Starbucks donates Bt2.5m to northern farmers

webfact

Starbucks donates Bt2.5m to northern farmers

By The Nation

251e7d82982975509d2ccb656a2a58d1.jpeg

Starbucks Coffee Thailand says it is backing the sustainable development of coffee farming in northern Thailand, donating Bt2.5 million to the Integrated Tribal Development Programme (ITDP) to celebrate the 20th anniversary in Thailand.

The funds represent part of the proceeds from sales at Starbucks Langsuan community store and from the Good Coffee Day on July 18, where customers supported farmers by donating cash for a beverage.

Starbucks has been working closely with the ITDP for 17 years in purchasing Arabica from coffee farmers in northern Thailand for the Starbucks, Muan Jai blend as well as improving the livelihood of the coffee farmers. 

Based on Starbucks’ ethical sourcing, the Coffee and Farmer Equity (Cafe) practices, coffee farmers are able to grow better coffee beans for themselves and the environment while Starbucks contributes to improving their quality of life. 

ITDP will use these funds to build a coffee bean nursery, purchase Arabica saplings and support sustainable coffee planting.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30356259

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-12

12 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I'd love to buy Thai coffee but it is more expensive/not as good as the Vietnamese brands.  Anyone recommend a brand?

Vietnamese all the way for me (Highland Brand) I love a nice Colombian coffee as well. I saw the site below. I have never tried it but I will soon. 

https://www.thethailandlife.com/put-100-organic-thai-coffee-cup

8 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I'd love to buy Thai coffee but it is more expensive/not as good as the Vietnamese brands.  Anyone recommend a brand?

If that is what you like you want a Robusta coffee - as they roast it in butter ... distinctive taste. Probably why not big market for internationally.

To each his own

27 minutes ago, rodney earl said:

But I do prefer a nice cup of tea.

We seem to get a lot of these posters. Don't drink coffee to speak of, but full of piss and venom for things beyond their knowledge.

Just being a Nigel. And there is nothing wrong with that

Just now, Snow Leopard said:

Vietnamese all the way for me (Highland Brand) 

Hey nice coffee and Arabica

It is rather strange though you would prefer it to Starbucks though. Highlands coffee is a Viet-American copy of Starbucks hehe but you knew that right?  :biggrin:

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

If that is what you like you want a Robusta coffee - as they roast it in butter ... distinctive taste. Probably why not big market for internationally.

To each his own

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I never really thought about the process. I like both, to be honest. I will look into this though. 

Just now, ZeVonderBearz said:

Nice little tax break for Starbucks coming. Starbucks loves paying tax. If only there was a way to lift the world out of poverty...

Ah, so Thai tax laws are the same as in the USA. You learn something everyday.  :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

That was generous of them. It would be good to see how much revenue they generated Vs Net Profit that they made in Thailand along with all the taxes that they have actually paid. It might bring the 2.5M B into a bit more context then.

Either way, it’s better than nothing