Another dead tourist found floating at Koh Tao: Police fly body out for autopsy in Bangkok

webfact

Another dead tourist found floating at Koh Tao: Police fly body out for autopsy in Bangkok

filephoto-SB.jpg

File photo

Police in Thailand's south have taken the unusual step of taking the body of a 33 year old tourist found floating off Sairee Beach in Koh Tao to Bangkok for autopsy. 

The body of Alexsander Bakspun from Moldova was loaded onto a national police helicopter and taken to Region 8 police HQ in Phun Phin, Surat Thani. It was then ferried to the Police Hospital in Bangkok by a foundation rescue ambulance.

The removal of the body from Koh Tao on the orders of Surat Thani provincial police chief Maj-Gen Apichart Bunsrirot - who has demanded a full investigation - is bound to add fuel to the fires after a series of unexplained deaths and incidents on the notorious island. 

At 1.30 am on Tuesday morning a security guard working for a dive company on Sairee Beach had seen clothes, a phone, a room key, shoes and and some ID left on the beach.

The items were still there at 3am and he alerted the authorities. 

The victim was found later floating by a pontoon twenty meters offshore from O'Chai Bungalows. He was presumed drowned and had been dead for around 12 hours. 

It was discovered that Alexsander Bakspun had been staying at a Muay Thai (Thai Boxing) gym 1.5 kilometers away. In his room there police found a large quantity of foreign pharmaceutical drugs. 

The victim has been reported as suffering from "wheezing".

He entered Thailand at Suvarnabhumi on September 26th and started staying at the gym on October 6th. 

Maj-Gen Apichart ordered the body flown to a hospital in Koh Pangan then decided that further details were needed from an autopsy in Bangkok. 

The Maj-Gen has further ordered a full round of evidence gathering including the studying of CCTV on Koh Tao.

He assured the press that the police were taking the matter seriously and that the Moldovan embassy had been informed. 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-11

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...The removal of the body from Koh Tao on the orders of Surat Thani provincial police chief Maj-Gen Apichart Bunsrirot - who has demanded a full investigation - is bound to add fuel to the fires after a series of unexplained deaths and incidents on the notorious island. .."

Another dead person! Bloody hell!

Of course there are going to be questions asked; people drop like flies on the bloody island. I can only say that I am pleased that they are taking the body away for further, hopefully proper, examination. It ought to be Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) from here on out; who the hell will trust Koh Tao cops?

Remember; 

"...Hannah Witheridge and David Miller, Ben Harrington (UK), Nick Pearson (UK), Luke Miller (UK) Christina Annesley (UK), Elise Dallemagne  (Bel), Dimitri Povse (Fra) Silje Mathisen (Nor), Hans peter Suter (Sui) and  Bernd Grotsch (Ger) have all lost their lives in circumstances their friends and family believe are highly suspicious and none of the families, other than the mother of David Miller are at all happy with the police investigations, the family of Valentina Novozhenova (Rus) who went missing never to be seen again are also extremely unhappy.

Thailand REALLY, REALLY needs to have a proper investigation of that bloody place, and until it is complete...

BOYCOTT!!!

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

At 1.30 am on Tuesday morning a security guard working for a dive company on Sairee Beach had seen clothes, a phone, a room key, shoes and and some ID left on the beach.

this is the part I find unbelievable.

RIP.

At what stage do the foreign embassies come together and set aside the implications with regards to upsetting their hosts and trade and think about their citizens and issue a warning regarding travel to the island. . . In the workings of a Thai Police investigation a Safe House is one in which they force confessions the transferring of this unfortunate man's body to the police hospital in Bangkok is ... well we all know why.

45 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Its a place I always wanted to go but not now.  My Thai wife told me never go there and when I asked why she say "because of who own it". Whoever does own it, or who lives there now, surely must be as worried as anybody I would think.

ask your wife who owns it and let us know.  Fits in with what I have said before.

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

this is the part I find unbelievable.

RIP.

Did you forget to bold "a security guard" ?

3 hours ago, smedly said:

The Autopsy should be carried out at the Institute of Forensic Science not the Police Labs, in fact all Forensic investigations should be carried out there

yes for sure - given their performance in the Hanna Witheridge and David Miller case

1 minute ago, Pedrogaz said:

I think you will find they have lost the CCTV tapes. They caused too many problems with Hannah and so someone removed them.

Yes, my comment was tongue-in-cheek.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Cause of death "Wheezing", RIP

regards Worgeordie

Yes probably accidental drowning and not suicide or foul-play.  I used to be a good swimmer but a few years ago I almost drowned when swimming from a boat to the shore which despite my chronic bronchitis looked doable. But there were some unexpected strong currents... RIP

My first thought: finally they decided to adopt a serious approach to this endless list of dead bodies found on KT by having the job done "better" in BKK

2nd thought: it looks like they waited until a possibly genuine suicide took place in order to organize a large, publicized show in order to try to whitewash past botched investigations

(if the report of clothes, shoes, ID and phone being found together at the beach - with no obvious signs of foul play - is correct, we may have the first credible suicide case on this island)

Moldovia, I always thought that was a made up place that they used in the Princess Diaries and they have an embassy too, remarkable, I bet they verify peoples income, it's about time they remodelled Koh Tao into the shape of a skull and surrounded it with an impenetrable mist. If big joke consults his tidal maps, soothsayers and bar owners club of Koh Tao I am sure he will be able to solve this riddle with the speed of a thousand gazelles. In the meantime whilst we await the crime fighting skills of the caped crusader to right all the wrongs in the world I will just carry on blissfully ignoring where it is located and hope that I never get ship wrecked there.

Koh Tao Tourist’s Drowning Ruled As Accident

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

a10-696x498.jpg

Police walk along a beach on Koh Tao, Sept. 1, 2018.

KOH TAO — Police on Thursday said there was no foul play in the death of a foreign tourist whose body was found in the sea off Koh Tao earlier this week.

The 33-year-old Moldavian national was found dead Tuesday close to Sairee Beach, provincial police commander Apichart Boonsriroj said by phone.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2018/10/11/koh-tao-tourists-drowning-ruled-as-accident/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-10-11

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

Its a place I always wanted to go but not now.  My Thai wife told me never go there and when I asked why she say "because of who own it". Whoever does own it, or who lives there now, surely must be as worried as anybody I would think.

I believe the island is crown land and the big shots on the island lease the land.  At one time it was penal colony.

2 minutes ago, webfact said:

Koh Tao Tourist’s Drowning Ruled As Accident

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

KOH TAO — Police on Thursday said there was no foul play in the death of a foreign tourist whose body was found in the sea off Koh Tao earlier this week.

Just goes to reinforce what a bunch of bush league amateurs are in charge of things there.

When I first read this headline, I thought, WOW, that's a quick conclusion to have already gotten the autopsy results from Police Hospital in BKK.

And then, I read down into the article and discover the police guy is making this pronouncement PRIOR to have gotten any results from the actual autopsy in BKK.

Maybe the BKK autopsy will come to the same conclusion, this being Thailand, it almost certainly will.  But the police ought to be keeping their traps and opinions shut until the autopsy results are in.

Archived