"Easy Ride" for pensioners in Thailand now over, says Pattaya Radio

webfact

4 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Would it not be surprising if BJ increases the amount of money in the bank or monthly income? Thai banks will be voting for him in the next election. 

This is what I’m talking about regarding the misinformation and rumors you don’t know that and he does have a name and it’s not “big joke”.  We should really stop repeating that dumb nickname it just makes us look stupid and it’s disrespectful to him and we need him on our side.  Let’s all at least try to spread some good will with the local people and especially the government.  

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Issanjohn said:

This is what I’m talking about regarding the misinformation and rumors you don’t know that and he does have a name and it’s not “big joke”.  We should really stop repeating that dumb nickname it just makes us look stupid and it’s disrespectful to him and we need him on our side.  Let’s all at least try to spread some good will with the local people and especially the government.  

I don't who gave him his nickname, but nicknames are more common here here than using their real names. Is TV on his list of things to do? Is no information worse than misinformation? 

3 minutes ago, inThailand said:

If they can't get they necessary paperwork to continue their visa, doesn't this mean we will be seeing an increase of illegals or overstayers? For nothing is worse than returning to their home country. 

Right now it’s only a British Embassy problem which will eventually get sorted out somehow have a little faith.  Every year there’s always something and it always ends up working out it seems like.  

2 minutes ago, inThailand said:

I don't who gave him his nickname, but nicknames are more common here here than using their real names. Is TV on his list of things to do? Is no information worse than misinformation? 

I’d rather hear nothing at all then BS, and nicknames meant to insult or cause defamation of character are actually not common in Thailand and technically could be considered illegal.  I remember in Japan they took defamation of character a lot more seriously.  Most Thai nicknames are just a short way to say their real name which is actually common here but not insults.  Bottom line us foreigners need to stop insulting him.  

But okay thanks for your input now I’m seriously gonna stop reading all this garbage like I said earlier.  There’s only one person on this website who I trust for information who deals in facts only.  From now on I’m only talking to him whenever I have a question or concern that I can’t get answered through official channels because he is actually almost always right about immigration laws, visas, and extensions and he does not share your opinion.  I’m not gonna mention his screen name because I don’t want to throw his name around publicly.  

14 minutes ago, Issanjohn said:

I’d rather hear nothing at all then BS, and nicknames meant to insult or cause defamation of character are actually not common in Thailand and technically could be considered illegal.  I remember in Japan they took defamation of character a lot more seriously.  Most Thai nicknames are just a short way to say their real name which is actually common here but not insults.  Bottom line us foreigners need to stop insulting him.  

But okay thanks for your input now I’m seriously gonna stop reading all this garbage like I said earlier.  There’s only one person on this website who I trust for information who deals in facts only.  From now on I’m only talking to him whenever I have a question or concern that I can’t get answered through official channels because he is actually almost always right about immigration laws, visas, and extensions and he does not share your opinion.  I’m not gonna mention his screen name because I don’t want to throw his name around publicly.  

Ubon Joke ? ???? 

31 minutes ago, Issanjohn said:

"Big Joke" is actually the Thai nick name and its nothing to do with the English word "joke" , its a Thai word , something to do with food or something

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

"Big Joke" is actually the Thai nick name and its nothing to do with the English word "joke" , its a Thai word , something to do with food or something

Thai porridge, or congee. Although it's pronounced joke it's usually spelt jok without the e, not sure why they chose this spelling. 

4 hours ago, inThailand said:

I can't remember a topic that has been so discussed as this UK embassy pension letter. Didn't realize how many bank on it versus having cash in the bank. Where will they all relocate too? 

I heard a number of Brits are moving to Myanmar and will be setting up an expat community there.  Possibly Yangon.

6 hours ago, inThailand said:

If they can't get they necessary paperwork to continue their visa, doesn't this mean we will be seeing an increase of illegals or overstayers? For nothing is worse than returning to their home country. 

Why would someone choose to stay without a visa rather than use an agent?

Hope the Mayanmar Refugees are the ones that make me cringe. They learn a bit of Thai, so when just a Hi , OK , nod n smile. is all the 7/11 Lady needs to be respected, they go into the Gettysburg Address in the worst Thai accent ever heard to Man. Then have the audacity to smile at you as if you just fell off the Boat and were impressed. As for the Topic old hands retired or married, supporting Thais wont have a prob as long as the pension comes in.

8 hours ago, inThailand said:

Would it not be surprising if BJ increases the amount of money in the bank or monthly income? Thai banks will be voting for him in the next election. 

Ideally they'd come down to match what's happened to other currencies but you're more likely to be right

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I heard a number of Brits are moving to Myanmar and will be setting up an expat community there.  Possibly Yangon.

Good luck, nothing works and so boring.  At least they will have something new to moan about on forums such as this though.

Trouble is, you're not a citizen or a permanent resident, so you're always at the mercy of the regime du jour.

Hopefully nothing will change, but you always have to plan for the possibility that it might.

My own gut feeling is that there is an increasing hostility to the retiree expat community, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to some out of the blue increase in the bank requirements.

Hope I'm wrong, but I would hope for best, but plan for the worst

18 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Years ago, I told my wife about this embassy letter. She advised me to put the cash in the bank as she said, ''How can they prove this as people lie?'' She saw how other embassies dealt with this all and just said, ''This can be pie in the sky stuff written on the letter and how are you going to prove it''. She said this time and time again to me. As the years past, we met many farangs and several of them do not have money. My wife just told me, ''See, this is not good. This will come to an end one day. I am happy you put money in the bank''.

I think this is all part of the problem. I am partly concerned. This could spill over to other areas. It was a real long time back when you only needed 200K. I will deal with it if it does change but I think some kind of change may be coming. 

I like you, do not think they want to kick out all expats but I think the quality of expat is for some reason being looked at with all these renewed raids and with elections coming, something I feel has changed in the overall big picture. The British Embassy deals with around 3000 such letters a year (I read in another thread) it seems and with a lot more British people in Thailand then that, how are the rest showing their income per year? Most of my British friends have the 800/400K in the bank. 

I really do hope I have read all this wrong and in the next few weeks, this just blows over.

If your Mrs is that smart perhaps she'd consider class legal action against her own govt re the discrimination that allows financial exemption for Thai/ ferang relationships when the genders are the other way round?

To Realy confuse them, Where did this money come From Sir.?. From my ATM back home. The IMO Lady at the next desk cracked up,that was ages ago,they very serious these days. My Wife does the talking now, i just hang around. To me its her granting me permission to stay in Her House, and i must provide Som Tam via the 800K Bht. 30 mins of feeling a prat before the Headmaster, and one year Marry Thing done. What they have used 25 years of 90 Day bits if paper for shall remain a Mystery.TIT.

On 10/9/2018 at 6:30 AM, webfact said:

Many others commenting believed the move was likely to have been ordered by the Thai authorities in a bid to close a loophole that allowed those who have insufficient funds or income to remain in Thailand long term.

A financially lucrative 'loophole' that is fully enabled and fully operated by Thai citizens and Thai government workers ONLY.

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

They already did... in 1824 actually.

You heard...

5 hours ago, sungod said:

Good luck, nothing works and so boring.  At least they will have something new to moan about on forums such as this though.

True. It's all way, way too basic and parochial over here. A bit nicer out in the boonies though.

But honestly, why anyone in their right mind would want to swap one junta for another is quite beyond me.

32 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You don´t get it.

I do not assume they should be. The point is the government thinks they should be.

Thus, the growing disdain....

Hey, ease up on the "you don't get it", as though you have all the answers and every one else is an idiot. You are now privy to what the Thai government thinks as well? Just how long have you lived in Thailand that allows you access to such information?

On 10/9/2018 at 12:44 PM, Jingthing said:

Yes, you're right, "crackdowns" tend to be some PR noise for a little while, and then fade, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible for a crackdown someday to actually be real and persistent. 

Yes some crackdowns have lasted 2 months

4 hours ago, annabel said:
Yes some crackdowns have lasted 2 months

Unfortunately, "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" doesn't apply here. Barely a week passed last year when he was wasn't in the headlines with his latest roundup of arrests. Once the numbers on overstayers start to look less impressive, one can expect the searchlight to be directed further afield. 

13 hours ago, The manic said:

Anyway. Is this exactly 65k baht or an average of 65k baht a month?

The BE income letter worksheet allowed one to enter varying monthly/quarterly/ad hoc amounts where they could be totaled and divided by 12 to clearly indicate the monthly average. I am of the disposition that such practicality and easy embrace of real-world financial dynamics will not be countenanced by Thai Immigration. It is tantamount to inviting personal service by K. Khanot on the day you apply at your regional IO with such disparate but ultimately totally qualifying fiscal numbers.

On 10/14/2018 at 1:22 AM, inThailand said:

This is was an interesting statement. 

There are plenty of other options beyond Thailand and beyond returning to a Home country. 

In SEA..Philippines.. Eastern Europe.. Bulgaria. Spain. Mexico. Also a few countries in Central and SOUTH America. 

21 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

There are plenty of other options beyond Thailand and beyond returning to a Home country. 

Yeah, that's true. The problem is for those guys who've built up committments here. Personally, I think you should always be able to walk away. It's the sunk cost fallacy. Started my life over again more than once. It has to be admitted though, it gets harder as you get older. Still, new horizons beckon, reminds me of a poem -

"We are not now that strength which in old days

Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are, -

Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

32 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

This is was an interesting statement. 

In SEA..Philippines.. Eastern Europe.. Bulgaria. Spain. Mexico. Also a few countries in Central and SOUTH America. 

There are "not plenty of options" if you are married to a Thai, and have a Thai family

Archived