Haruki Murakami: ‘You have to go through the darkness before you get to the light’

snoop1130

Haruki Murakami: ‘You have to go through the darkness before you get to the light’

By Oliver Burkeman

5760.jpg

Haruki Murakami rises at 4am to write for five or six hours before a six-mile run and a swim. Photograph: Murdo Macleod for the Guardian

The day before we meet in Manhattan, a woman stopped Haruki Murakami in Central Park, where he had come for his late-morning run.

“Excuse me,” she said, “but aren’t you a very famous Japanese novelist?” A faintly odd way of putting the question, but Murakami responded in his usual equable manner.

“I said ‘No, really I’m just a writer. But still, it’s nice to meet you!’ And then we shook hands. When people stop me like that, I feel very strange, because I’m just an ordinary guy. I don’t really understand why people want to meet me.”

It would be a mistake to interpret this as false modesty, but equally wrong to see it as genuine discomfort with fame: so far as it’s possible to tell, the 69-year-old Murakami neither relishes nor dislikes his global celebrity.

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/oct/11/haruki-murakami-interview-killing-commendatore

Archived