"Easy Ride" for pensioners in Thailand now over, says Pattaya Radio

webfact

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

There are "not plenty of options" if you are married to a Thai, and have a Thai family

Well there is always the option of taking the family home.

I moved back, my adult son, who was already a US citizen had already moved to the US, so my wife wanted to be close to him. My wife had lived in the US when she was at college, so we’re probably atypical.

But check out Mobi’s blog, he seemed to successfully move his wife and stepdaughter back to the UK, and seems to be thriving, without his stepdaughter speaking English, or as far as I can tell his wife ever being out of Thailand before

44 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Because, there's a crackdown going on against such "agents".

Far as I know the crackdown seems to be on those falsifying documents. Though I am sure that they will crackdown on the other agents one day - or threaten to.

Some agents I know have been  saying everything is OK this year, but they are unsure on next year.

50-60% of those I know use the agents, most have no-where else to go. Their pension whilst survivable in Thailand - even with Thai family - is nowhere near enough to survive in the Uk or get any housing. 

This threatening of agent use  will just mean they overstay in big numbers - since in reality they have nowhere else to go - and a few thousand baht room here is better than the streets of the UK. It will not matter to them if they overstay 20 days or 20 years, since the end result of a box on the streets in the UK is a likely scenario.

Add to this the Thai family will be pretty much potless, and no miney for education. It's all very well getting rid of the low income people, but when it means 3 or 4 thai people falling into severe poverty is it worth it ? 

In 2009 I got my first Thai VISA from the UK as an over 50 person for 1 year (90 day ME) to visit Thaland for 120GBP.

All they wanted was my passport, application form, a photo and the cash.

The 'easy ride' stopped shortly after that, and if I hadn't already impregnated and married, I probably wouldn't have stayed any longer. Vietnam, the Philippines and (Cambodia) actually seem to want us living there, Thailand only wants Asians now.

If it wasn't for my son, I wouldn't have come back.

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Because, there's a crackdown going on against such "agents".

Right now? I don't think so. That would certainly come as news to the people I know using such services. I will however, ask them any more updates when I am back in town next month.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

In 2009 I got my first Thai VISA from the UK as an over 50 person for 1 year (90 day ME) to visit Thaland for 120GBP.

All they wanted was my passport, application form, a photo and the cash.

The 'easy ride' stopped shortly after that, and if I hadn't already impregnated and married, I probably wouldn't have stayed any longer. Vietnam, the Philippines and (Cambodia) actually seem to want us living there, Thailand only wants Asians now.

If it wasn't for my son, I wouldn't have come back.

I think most people would. And do! its all mostly over-reaction from some quarters. Really!

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I moved back, my adult son, who was already a US citizen had already moved to the US, so my wife wanted to be close to him. My wife had lived in the US when she was at college, so we’re probably atypical.

But check out Mobi’s blog, he seemed to successfully move his wife and stepdaughter back to the UK, and seems to be thriving, without his stepdaughter speaking English, or as far as I can tell his wife ever being out of Thailand before

That option is there from the beginning for those who have the resources.

4 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

This is was an interesting statement. 

There are plenty of other options beyond Thailand and beyond returning to a Home country. 

In SEA..Philippines.. Eastern Europe.. Bulgaria. Spain. Mexico. Also a few countries in Central and SOUTH America.

I know one guy in Pattaya who is always ready to tell us how wonderful and cheap the Ukraine is to live. So when are you moving? I prod him each time. Empty talk.

5 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

This is was an interesting statement. 

There are plenty of other options beyond Thailand and beyond returning to a Home country. 

In SEA..Philippines.. Eastern Europe.. Bulgaria. Spain. Mexico. Also a few countries in Central and SOUTH America. 

More than a few countries in Latin America, etc. that are viable to move to visa-wise and cost-wise for many.

Including Dominican Republic, Mexico, Costa Rica, Belize (English speaking), Guatemala, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, possibly Argentina, and Chile. Not even a complete list but I intentionally left out Nicaragua due to violent unrest. Not sure about Cuba as I'm American and haven't even checked their rules. 

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Not an option if you do not meet the income limits required to settle your wife and family in the UK as many people I know here don't

49 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Not an option if you do not meet the income limits required to settle your wife and family in the UK as many people I know here don't

When you say income limits do you mean for visas presumably for non British citizens.

If everyone has British citizenship you would just go back without worrying about the limits but obviously we need enough to

money to get by.

My my this topic is certainly getting some postings!!!

On 10/13/2018 at 10:34 AM, sambum said:

Apparently his nickname was started off in the Thai media, so "us foreigners" are not to blame!

This is the first I've heard about curtailment of Visas via marriage, and coming from the source it did I am not surprised!

Isaanjohn - "We still need to stop repeating that nickname let the Thai media say whatever because when we English speakers say it he knows what we mean by that he’s not dumb he’s very smart.  I knew that us foreigners didn’t start it but us foreigners sure are doing a good job keeping it going and making it stick and we need to stop that and start referring to him by his real name."

This is an excellent point.

You aren't going to get any love from the guy or even like by continually referring to him by the nickname.

(I have no idea how the name originated but I assume he doesn't appreciate the name).

45 minutes ago, stament said:

When you say income limits do you mean for visas presumably for non British citizens.

If everyone has British citizenship you would just go back without worrying about the limits but obviously we need enough to

money to get by.

My my this topic is certainly getting some postings!!!

Yes - it shows how many people are affected and worried by the situation!

4 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Why is that?

Re Guatemala "fewer civilians were reported killed in the war zone of Iraq than were shot, stabbed, or beaten to death in Guatemala, and 97% of homicides "remain unsolved."

New Yorker magazine

I think the idea is go to Guatemala before you immigrate to Iraq and it makes you feel safe in Baghdad. 

36 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Re Guatemala "fewer civilians were reported killed in the war zone of Iraq than were shot, stabbed, or beaten to death in Guatemala, and 97% of homicides "remain unsolved."

New Yorker magazine

I think the idea is go to Guatemala before you immigrate to Iraq and it makes you feel safe in Baghdad. 

Westerners do seem to like that lake area a lot. It's not on my list but statistics like that can be misleading. Often depends on the region that you live at. Even talking about Chicago, it would depend on the PART of Chicago. 

36 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

New Yorker magazine

Yemen, Liberia and a cave in Afghanistan are options also. 

No Starbuck, but I heard the local coffee is good.

38 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

New Yorker magazine

Suggest you get back on topic guys!

On 10/9/2018 at 12:50 PM, Jingthing said:

Thai immigration has ALWAYS required embassy income letters for income based applications. Thai immigration has made no announcement that they will change that as yet. Let's deal with FACTS, rather than assumptions and wishes, shall we?

Also it seems from what I have learned is that only CM Immigration is asking for proof of income. Yet even there it seems it depends upon who you see there and if it s not your first time renewing anything requiring income materials. So we will have to see what happens.

I feel sorry for those from the US however, as Vets/Pensioners must go through embassy in Manila to get those records as here in Thai they are not available through the Embassy/Consulate.

Furthermore... does anyone really think that that Thai immigration will know what any of the statements (checking, investment portfolio, savings, etc) actually say? I doubt that would be able to read the language they are in and therefore be able to understand any of it. That in and of itself offers a way around any issues regarding 'proof of income' (something that no foreign embassy/consulate affidavit has ever been on record as being able to backup as clearly stated in the US affidavit) .... bury immigration in paperwork.  

On 10/18/2018 at 10:45 AM, White Tiger said:

212 this morning.

Me thinks this is going no where.

To reach 10000 in 7 weeks...its not going to happen.

To reach the 100000 your wasting your time.

Funny to think that there is so many ex pats living in Thailand, that they cant be bothered to sign this.

Looks like your going to have to transfer the money into a thai bank, or if you have no money to do that...go back home.

49 minutes ago, Teee said:

212 this morning.

Me thinks this is going no where.

To reach 10000 in 7 weeks...its not going to happen.

To reach the 100000 your wasting your time.

Funny to think that there is so many ex pats living in Thailand, that they cant be bothered to sign this.

Looks like your going to have to transfer the money into a thai bank, or if you have no money to do that...go back home.

The only ones who are going to sign are those affected by the non issue of the letter, and who probably can't comply with the financial conditions genuinely. Why would anyone else sign?

On 10/23/2018 at 8:16 AM, Teee said:

On 10/23/2018 at 9:09 AM, giddyup said:

The only ones who are going to sign are those affected by the non issue of the letter, and who probably can't comply with the financial conditions genuinely. Why would anyone else sign?

The ones most radically affected will be those who cannot/will not move to the lump sum formula AND, in addition, decline to use an agent. A relatively small number I would think?

On 10/9/2018 at 12:44 PM, watcharacters said:

So you're essentially saying this entire thing was one big wind up?

This guy like to play to the gallery, it's how he looks after his own future.

While the 'crackdown' might be genuine, I suspect it will be a 9-days wonder. Big Joke will harvest the adrmiration and kudos then it'l. be back to normal business. I doubt the embassies will go back to the painful process of absolving the Thai governments responsibility to manege it's residents, but that apart...

Archived