Financials - extension to support Thai wife

With all the talk about UK embassy cutting off the income letter, I was surprised to learn, after 13 years, that income could be used from outside Thailand, to procure a marriage extension?

I have always been under the impression the only income allowed is that which is earned in Thailand, with a supporting WP.

If I read correctly the immigration department are saying if you can't get the income letter you need to show money deposited into a Thai bank account; but are they going to want some sort of verification?

In my case, I have a bank account outside of both Thailand and my passport country which is effectively my retirement fund. Could I simply transfer 40k baht into Thailand every month and use a bank statement showing this in place of 400k deposit, with no supporting documents?

17 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

I have always been under the impression the only income allowed is that which is earned in Thailand, with a supporting WP. 

17 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

Could I simply transfer 40k baht into Thailand every month and use a bank statement showing this in place of 400k deposit, with no supporting documents?

Hi ubonjoe, can you comment on these two points please...

27 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

That is not correct. It can be income from outside the country. I am on my 11th extension based upon marriage doing it that way.

28 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Could I simply transfer 40k baht into Thailand every month and use a bank statement showing this in place of 400k deposit, with no supporting documents?

Yes you can.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

If I read correctly the immigration department are saying if you can't get the income letter you need to show money deposited into a Thai bank account;

To my knowledge, only the BE has said this - not Thai Immigration.   We are still waiting to find out what Immigration will accept in-lieu of the embassy-letter (if anything), for Brits who cannot get the letter any more.

As to the rest of us, AFAIK, we still need the embassy-letter, and may also be asked to back it up with some evidence.  It is the "backup evidence" where deposits into a Thai acct could (depending on the office and IO) be accepted as proof.

Hopefully the Minister will issue something which nails-down what is needed in concrete terms, so that local-offices cannot play games with the rules.  Also hopefully, whatever is decided is not something draconian, which would make life difficult for good people who contribute to the Thai economy.

• Like 1