Any Safety Advice For A Lone Female Traveller?

VickyD

Hi,

I wondered in anyone had any advice for me regarding travelling alone? I'm going to be backpacking for a few months before doing a TEFL course. Is it reasonably safe for a single female traveller? Is there anything I should watch out for avoid or places to avoid? Any insights/experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

I wondered in anyone had any advice for me regarding travelling alone? I'm going to be backpacking for a few months before doing a TEFL course. Is it reasonably safe for a single female traveller? Is there anything I should watch out for avoid or places to avoid? Any insights/experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Advice you asked for: Don't do it. This advice applies to Thailand travels as well as anywhere else in the world.

Hi,

Advice you asked for: Don't do it. This advice applies to Thailand travels as well as anywhere else in the world.

Sir, according to your profile you're 73 and your advice for the 24 year old OP (who's very well educated according to her own profile) I'm sure is well meant.

But what on earth should she do ? Hide herself in her own country between 4 walls and never travel again "anywhere else in the world" ?

Sorry, your advice makes no sense because she's asking for advice about any insights/experiences and, so I assume, what to do and what not to do.

Bad things can happen everywhere and I think she's intelligent enough to take care...she shows that by asking !

With respect.

Maybe the Ladies have better comments than I gave...sorry Ladies !

LaoPo

Hi VickyD,

Can you give a little more detail? I don't mean you should give us your itinerary, but what sort of places are you planning on visiting? Very touristy places, or more out of the way? What modes of transport are you planning on using? I ask because if you are going to be taking planes to heavily populated tourist resorts, it's different from taking train or bus to little- known areas.

I think Wash was being over-cautious, but I think you need to be sensible (obvious, I know!) & not put yourself in potentially dangerous situations. I would say dress conservatively, especially when travelling. Unfortunately, some Thai men can think we farang ladies are "easy" & it wouldn't be the best idea to reinforce that idea. If anyone gets uncomfortably friendly, be polite & smile, but make it clear you're not interested. Don't lose your temper, or belittle anyone. Make sure someone knows where you should be at all times (ie this town on this date, better if you can give accomodation details, too) & check in with friends & family regularly by phone or email.

Be careful when drinking alcohol - don't lose control. Inspect your rooms before you take them & make sure they are secure. In general, I think most parts of Thailand are safer than many parts of Europe or the US, but, as when travelling anywhere, you should exercise caution & make your own safety paramount. If you feel uncomfortable in a situation, get away from it.

Many of the ladies on this forum have travelled extensively in Asia & greatly enjoyed the experience. I'm sure they'll give you great tips.

Enjoy yourself. :o

Backpackers flood into Thailand each year and they don't seem to have too many problems.

I always assume backpackers to be on a very tight budget and expect to find them in the cheapest types of accommodation. If so, then Thailand should be the ideal place for this mode of touring.

Backpacking sites are available on the net. Some of Thailand can be found here, and here, and here, and here, and television interview here, and here, and Chiang Mai here.

My only advise is to not carry anything of great value, and be most protective of your passport.

Other than that, I hope you have a great time experiencing all that Thailand has on offer.

Thousands of women travel in Thailand every year, either alone or with a female friend or two. I travelled to Thailand, Myanmar, Laos alone when I was younger, and felt safer than in my former country of residence.

Agree with NR's cautions. Yes, there have been murders, rapes, disappearances of young women in Thailand, but not often.

A few precautions may increase your sense of well-being: Do not agree to share a room with anyone you don't know well, don't carry mega-cash, use padlocks on luggage and doors where possible, don't walk in dark streets late at night, don't get mindless on alcohol or drugs, invest in a mobile phone, keep regular email contact with family & friends.

You will probably meet many other solo travellers. Often it is great to hang out together for a day or two, and you may even travel together for a while, and end up great friends. Exercising discretion and going with your gut-feeling in relation to people is a skill which travelling helps you to develop IMHO.

Enjoy your travels!

My advice is not to do or go to/be in places that you would normally avoid or wouldn't do at home..... Walking around at 3am down a dark side street totally plastered or accepting drinks from total strangers, etc is only inviting AND will get you into the same trouble ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.

On a side note, as a female I can't say that I have ever felt threatened or felt I was in a dangerous situation all the time I've lived in Thailand (and it's now 7 years) and if you take the necessary safety precautions, you should have a great time travelling :o

Agree with NR and Fruitt. I came here on my own, travelled a lot, met some folks in Khao Sarn (way, way back) and did a bit of travelling with them. If you start out in BKK, I think Khao Sarn is a good place to meet like-minded travellers.

I've taken trains and milk-run buses on my own. Never had a problem. But I would stress the importance of dressing modestly and being polite.

Make a copy or two of passport, write down all your bank info in a journal, and give this info to your mom or friend at home. Just in case.

Can't count the times I was stranded, but always managed to find a place to stay and cheap stall food and beer. Even on visa runs, it's good to make them into a little vakay if possible.

Just act like you know what you are doing, Vicky. That's the kicker!

Always have a book to read and trade, and use the Inet to search for other places to stay. Get rid of that heavy travel guide; mostly <deleted> info anyway. Everytime I used one of it's recommended places, I paid for the companionship of bedbugs, roaches and/or skitters, too.

Oh, and most of all, Enjoy!

My advice of "Don't do it" is intended in the context that is relevant to any activity that caries a risk with it. The same advice applies to my sister when she wants to go down the road and up the tree to get mangos or coconuts, or wants to go catch fish in the huge pond nearby. Do not do it alone, always have someone with you since accidents are possible at any time, no mater how careful you are.

The advice was intended to address the part of the OP I wondered in anyone had any advice for me regarding travelling alone? and not intended to address the balance of the post. I stand by my advice and even though some think 73 is too old to have advice worthy of consideration I would suggest that reaching that plateau carries with it the value of some experience.

Hi VickyD,

Can you give a little more detail? I don't mean you should give us your itinerary, but what sort of places are you planning on visiting? Very touristy places, or more out of the way? What modes of transport are you planning on using? I ask because if you are going to be taking planes to heavily populated tourist resorts, it's different from taking train or bus to little- known areas.

I think Wash was being over-cautious, but I think you need to be sensible (obvious, I know!) & not put yourself in potentially dangerous situations. I would say dress conservatively, especially when travelling. Unfortunately, some Thai men can think we farang ladies are "easy" & it wouldn't be the best idea to reinforce that idea. If anyone gets uncomfortably friendly, be polite & smile, but make it clear you're not interested. Don't lose your temper, or belittle anyone. Make sure someone knows where you should be at all times (ie this town on this date, better if you can give accomodation details, too) & check in with friends & family regularly by phone or email.

Be careful when drinking alcohol - don't lose control. Inspect your rooms before you take them & make sure they are secure. In general, I think most parts of Thailand are safer than many parts of Europe or the US, but, as when travelling anywhere, you should exercise caution & make your own safety paramount. If you feel uncomfortable in a situation, get away from it.

Many of the ladies on this forum have travelled extensively in Asia & greatly enjoyed the experience. I'm sure they'll give you great tips.

Enjoy yourself. :o

November Rain,

I am flying into Bangkok and from there taking bus/trains for the rest of my journey. Some of the places I plan on visiting are Kanchanaburi, Ayuthaya, Khao Yai, Nong Khai, Sukhothai, Lamphang before doing my TEFL in Chiang Mai. After that I'm hoping to go to Ko Phangan and Krabi and find some more isolated beaches around Trang (Is that area safe from Muslim insurgency at the minute?). How safe are the cheap buses, is it worth paying a bit extra for the more expensive ones?

Thanks for all your advice Ladies, it really is much appreciated!

Never had problems on real Thai buses, but those shysters with the overnighters from Khao Sarn Road are scary. One guy "sleeping" on the floor and shimmying up and down the aisle to see what he could scam. Almost got my wallet but I grabbed him quicksmart and he "helped" me look for it while tossing it under the seat behind me. Overnight sleeper trains are better.

November Rain,

I am flying into Bangkok and from there taking bus/trains for the rest of my journey. Some of the places I plan on visiting are Kanchanaburi, Ayuthaya, Khao Yai, Nong Khai, Sukhothai, Lamphang before doing my TEFL in Chiang Mai. After that I'm hoping to go to Ko Phangan and Krabi and find some more isolated beaches around Trang (Is that area safe from Muslim insurgency at the minute?). How safe are the cheap buses, is it worth paying a bit extra for the more expensive ones?

Thanks for all your advice Ladies, it really is much appreciated!

Trang is safe from the unrest. The Muslim extremists only mostly carry out their attacks in Pattani, Yala and Naratiwat. Even Hat Yai (in Songkhla) which was previously attacked a couple of times is considered pretty safe. You should be safe from the Muslim insurgency if you don't go to the three provinces I mentioned. Have fun in Thailand.

Agree with all the above except Walsh.

Use common sense and you will be as safe or safer than if you stayed home.

Your biggest risk is THEFT. Buses especially. Never allow anything of value to be stored in the luggage area of long distance buses. Be very aware of pick pockets on crowded buses. keep your passport and money, other valkuables on your person in a secure manner.

Another theft risk is your fellow backpackers, esp in cheap guesthouses. Some of them are far more unsavory than the locals.

Avoid walking alone after dark in quiet areas, but that comes under common sense. A good yardstick is whether or not you see ordinary Thai women walking around. If you don't, probably not a good idea for you to do so alone either.

To minimize unwanted sexual overtures, try to sit next to women on trains and buses, avoid men who are drinking, and don't respond to overtures from Thai men when travelling alone. Remember that in Thai culture, a man and a woman being alone has an automatic sexual implication and some Thais -- especially less educated ones -- believe all foriegn women to be sexually promiscuous. Never go anywhere alone with a Thai man unless your intentions are sexual. Fine to socialize with them in a group, or even with just one other person along. Avoid Thai guys who seem to target foreign women, they are bad news, after either sex or money or both.

on the thai men note; I have noticed a lot of foriegn (tourist) women when getting advances from (usually drunk) thai men tend to smile & try to be very gentle when letting him down thinking they are being polite. The smile is an automatic come on esp if the guy doesn't speak good english so.... DON'T SMILE AT ANNOYING THAI MEN HITTING ON YOU. THEY WILL THINK THIS IS A COME ON. Just say no then turn your head. Keep your features as neutral as possible & if he persists, leave or move to a place/table near one populated with thai women or older thai people.

Hubby nearly had to have a fight with a couple of pissed up issan lads when a pretty blonde friend from BKK visitied us there. We were taking the midnight train back to BKK with her & as we got out of the car with our bags these two drunks came over to goggle at the farang girls. I ignored them & turned my back but she, not knowing, was laughing nervously with a beaming (scared) smile. The guys took this as encouragement & hubby & his mate had to put themselves between the men & her & speak some pretty rough thai to make them back off. Had she been alone, nah I don't even want to think about :o

use common sense, take the normal precautions as you would at home & one rule I always followed was, who cares if you read a situation wrong & feel a bit foolish for being overly cautious when you feel threatened. At least your alive & unhurt & if you had to be a bit blunt or brusk with a stranger, well they dont' know you & again, you are ok & thats all that matters. :D

I travelled alone around LOS for years & lived alone too before meeting & marrying so I think it is prettty safe & never had any situation I couldn't handle easily by using the advice above.

I actually plan on doing some more travel in August with my new born baby whilst my hubby works on his mums house so I still trust the country & people enough & am quite looking forward to getting back on the road after several stagnant years :D

The smile is an automatic come on esp if the guy doesn't speak good english so.... DON'T SMILE AT ANNOYING THAI MEN HITTING ON YOU. THEY WILL THINK THIS IS A COME ON. Just say no then turn your head.

i would say this is true for all nationalities! especially when drunk.

my advice, especially don't be too nice to taxi drivers late at night. and cover up.

Edited by girlx