed news of such major changes (for all nationals). 

Brits who are going to have problems complying even legitimately, OK, it might be time for them to panic. 

In Vietnam 1 year visa no problem, with certain tyoes you dont need to make visa runs. Besode beer is cheaper and better. (that hint for certain group of pensioners)

1 hour ago, KOZMO said:

So what is the problem??? If you are here on a legitimate visa and have your 800k, no problem.

Now if you are a backpacker, trying to live here on a tourist visa, time to get rid of these scum!!!

Anyone without a visa should be sent back to wherever they came from. Clean up the scum.

No more falangs begging on the street, too disgusting !!!

"So what is the problem???"

If you can't see the problem, you shouldn't even be posting a comment!

But just to help - the problem is not "backpackers trying to live here on a tourist visa" or "scum" or ""falangs begging on the streets" - it is people who have lived here for years using a letter from the British Embassy to prove that they have income of 800,000 baht a year (or 65,000 baht a month).

The problem is that the British Embassy are going to stop issuing those letters!!!

P.S. Do you have an income of 65,000 baht a month?

And probably just a lot steam and hot air going into this news to get clicks.

They say foriegners will get "caught out"

yes, a few for now.

Then the Thai guys who supposed to do all the "catching" will get offered a more attractive incentive.

Put this in the bank...your dodgey visa/agent/cost has just gone from 20k baht to 30k

6 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

No it is NOT legal to borrow 800K from someone.

That money has to be shown from coming outside of Thailand and in your bank for 3 months.

Complete nonsense. I have owned several condos , sold them with a profit and used that money for the 800k requirement. Immigration have no problem with that.

39 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The way I read all this is that it has nothing to do with Thai Immigration it is all about the British Embassy  not being able to verify the Brit ex-pats income so they will not issue any letter that verifies any Brits income. How do Brits prove their income to the Embassy to obtain this income letter? With Australia I can download my pension payment statements direct from my pension supplier. I can then supply that to the Australian Embassy with my Stat Dec. Is the British system that much different? Not Thai Immigration's problem.

Also it was suggested that emails be sent to the British Government Minister. I would go another step and cc: that same email to the Shadow Minister and to some of the media outlets, but make sure when you do the email just do the one email and use the cc: addresses as well.

pretty much the same, but the fact that the British embassy cannot and perhaps will not authenticate the docs you provide means they now cannot sign off in a letter to Immigration, US AUS CAN do not do this, it is the applicant that swears the information to be true - the Embassy legally witnesses that declaration (Affidavit)  which means they have absolutely no legal responsibility for what you claim, if Thai authorities want to accept that then up to them

23 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Yes, three different people in three different phone calls yesterday morning when I read about the s..t hitting the proverbial fan. One was a very well spoken lady, the next a very apologetic, quiet spoken bloke and thirdly what sounded like a Spanish lady, with whom I have spoken before, last year regarding my Income letter. All three were very courteous.

Thank you.  I'll 'phone them tomorrow to express my displeasure at their obvious lack of concern about those of us affected by their decision to stop providing proof of income letters.

We always knew they couldn't give a toss about us - but to make it this clear??:!

15 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

It is not the borrowing of the money, it is that the money is not being seasoned for the 3 months as required by the immigration act and the main offenders of the lending of the money on the short period basis for that purpose are the crooked agents, hence the crackdown on the crooked agents. Not all agents are crooked.

There is no written Thai law that says the money has to be seasoned for 3 months, we had a discussion about that before , show me a link in Thai , you will not find it. 

Only recommended by lawyers, embassies . 

Its still up to the immigration officer to approve your visa based on the provided documents. 800k in you account for a shorter period than 3 months, it happens all the time and I do not believe that practice will just dissappear . 

16 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Yet an agent in CM was assisting at 25k last week

most agents, even lawyers do the same thing

13 minutes ago, balo said:

Complete nonsense. I have owned several condos , sold them with a profit and used that money for the 800k requirement. Immigration have no problem with that.

But has it been in the bank for 3 months?

29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The acid test is whether other embassies announce ending the letters. It was mentioned the U.S. letters have already added that the embassy accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the information in the letter. If that continues to be accepted at immigration, then the Brits can backtrack and do the same. Or maybe they would still consider that too big a risk. 

Personally, I can suggest a solution that is similar to pretty much every other country that offers programs for retired expats. 

Make the income thing PENSION based.

Have people prove their pension one time, good for life.

Then income based people can use that proof for life. Sure it will usually be under 65K. Then use the combination method.

"It was mentioned the U.S. letters have already added that the embassy accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the information in the letter. If that continues to be accepted at immigration, then the Brits can backtrack and do the same. Or maybe they would still consider that too big a risk."

The Brit. embassy couldn't give a toss about Brits. living here - so I doubt they'll backtrack ☹️.

Us Brits. reliant on the 'income route' need to either deposit 800k in a Thai bank, or hope that Immigration come up with a way to accept our proof of income - without a letter from the embassy that is supposed to help us.....

13 minutes ago, balo said:

Selling condos with a profit in an over-flooded and under-selling condo market?

Keep kidding yourself.

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

I don't understand,why the embassy can not verify income, doesn't everyone have a tax return that indicates one's income for the previous year?  Wouldn't that be sufficient?

I submit letters from my State and Pension Provider which I then attached to the pension letter to Immigration. I can hardly see the DWP & Civil Service falsifying docs for me to satisfy the needs of the Thai Immigration. So the question is verify what?

34 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

If you go onto the British Embassy Bangkok site, there is an email contact address, I forget exactly what it is but when I clicked and it opened my Mail, the email would not go through. I then noticed that their email address had upper case (capitals in old money) for three of the words, which I changed to little letters and off it went OK. I actually called the Consulate and told them about it. Then there is the dedicated email address to apply for your Income letter, [email protected] which is where I sent all my stuff earlier today. 

My emails (address from the Brit. embassy Bangkok site) went through without any problem - but the reply was an automated response to their website....

1 hour ago, KOZMO said:

So what is the problem??? If you are here on a legitimate visa and have your 800k, no problem.

Now if you are a backpacker, trying to live here on a tourist visa, time to get rid of these scum!!!

Anyone without a visa should be sent back to wherever they came from. Clean up the scum.

No more falangs begging on the street, too disgusting !!!

America would love you

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

But has it been in the bank for 3 months?

Yes that was many years ago , so never touched the money to get interest . My point was the money does not always have to come from abroad. 

7 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Selling condos with a profit in an over-flooded and under-selling condo market?

Keep kidding yourself.

This was back in 2012 - 2014 . Different market. 

12 minutes ago, balo said:

There is no written Thai law that says the money has to be seasoned for 3 months, we had a discussion about that before , show me a link in Thai , you will not find it. 

Only recommended by lawyers, embassies . 

Its still up to the immigration officer to approve your visa based on the provided documents. 800k in you account for a shorter period than 3 months, it happens all the time and I do not believe that practice will just dissappear . 

You sound like you know a lot.  And you will know different applications of the rules at different offices cause a lot of this confusion.  I have applied with 88 days money in the bank and was told there was a problem.  They said come back after 2 more days and pay a fine for the overstay.

It should have been OK for 90 days, but they calculated each month as being of 30 days and did not allow for some being 31 days!

1 hour ago, motaz said:

What exactly happened?.I am going through the same thing now dealing with an officer who didn't like me.Now that you have experience with this situation, what would be your advice? Should I withdraw the application and try a different immigration office? .I have all my papers in order including 1.5 million in the bank for 1 year and I own a condo and I an 56 years old.

Invest 1  million in a 20 year Thai elite no questions asked  visa

Archived