"Easy Ride" for pensioners in Thailand now over, says Pattaya Radio

webfact

I wonder when Big Jobbie and his pals will start to scrutinise the 'marriages of convience' AKA village marriages.  Many such marriages are clearly a con trick to get visa extensions on the cheap. The IO could start by doing Thai language tests on farang men married to Thai women. The rational is that if after a couple of years the husband can not speak Thai there is clearly no real relationship.   Many people who jump though hoops to obey the Thai rules and regulations object to some farangs taking the easy and cheaper way out and going for a 'marriage visa'. 
Dont think so fella, you need a marrige certificate from the amphur you marry at, not some scam where you hand a tray of dosh and tawng to a rice farmer and his wife, as Brucie would say,, didn't she do well..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

Dont think so fella, you need a marrige certificate from the amphur you marry at, not some scam where you hand a tray of dosh and tawng to a rice farmer and his wife, as Brucie would say,, didn't she do well..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks for your input but some clarification would be helpful. What does tawng mean?  Are you suggesting informal 'village wedding' dont exist? Amphur certificate or not...does this mean they are not marriages of convenience? I suggest many farang marry Thai women to get an easy cheap visa and that the wife functions as an interpreter and assistant. If after several years of marriage the farang can not speak thai then there is something suspicious about the relationship. So the IO and police should check up on these marriages of convenience. 

8 minutes ago, The manic said:

Thanks for your input but some clarification would be helpful. What does tawng mean?  Are you suggesting informal 'village wedding' dont exist? Amphur certificate or not...does this mean they are not marriages of convenience? I suggest many farang marry Thai women to get an easy cheap visa and that the wife functions as an interpreter and assistant. If after several years of marriage the farang can not speak thai then there is something suspicious about the relationship. So the IO and police should check up on these marriages of convenience. 

These village marriages are not legally recognized and so you cannot get any sort of visa with one .

They are just ceremony's and not proper marriages

I wonder when Big Jobbie and his pals will start to scrutinise the 'marriages of convience' AKA village marriages.  Many such marriages are clearly a con trick to get visa extensions on the cheap. The IO could start by doing Thai language tests on farang men married to Thai women. The rational is that if after a couple of years the husband can not speak Thai there is clearly no real relationship.   Many people who jump though hoops to obey the Thai rules and regulations object to some farangs taking the easy and cheaper way out and going for a 'marriage visa'. 
To be fair, the giving of money and gold (sin sod)is thai tradition, but usually that's for one that's still got a bit of tread on the tyres, and not for some bint from pattaya who's been cocked more times than Davy Crocketts rifle like mine ..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, The manic said:

Thanks for your input but some clarification would be helpful. What does tawng mean?  Are you suggesting informal 'village wedding' dont exist? Amphur certificate or not...does this mean they are not marriages of convenience? I suggest many farang marry Thai women to get an easy cheap visa and that the wife functions as an interpreter and assistant. If after several years of marriage the farang can not speak thai then there is something suspicious about the relationship.  

Many guys I know married who cannot speak would seem like a stretch reason to dump ones Visa.

Not suspicious, I just think they are mostly too stupid or lazy like me.

There is no legal "So....................."

18 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

I guess you missed the part where the British embassy is no longer providing their backing snd good name to the dubious documents. There has been a huge change there.

Next change is Britons will no longer have that document. Immigration MIGHT accept documented income steam or not.

But clearly change is afoot

The guy was talking about 'visa agents' I think 'donating money for a while' - they do not use income letters from Uk embassy. 

So if a man doesn't learn a certain level of Thai his marriage is not real? Some Thai women speak English.  

Perhaps you can describe these fake marriages better.  ?  Do these people live together?  Does the man see other women?  But lives with another who he calls his wife?  Does he pay for their lodging and food?  Sounds like many legit marriages.  

2 hours ago, Elkski said:

So if a man doesn't learn a certain level of Thai his marriage is not real? Some Thai women speak English.  

Perhaps you can describe these fake marriages better.  ?  Do these people live together?  Does the man see other women?  But lives with another who he calls his wife?  Does he pay for their lodging and food?  Sounds like many legit marriages.  

I don't speak much Thai and have been happily married for 10years. My wife speaks fluent English and I'm not very good at languages and also a bit lazy.... 

Don't feel the need to learn it as I can get by and am working abroad.

12 hours ago, The manic said:

Lord, I had to laugh at this.

You need to go to Ampur and register your marriage. It is a legal marriage, lots of paperwork like all things Thai and then to go get your Marriage extension, it is a load more of paperwork and hoops to jump through. Village marriages are mainly for Thais. Most of my Thai friends are village married because a great deal of the guys in the end just walk away when it gets too hard for them. I have one girl in our village who refuses to marry her village married husband at Ampur because she is poor and does not want the house he bought for her, under just her name, to be lost in case of a split up. I do know farangs that are village married only but it was to keep the girlfriend only happy but they are all on retirement extensions. They know at any time they can walk away from there girlfriends and many do after a few years to another woman. 

As for not speaking Thai, my wife speaks English very well. My Thai is basic and as for learning Lana, it would take me more than a few years. More likely 7-10 years as I am not a fast learner. I only speak really to my wife and her English is all we need. And no, it is not cheaper going for a marriage visa. You are married, you have a responsibility now much greater than just having a gik. You have a family as well now that may need help. If you dare tell me I have no real relationship from my wife because I took the 'easy and cheap way out, you got to be kidding me.  For me, marriage is something I hope I can have till either of us dies because we want to be together. Not because I want a cheap visa option. I lost 6,000 baht a month off my pension for getting married as a penalty back in Australia. 

The only thing that worries me is if they want you to keep bringing money in monthly if you have 400K in the bank. Like I said, my wife works, I bring in only what we need as extra to live and I leave my main, very healthy nest egg back in Australia. I have done the right thing, bought in 400K from Australia, done it all legal and if they want to change everything now mid-stream, to me, that is wrong. Most of us have followed the law but the few who have not, they may have stuffed this up for the rest of us. I do not want to bring over millions of baht. My normal return back in Australia is between 6-8% a year just on my shares and 2.8% for cash held. If Immigration makes this too hard even for there own citizens that 100,000's of farangs look after, it says a great deal about what is really going on. This is then more about the 'farang' and not about 'good guys in and 'bad guys out'. It is more about only wanting short time rich tourists in and the 'wealth factor' in a developing country. If this did happen, I and my wife would move to somewhere more accommodating. 

On 10/10/2018 at 6:39 PM, GinBoy2 said:

Well I guess I was proved right with this one!

Now just keep your fingers crossed they don't decide to change ฿800/400 rule

WOW!  I’ve never seen hysteria like this before everyone thinks the sky is falling and it’s the end of the world.  They’re not going to force expats to leave we pump to much money into their economy.  Immigration has NOT made any official public statements about this which I’ve confirmed beyond a reasonable doubt.  This is a British Embassy problem and their problem only at this point anyway.  No other embassy is taking this action except for the Brits.  And I’m sure it’ll get sorted out for the Brits as well it’s not like they’re all just gonna have to pick up and leave over a single piece of paper.  

People are being over dramatic although I do understand the concern it’s definitely something to be concerned about for sure even I’m worried about it and I’m not even British.  Although I can assure you that anyone who just leaves Thailand after years of living here over a piece of paper is probably gonna feel pretty stupid when everything eventually works out which it will I’m sure.  It seems like every year there’s always some new problem with visas and extensions but it always works out in the end.  Even if it did actually get that bad as in like 1980 Iran bad as some people are acting like it is you could still at least get a new visa in Savanneket Laos.  I mean think about it do you seriously believe that Thailand is just gonna kick out all expats?  I think not lol.  

19 minutes ago, Issanjohn said:

People are being over dramatic although I do understand the concern it’s definitely something to be concerned about for sure even I’m worried about it and I’m not even British

Years ago, I told my wife about this embassy letter. She advised me to put the cash in the bank as she said, ''How can they prove this as people lie?'' She saw how other embassies dealt with this all and just said, ''This can be pie in the sky stuff written on the letter and how are you going to prove it''. She said this time and time again to me. As the years past, we met many farangs and several of them do not have money. My wife just told me, ''See, this is not good. This will come to an end one day. I am happy you put money in the bank''.

I think this is all part of the problem. I am partly concerned. This could spill over to other areas. It was a real long time back when you only needed 200K. I will deal with it if it does change but I think some kind of change may be coming. 

I like you, do not think they want to kick out all expats but I think the quality of expat is for some reason being looked at with all these renewed raids and with elections coming, something I feel has changed in the overall big picture. The British Embassy deals with around 3000 such letters a year (I read in another thread) it seems and with a lot more British people in Thailand then that, how are the rest showing their income per year? Most of my British friends have the 800/400K in the bank. 

I really do hope I have read all this wrong and in the next few weeks, this just blows over.

38 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Years ago, I told my wife about this embassy letter. She advised me to put the cash in the bank as she said, ''How can they prove this as people lie?'' She saw how other embassies dealt with this all and just said, ''This can be pie in the sky stuff written on the letter and how are you going to prove it''. She said this time and time again to me. As the years past, we met many farangs and several of them do not have money. My wife just told me, ''See, this is not good. This will come to an end one day. I am happy you put money in the bank''.

I think this is all part of the problem. I am partly concerned. This could spill over to other areas. It was a real long time back when you only needed 200K. I will deal with it if it does change but I think some kind of change may be coming. 

I like you, do not think they want to kick out all expats but I think the quality of expat is for some reason being looked at with all these renewed raids and with elections coming, something I feel has changed in the overall big picture. The British Embassy deals with around 3000 such letters a year (I read in another thread) it seems and with a lot more British people in Thailand then that, how are the rest showing their income per year? Most of my British friends have the 800/400K in the bank. 

I really do hope I have read all this wrong and in the next few weeks, this just blows over.

Wow, good for you.  

Seems you have a very smart wife.

I suggest you take her advice always..

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

I don’t think that at all I know they don’t want to kick out all expats at all.  I was just trying to make a point because people are understandably stressed out this but there’s also a lot of hysteria and people talking about going back to the UK over a piece of paper.  I used the example of 1970’s through 80’s Iran as a dramatic example because some people are overreacting and talking about packing up their lives here and leaving when certainly this will of course get sorted out somehow because honestly it’s just a technicality.  This technicality could cause people some problems and it’s definitely causing stress and concern which is perfectly understandable it concerns me and I’m not even British but I wouldn’t start packing my bags just yet even if I was British because it’s gotta get worked out somehow immigration is not just gonna kick Brits out over a piece of paper it’s just not gonna happen and that was my whole point in my first post you’re responding to.  The worst case scenario would be having to get a new visa but I seriously doubt that it’ll come to that.  

Also I do receive my monthly pension which is way above the minimum monthly income requirement for my marriage visa but I actually use my bank in the United States. I hope I don’t end up having to open a Thai bank account and deposit money into it because I don’t really want to use a local bank I’m happy with my bank in the states and it would just be a hassle but if I absolutely had to open a Thai bank account I’d do it if I were forced to in order to get my extension.  My bank at home is totally free because it’s a Federal Credit union and I’m retired military so I don’t want to use any other banks if I don’t have to.  

7 hours ago, Issanjohn said:

WOW!  I’ve never seen hysteria like this before everyone thinks the sky is falling and it’s the end of the world.  They’re not going to force expats to leave we pump to much money into their economy.  Immigration has NOT made any official public statements about this which I’ve confirmed beyond a reasonable doubt.  This is a British Embassy problem and their problem only at this point anyway.  No other embassy is taking this action except for the Brits.  And I’m sure it’ll get sorted out for the Brits as well it’s not like they’re all just gonna have to pick up and leave over a single piece of paper.  

People are being over dramatic although I do understand the concern it’s definitely something to be concerned about for sure even I’m worried about it and I’m not even British.  Although I can assure you that anyone who just leaves Thailand after years of living here over a piece of paper is probably gonna feel pretty stupid when everything eventually works out which it will I’m sure.  It seems like every year there’s always some new problem with visas and extensions but it always works out in the end.  Even if it did actually get that bad as in like 1980 Iran bad as some people are acting like it is you could still at least get a new visa in Savanneket Laos.  I mean think about it do you seriously believe that Thailand is just gonna kick out all expats?  I think not lol.  

Its not just the embassy letter. Its the pronouncements of BJ that are hostile to foreigners and the issue of Agencies, and possibly the curtailment of Visas via marriage. 

5 hours ago, Issanjohn said:

I don’t think that at all I know they don’t want to kick out all expats at all.  I was just trying to make a point because people are understandably stressed out this but there’s also a lot of hysteria and people talking about going back to the UK over a piece of paper.  I used the example of 1970’s through 80’s Iran as a dramatic example because some people are overreacting and talking about packing up their lives here and leaving when certainly this will of course get sorted out somehow because honestly it’s just a technicality.  This technicality could cause people some problems and it’s definitely causing stress and concern which is perfectly understandable it concerns me and I’m not even British but I wouldn’t start packing my bags just yet even if I was British because it’s gotta get worked out somehow immigration is not just gonna kick Brits out over a piece of paper it’s just not gonna happen and that was my whole point in my first post you’re responding to.  The worst case scenario would be having to get a new visa but I seriously doubt that it’ll come to that.  

Also I do receive my monthly pension which is way above the minimum monthly income requirement for my marriage visa but I actually use my bank in the United States. I hope I don’t end up having to open a Thai bank account and deposit money into it because I don’t really want to use a local bank I’m happy with my bank in the states and it would just be a hassle but if I absolutely had to open a Thai bank account I’d do it if I were forced to in order to get my extension.  My bank at home is totally free because it’s a Federal Credit union and I’m retired military so I don’t want to use any other banks if I don’t have to.  

Oh. I always assumed the 800k baht had to be in a Thai bank.  So basically as long as you have equal to 800k baht anywhere in.the world the IO is happy?

37 minutes ago, The manic said:

Its not just the embassy letter. Its the pronouncements of BJ that are hostile to foreigners and the issue of Agencies, and possibly the curtailment of Visas via marriage. 

That’s another thing and I have literally been meaning to say this for a while, maybe if us foreigners would stop referring to him as the “big joke” and start referring to him by his name and treat him with respect than maybe we would receive mutual respect from him we are guests in their country.  I think I remember the history of how he got that nickname from the Chinese tourists or something and originally it was innocent I believe something to do with the soup I believe or something like that I don’t recall.  But now us English speakers are calling him by that name and he knows damn well what we mean, basically we are calling him an idiot and people in the expat community need to STOP calling him the “big joke” and treat the man respectfully and then maybe he would be more friendly to foreigners.  Or maybe not but we need to treat the guy with respect especially now that he controls Immigration.  Technically calling him the “big joke” could be considered defamation which is a criminal offense in Thailand especially if it’s against a government official as he is.  People gotta start acting like guests here because that’s what we are.  

Additionally I’ve confirmed from a very reliable source that immigration has not made any announcements regarding visas except for criminal crackdowns.  I have no problem with criminal crackdowns because they ruin it for the rest of us who live here legally.  So what you said about the possible curtailment of visas via marriage is just yet more speculation and rumor because immigration has not said anything about that at all.  Currently it’s just a British Embassy issue and that’s it that’s a fact like it or not.  

I gotta stop reading all this garbage there’s only one person on this site who puts out reliable information that I honestly trust to tell the truth.  I’ve been getting good immigration, visa, and extension information from him for years but I don’t want to mention his name but he’s right about 99.9% of the time and he does not share your opinion.  Whenever I have a concern I ask him and he goes by the facts and the actual local Thai immigration laws and regulations.  He’s been living here for several years longer than me and he’s my only trusted source of information on this website.  

35 minutes ago, The manic said:

Oh. I always assumed the 800k baht had to be in a Thai bank.  So basically as long as you have equal to 800k baht anywhere in.the world the IO is happy?

If you go by your money saved in the bank it’s different yeah that probably does need to be in a Thai bank account but another thing I learned earlier from my extremely reliable source is that if you go by your monthly income as I do because I receive a nice monthly pension every month that’s more than double the minimum monthly income requirement for a marriage and retirement visa then no that does not necessarily have to be in a Thai bank account if you go by your monthly income (minimum of 40,000 baht a month for marriage visas and minimum of 65,000 baht for retirement visas) as long as you can prove that you are receiving the pension or whatever type of income from the actual source of the income then legally you in accordance with Thai visa laws regardless of what bank it’s in.  I still use my bank in the United State but I could open a Thai bank account if they changed the law.  

In fact he copied the Thai immigration law for me translated into English and here’s a copy of it.  I don’t want to show his entire post because I don’t want to throw his name around.  If I can post the rest of it without revealing my source’s screen name I will but he’s extremely reliable and he knows these things VERY WELL!  Whenever I have a serious concern that I can’t get an answer to through official channels I ask him and he’s almost always right.  This guy seriously knows what he’s talking about and he goes by fact and NOT all this misinformation and rumor.  

84104BA6-D7E2-4477-9459-C8D5EEE2CE47.png

33 minutes ago, Issanjohn said:

That’s another thing and I have literally been meaning to say this for a while, maybe if us foreigners would stop referring to him as the “big joke” and start referring to him by his name and treat him with respect than maybe we would receive mutual respect from him we are guests in their country.  I think I remember the history of how he got that nickname from the Chinese tourists or something and originally it was innocent I believe something to do with the soup I believe or something like that I don’t recall.  But now us English speakers are calling him by that name and he knows damn well what we mean, basically we are calling him an idiot and people in the expat community need to STOP calling him the “big joke” and treat the man respectfully and then maybe he would be more friendly to foreigners.  Or maybe not but we need to treat the guy with respect especially now that he controls Immigration.  Technically calling him the “big joke” could be considered defamation which is a criminal offense in Thailand especially if it’s against a government official as he is.  People gotta start acting like guests here because that’s what we are.  

Additionally I’ve confirmed from a very reliable source that immigration has not made any announcements regarding visas except for criminal crackdowns.  I have no problem with criminal crackdowns because they ruin it for the rest of us who live here legally.  So what you said about the possible curtailment of visas via marriage is just yet more speculation and rumor because immigration has not said anything about that at all.  Currently it’s just a British Embassy issue and that’s it that’s a fact like it or not.  

I gotta stop reading all this garbage there’s only one person on this site who puts out reliable information that I honestly trust to tell the truth.  I’ve been getting good immigration, visa, and extension information from him for years but I don’t want to mention his name but he’s right about 99.9% of the time and he does not share your opinion.  Whenever I have a concern I ask him and he goes by the facts and the actual local Thai immigration laws and regulations.  He’s been living here for several years longer than me and he’s my only trusted source of information on this website.  

Apparently his nickname was started off in the Thai media, so "us foreigners" are not to blame!

This is the first I've heard about curtailment of Visas via marriage, and coming from the source it did I am not surprised!

In fact I copied his direct message for you I don’t want to say his screen name and call him out publicly but he always knows what he’s talking about when it comes to immigration, visa, and extension rules in Thailand.  He’s the only person on here that I trust for information.  He’s the kind of guy that if he says it you can take it to the bank.  He doesn’t BS anyone ever.  

Message from reliable source:  

“There is no rule for regulation at this time that states the 40k baht has to be deposited into a Thai bank account at this time.

This is what police order 138/2557 states for the documents required in clause 2.18.

5. Only for Criteria (5) paragraph 1 and (6), the applicant must attach a funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook, or attach documents proving that the parents or alien husband earns an average monthly income of no less than Baht 40,000 throughout the year, such as any particular individual income tax return together with payment receipt, evidence of receiving retirement pension, evidence of receiving interest from funds deposit, or evidence of having other funds issued by the relevant agency.

The income tax return is for those working here.

I have my social security payments directdeposited into my Bangkok Bank account here via their New York branch. The bank book for that account has about a year and half of well more than 40k baht going into it every month. I could also show the one it replaced after it got full that has many more.

I have no concerns about my money being in a Thai bank.

My wife has money in the bank in her name that we have stashed away . It is in an investment type account so it draws good interest. No worry about reporting it to the IRS since she does not have to do it.” 

So according to the Thai law he quoted it’s basically either or depending on your personal situation.  Some things have to be in a Thai bank account and other types of income don’t as long as you can prove that you receive it.  The law depends on your type of income and personal situation as you can read for yourself.  Hopefully this squashes one of the rumors at least since I’ve posted a verifiable fact from a very reliable source.  This guy is an expert on this stuff and I’m thankful that I know him to ask important questions.  

Just now, sambum said:

Apparently his nickname was started off in the Thai media.

Yeah well the expat community needs to stop repeating it and treat him with respect because we’re pissing him off and he’s not the man we want to mess with.  He’s not the guy we want to piss off because he has the power to mess with us a lot more.  

28 minutes ago, Issanjohn said:

Yeah well the expat community needs to stop repeating it and treat him with respect because we’re pissing him off and he’s not the man we want to mess with.  He’s not the guy we want to piss off because he has the power to mess with us a lot more.  

On that we agree! And the same applies to all Immigration Officers - they have the power!

For retirement and marriage extensions of stay, the Thai Immigration rules are clear and not complicated:

--The 800K for retirement and 400K for marriage amounts of bank deposits method DO have to be on deposit in a Thai bank, not any foreign bank.

--The 65K baht per month for retirement or 40K baht per month for marriage of monthly income do NOT have to be deposited into a Thai bank account.

At least, those are the rules as they have been for years and up to the present time. The future, who knows.

21 minutes ago, sambum said:

Apparently his nickname was started off in the Thai media, so "us foreigners" are not to blame!

This is the first I've heard about curtailment of Visas via marriage, and coming from the source it did I am not surprised!

We still need to stop repeating that nickname let the Thai media say whatever because when we English speakers say it he knows what we mean by that he’s not dumb he’s very smart.  I knew that us foreigners didn’t start it but us foreigners sure are doing a good job keeping it going and making it stick and we need to stop that and start referring to him by his real name.  

Also what source are you referring to regarding the so called curtailment of visas via marriage?  Are you referring to the guy who originally mentioned it in an earlier post I assume?  I’m guessing you are because that individual was saying a lot of unfounded rumors.  I understand because I get really sick of all the unfounded rumors and false information being spread by guys like him.  That’s why I’m going to stop reading the posts in the chat room and even some of the news articles posted on this website are often half true.  

I have a different guy I talk to in private who’s a very reliable source and the only person I trust on this website for information.  The guy I often speak with in private is right 99.9% of the time and he goes by facts and the actual immigration rules and regulations, he’s great he’s an expert on Thai immigration policy and visa and extension policy in Thailand but I don’t want to throw his screen name around publicly.  

The guy who I think you were talking about there’s a lot of people like him on here unfortunately.  

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

On that we agree! And the same applies to all Immigration Officers - they have the power!

Yeah and I’ve never had a problem with immigration in years of living here if you treat them with respect they usually treat us with mutual respect.  Especially when they see my wife of 20 years.  

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For retirement and marriage extensions of stay, the Thai Immigration rules are clear and not complicated:

--The 800K for retirement and 400K for marriage amounts of bank deposits method DO have to be on deposit in a Thai bank, not any foreign bank.

--The 65K baht per month for retirement or 40K baht per month for marriage of monthly income do NOT have to be deposited into a Thai bank account.

At least, those are the rules as they have been for years and up to the present time. The future, who knows.

Yes exactly!!!

Archived