marriage visa

with all thd be welcomedulbtain

any advise wooe fuss regarding no more letters of proof of income fro Jan 2019

i AM LOOKING AT AN ALTERNATIVE..MARRIAGE VISA

is this very easy to obtain, paperwork ,am legally married to a Thai lady  and have 400,000 bht in the bank

a friend told me it is not easy to  obtain,any advise would be appreciated

norman leach

You can apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. The 400k baht will need to be in the bank in your name only for 2 months of the date you apply.

Not that hard to get the extension based upon marriage. Just a bit more paperwork and having your wife with you.

Separated from my farang wife back in 1999. Divorced her officially in 2013. Married Thai woman who I'd been living with since 2001.

Went from retirement (since 2004) to marriage in 2013.....in CM.

Wasn't as easy as some of you seem to expect.

Had to present my brother in law for a half hour interview about my character etc....and after they'd finished with him, my wife.

They wanted to know why I'd waited so many years before divorcing my farang wife. My Thai wife told them that I  waited for my wife to fully get over the shock of separation. (That ought to  bring a few laughs here on this forum.)

They weren't too keen on the idea ....ie going from the 800k requirement down to 400k.

In the end they let me go onto a marrigage extension.

That was in CM which has a reputation as a tough place to please. Perhaps other offices are less scrutinizing. If hundreds or thousands of foreigners (and here I include Indians, Chinese etc etc) decide to look for the cheaper marriage option then they may find that Immigration is a wake up to the ploy and may not be so accommodating. 

5 hours ago, Ned said:

....in CM

5 hours ago, Ned said:

That was in CM which has a reputation as a tough place to please. Perhaps other offices are less scrutinizing. If hundreds or thousands of foreigners (and here I include Indians, Chinese etc etc) decide to look for the cheaper marriage option then they may find that Immigration is a wake up to the ploy and may not be so accommodating. 

Good info - thanks for sharing.  That "in CM" part has a lot to do with it, though marriage-based extensions are reported as troublesome at several offices.  I am sure the CM-folks were disappointed that they could not intimidate you into using an agent to apply - but glad you were able to get through their gauntlet without one. 

They brought the extra work on themselves in CM, when they started saying embassy-letters from the USA "weren't good enough" without proof - so it comes down to how much money people want to pull out of productive-investments, to put in Thai bank accounts, to avoid using an increasingly-PITA income-method.  And who knows what is next for Brits w/o letters. 

Many can satisfy the lower "marriage" income-level with a one or two of income-sources, whereas the 65K/mo for retirement might require a portfolio analysis, or monthly transfers, or who knows what they will accept.  Few have a "pension" that pays that, so won't be able to show one document, and make it easy.

The 400K in the bank and Marriage to a Thai is completely legit, though I suppose they could start the "line up at 3AM" routine, again (or is it still happening for retirees in CM?), to discourage applicants.