Avoiding Kasikorn debit card being cancelled abroad

So I've heard that the bank sometimes will block or cancel your debit card when you're outside of the country of issue due to suspicious activities. Is this something Kasikorn does, and if so how can I prevent it from happening when I'm already outside of the country?

A friend on Sunday tried to use his Kalashnikov card to pay for setting up website .(USD in USA)

it was refused went into bank Monday was told cant  use kasikorn ( not Kalashnikov) for oversea transaction unless you have work permit,

Now dont shoot messenger but this guys been here 25 odd years and speaks Thai so i have no real reason to disbelieve him

And it sound s messed up enough for Thailand 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, poohy said:

A friend on Sunday tried to use his Kalashnikov card to pay for setting up website .(USD in USA)

it was refused went into bank Monday was told cant  use kasikorn ( not Kalashnikov) for oversea transaction unless you have work permit,

Now dont shoot messenger but this guys been here 25 odd years and speaks Thai so i have no real reason to disbelieve him

And it sound s messed up enough for Thailand 

I've used my Kasikorn numerous times abroad including U.S. But the question is about them cancelling my card when withdrawing mainly from ATMs. Like for an extended period of time. 

17 hours ago, tumama said:

I don't have access to my Kasikorn Internet banking thing. I was contemplating calling them but not sure if that would have the opposite effect. 

Fairly easy, first you download the Kasikorn app, to your mobile, Second, you need to activate it,,, Can only be done via an ATM. You need your Passport # and phone number you used when you opened your bank account, You will get an SMS...Done.

If confusing, ask a Kasikorn staff to do it for you (has to be done via an ATM, only), takes all of 1-2 minutes.

Cheers !

• Like 1

There should be a phone number on the back of your card. Call that number and tell them what countries you are traveling to, and ask them to be sure your card is not blocked in those countries. I have a K-Bank credit card and call them when I plan to use the card outside of Thailand.

16 minutes ago, laochef said:

Fairly easy, first you download the Kasikorn app, to your mobile, Second, you need to activate it,,, Can only be done via an ATM. You need your Passport # and phone number you used when you opened your bank account, You will get an SMS...Done.

If confusing, ask a Kasikorn staff to do it for you (has to be done via an ATM, only), takes all of 1-2 minutes.

Cheers !

Thanks. But too late now. Already abroad. 

Just now, gjoo888 said:

There should be a phone number on the back of your card. Call that number and tell them what countries you are traveling to, and ask them to be sure your card is not blocked in those countries. I have a K-Bank credit card and call them when I plan to use the card outside of Thailand.

So you just called them and told them your bank account number and where you were going and that was it?

It's not blocked here, used it several times already. Just afraid they will eventually block it. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, poohy said:

Sounds like he was given wrong information by the bank staff. I've been using my Kasikorn cards overseas for years - without having a work permit.

6 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Sounds like he was given wrong information by the bank staff. I've been using my Kasikorn cards overseas for years - without having a work permit.

Did they ever cancel it for suspected fraud when you used it? And did you use it overseas during prolonged periods?

2 hours ago, tumama said:

So you just called them and told them your bank account number and where you were going and that was it?

It's not blocked here, used it several times already. Just afraid they will eventually block it. 

Basically yes. Usually they'll want to know how long you'll be out of the country and to what countries you'll be traveling to. I can't remember exactly what, but I believe they will ask you a security question to verify your identity other than asking the debit card number. Some banks don't require that you tell them when traveling abroad, as they use other means to determine whether the card is being used fraudulently.

Recently a friend was visiting here in Thailand and he found that his credit card was blocked for use here. A simple call to his bank in the states unblocked his card.

3 hours ago, tumama said:

I never inform Kasikorn bank when I travel oversea. Used KBank debit card in oversea ATMs many times and never been blocked. It is like fraud protections does not apply to KBank Debit cards.

2 hours ago, tumama said:

Did they ever cancel it for suspected fraud when you used it? And did you use it overseas during prolonged periods?

They've never cancelled my card, but my overseas travels are short, one month max before using the card in Thailand again. I've never informed them of my travels, but if you stay abroad for a long time or if your transactions amount to a substantial sum, I guess that would be a good idea.

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

So has he that why hes confused admittedly he opened account some 20 years ago when he was working and had wp hes retired now

anyway outcome is seems he can use in it Thailand and atm overseas but but not for overseas purchases eg internet purchases

43 minutes ago, poohy said:

So has he that why hes confused admittedly he opened account some 20 years ago when he was working and had wp hes retired now

anyway outcome is seems he can use in it Thailand and atm overseas but but not for overseas purchases eg internet purchases

My KBank debit card need to apply for “Internet Shopping by K-Debit Card” at Kasikorn ATM before making oversea purchases online. 

Edited by sanmyintmaung

9 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Been abroad now for a year and a half, and been using my KTB debit card without any problems. 

The only problem is the one time password :you need an active Thai Sim card for any transaction to go through :the bank does not accept foreign numbers. 

You've been withdrawing cash from the ATM multiple times (i.e +20) without calling them to let them know what country you're in?

Yes, I also have a problem with the OTP (one time password). The SMS from KBank doesn't arrive. But I'm not too worried about that one.

54 minutes ago, tumama said:

You've been withdrawing cash from the ATM multiple times (i.e +20) without calling them to let them know what country you're in?

Yes, I also have a problem with the OTP (one time password). The SMS from KBank doesn't arrive. But I'm not too worried about that one.

Yes exactly over the years I have made 4 withdrawals(Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Indonesia 1 withdrawal each) plus multiple flight and hotel bookings for which I briefly activate my Thai Sim card to receive the OTP. 

I bring at least two cards with me when I am traveling. My Schwab ATM card will not work outside of Thailand if I do not inform Schwab that I'll be traveling. Capital One has eliminated the travel notice requirement, and the option on their website.

Better check with your Thai bank before traveling.