Building An House In The Boonies

mrbojangles

I don't know how I managed to miss this thread, BoJ.

I have placed the construction pictures of my house in a gallery here:

http://gallery.thaivista.net/thumbnails.php?album=15

Starting from a green field site to the finished structure. Build cost in the order of Bht 800,000 in 2000.

Excellent piccies Yorky. About the size i am wanting to build and still looks great after 6 years. Did you project manage yourself or just get a good builder to take charge start to finish? Also, did you buy the plans from the gov't or design yourself? :o

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only condition i will have is that, I will have my own air conditioned bedroom with en-suite, double glazing and farang bed, which will be strictly off limits to all.
And it will be, while your there, :o:D

Security measures have been well thought out :D:D

Well we moved into our house in February 2005 it took the builders 3 months to build. The plans were obtained from a book at the local Government Office.

That looks really nice mac. Bigger than the one i want to build in the boonies but about the same as i want to build near the beach.

I have the plans and full house history if your interested and costings

Excellent piccies Yorky. About the size i am wanting to build and still looks great after 6 years. Did you project manage yourself or just get a good builder to take charge start to finish? Also, did you buy the plans from the gov't or design yourself? :o

I bought the plans from a local architect (Bht 4,500) and then made a few changes, mainly increasing room sizes. I "project managed" the construction myself and it was hard w*rk. I paid a foreman and craftsmen/labour by the day and bought all the materials myself so I had no worries about "hidden extras".

Here's my contribution:

We made our own houseplans/drawings.

Started Oct. 2004, and used local workers.

1 guy responsible for all concrete work/tiles.

Bought 2 steel presses, and made our own interlocking blocks.

1 guy responsible for all wood work, incl. kitchen, bookshelfs, and some furniture

Wife & I supervise every day!

Moved in Mai 2005.

Swimmingpool/fitness room/garage – etc, in 06/07

Landscaped garden/farm area outside wall/fence, where we also have guesthouse, bungalows, and restaurant/bar.

post-24958-1174624074_thumb.jpg post-24958-1174624166_thumb.jpg

post-24958-1174624244_thumb.jpg post-24958-1174624339_thumb.jpg

post-24958-1174624456_thumb.jpg post-24958-1174624535_thumb.jpg

Edited by bergen

Hi Bergen

Your house looks great mate. You've done a lovely job of the build quality and gardens. We were thinking of putting a swimming pool in at our home in Ubon also. If you don't mind me asking how much did the pool cost approx: and did it meet your expectations with the chosen builder 'cause i've heard you can run into problems if not done correctly. Probably a couple of years before we put one in but we wanted something a similar size to yours for our children. Thanks.

Regards,

Jay

Very nice Bergen, makes me green with envy.

Build a large 3-bed, 2 bath house in Isaan to your own design for less than 600,000 baht with out any compromise on quality?

And build a nice 10 x 5 in ground pool to go with it for only 250,000?

Retiring on a teacher's meagre savings, I had to work to a very strict budget.

See the detailed progress pics and comments and tips of my house near Udon, on next year's budget we will be building four guest bungalows on the land alongside the pool and because the nearest 7-Eleven is 40 km away, my wife wants her own minimart. Photo Album

and for Jay UK,

you may be interested in my comprehensive tips on how to build your pool HERE.

post-44006-1174819507_thumb.jpg

post-44006-1174821335_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chaichara

Im curious about the guy that seems to know every contractor in Thailand. So in the UK they do not have shifty contractors that use sub standerd materials. My Thai father in-law who is retierd contractor has shown me houses he has built, some over 40 years old. Quess what they are all standing and in perfect shape except for cracked cement drivewayhere and there. Some Thias do know how to do things right. Some of you must be soo suprised to see that Thailand that has been around for a long time is still standing. No wonder some Thais are getting fed up with Farangs after they read this C@$P form the "western experts". Its very simple just do your home work. The saying goes "you get what you pay for"

thanks for all the input. I will wait until i'm back around ubon before decing to use. It seems quite complex and a face-to-face project building a pool where you can go and see previous work carrid out and references to give piece of mind when chosing the right local contractor.

I agree with post #67 from INChris.

There are good and bad in the building trades in all countries.

My wife, Thong, is now very cautious about the experience of EVERY member of the group that she hires to do the 'labour only' on each of her house extension projects.

We are fortunate that, with a bit of insistence, the team leader can, in the dry season, find older rice farmers who have, earlier in their lives, had many years as craftsmen on the building of top hotels in the Gulf, and so on.

A word of warning to farangs, though. Do not get yourself seen as a "knows-it-all interferer".

There is at least one farang in Udon, to my knowledge, who is finding little problems with house, and there are a lot more going to reveal themselves.

He 'put up the backs' of those who were building his house, and they quietly and surreptiously, retaliated. (My brother-in-law occasionally drinks with one of them, and so got the story.)

But, again, that is the same all over the world. There's tricks in every trade. The good craftsmen know them, but their consciences prevail upon them to forbear to use them---unless they feel insulted!

Jay

Used a professionell to build my pool.

Size 7x4 m + steps, 1.50m deep. Approx 1/2 mill. - everything incl.

I advise you not to build before living here permanent, - needs maintainence every day!

Some really nice houses there guys. Did you find that you had to be there, to oversee things or did some of you just leave it upto your Terak and a competent builder?

I am thinking of doing one of those styles from the government web site, with a few different variations on the theme. But something similar to this one should suffice for my needs.

post-19542-1172239154_thumb.jpg

My friend has built this very house near Khon Kaen but has extended it back a meter to make the bedrooms a bit bigger. Nice house . 3 bedroom ,2 bathroom.

I was so impressed that I am having one built. We have built it one meter higher off the ground. Should be finished end of March. I think very good value at a cost of just under 1.2 Million Baht.

See picture if it uploaded ok.

I am looking at these plans also right now, I have just sent plans out for quotes, waiting for all to come back.

Can you let know know what all was included in your price?

As my quotes are come'n in at around 5,600 sqm to 9,000 sqm.

Just the basic house.

So extras would be,

Gutters, security grills for the windows, insect nets on windows,. fitted kitchen (if wanted) , drilling for water. water tank and pump.

For a 3 bed , 2 bathroom I think the price is pretty good.

I was woundering if it would be possible to take a look at your home?

If so you can contact me at 0859049969, My name is Peter.

I am very interested in building this same house and would like to see it in true size. To see it we would also like to stretch it some.

Thanks Bergen. Good advice there. Looking after a pool is not wise unless there all the time. Another friend of mine living in Thailand said the same thing. Have you worked out roughly what the up keep costs are each month to run a pool with electricity, changing filters and chemicals. Is it cheap to maintain or expensive each month?

Thanks.

Jay

post-26503-1175562548_thumb.jpgpost-26503-1175562766_thumb.jpg[att

chment=28602:Thailand_07_106.jpg]post-26503-1175562908_thumb.jpg[attachme

t=28604:Thailand_07_292.jpg]

i just got back from my 3 weeks and wedding in Nong Bua Rawe. Mr Bojangles, my new house is on highway 2354, about 20 klms south west of chaiyapum (10 clicks from Nong bua rawe) it cost me about 1.2million baht to complete, and its about 3200 sq ft on 2 floors. heres some pics. Hope we can hook up some time...cheers

post-26503-1175562850_thumb.jpg

post-26503-1175563081_thumb.jpg

Edited by lowerlakeside

post-26503-1175562548_thumb.jpgpost-26503-1175562766_thumb.jpg[att

chment=28602:Thailand_07_106.jpg]post-26503-1175562908_thumb.jpg[attachme

t=28604:Thailand_07_292.jpg]

i just got back from my 3 weeks and wedding in Nong Bua Rawe. Mr Bojangles, my new house is on highway 2354, about 20 klms south west of chaiyapum (10 clicks from Nong bua rawe) it cost me about 1.2million baht to complete, and its about 3200 sq ft on 2 floors. heres some pics. Hope we can hook up some time...cheers

Nice. How long did it take to build?

Mr Bojangles, my new house is on highway 2354, about 20 klms south west of chaiyapum (10 clicks from Nong bua rawe) it cost me about 1.2million baht to complete, and its about 3200 sq ft on 2 floors. heres some pics. Hope we can hook up some time...cheers

That looks great lowerlakeside.

It would be great to hook up. There are starting to get quite a few of us here now :o Here's a thread on it http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...113302&st=0

Do you or your mrs know of Ban Kai or Kye not sure of the spelling

Edited by mrbojangles

• 1 month later...
Some really nice houses there guys. Did you find that you had to be there, to oversee things or did some of you just leave it upto your Terak and a competent builder?

I am thinking of doing one of those styles from the government web site, with a few different variations on the theme. But something similar to this one should suffice for my needs.

post-19542-1172239154_thumb.jpg

Thanks mrbojangles, I think the house looks really nice. Can you give me the government link you referred to? I am currently hoping to find varous samples etc.

:o Keoki

nice house talk to alan the builder(ENGLISH) in Surin if you want a quality FOUNDATION done correctly farang connection has his nbr and business cards

Hi guys,

On one plot of land we have near Chaiya Phuum, last year we cleared away some Mango trees etc. to make way for a drive leading up to where the house will be. We then had about 15 trucks of that red coloured soil/dirt laid down and that made a drive way and an area for where the bungalow will eventually go.

This photo is looking back towards the road

post-19542-1171280596_thumb.jpg

And this photo is looking from the driveway, to the site where the bungalow will be built

post-19542-1171280778_thumb.jpg

I'm just after your'e experiences of building in the boonies and how it differes to building in the city etc.

My mrs is adamant that we just build the house on top of the dirt/soil we had laid last year. But i'm a "foundation" type of guy. I like to have an hole dug and concrete poured etc. Am i being over the top for the way things are done in the villiages, or should i stand my ground and insist on proper footings.

Many thanks if you can share your experiences and frustrations.

For info, i am looking at building a single storey, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a european and a thai kitchen

Thanks mrbojangles, I think the house looks really nice. Can you give me the government link you referred to? I am currently hoping to find varous samples etc.

:o Keoki

Hi selftaopath,

here is the link to the gov't designs. It's in Thai but not too hard to navigate through. Just click on one of the 33 different options.

http://www.dpt.go.th/04work/house_model/doc_house.html

Also, you might want to read this thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...103520&st=0

Edited by mrbojangles