Importing used bike parts - import cost in Thailand?

OneMoreFarang

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its not just 60 GP.. add the shipping and then ad 30% tax and then 7% vat.. (could be more as 30 as I did not look up the tarif for motorcycle parts)

Thanks. And is that something which I can expect will happen? Or is it a possibility but maybe they won't charge it?

If I buy the part I will tell the seller to keep it dirty and put it in an old box. Maybe that helps...

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks. And is that something which I can expect will happen? Or is it a possibility but maybe they won't charge it?

If I buy the part I will tell the seller to keep it dirty and put it in an old box. Maybe that helps...

Yes it might help but if its big and heavy it will be inspected. Its often the luck of the draw, my experience bigger heavier items are often inspected smaller stuff not always. 

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe I will buy a used exhaust for my bike from the UK. The guy sells it for 60 GBP.

What extra cost should I expect in Bangkok for tax, customs, things like that?

Is one or the other shipping option better to avoid lots of extra cost?

If it's below 2 kgs in weight insist the seller sends it by Royal Mail Parcel Force.

That way you will indeed pay only the post plus

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Its not just 60 GP.. add the shipping and then ad 30% tax and then 7% vat.. (could be more as 30 as I did not look up the tarif for motorcycle parts)

this 37%.

If it goes by #**##*# 'ing courier - all bets are off.

You could be charged the shipping, plus your 60 quid or just 60 quid or 120.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes it might help but if its big and heavy it will be inspected. Its often the luck of the draw, my experience bigger heavier items are often inspected smaller stuff not always. 

Agreed. I have had tons (not literally) of m/c parts sent to me over the years from mainly the UK and USA, some from Europe and once from Australia.

Once you get over 2kgs and/or a small package and/or expensive contents, you are in a whole world of pain. Especially if a courier is involved.

Below 2kgs and 80GBP in value the Thai PO won't be interested, over that and it will be 37% which is ok.

Who knows the secrets of a DHL manager's mind........

Thaiguzzi is right. Avoid couriers at all cost. Send by normal post, declare on the box "Used part" or "Damaged part - Return to sender" with a value of less than 50$. Even if heavy, you might still get lucky and not have to pay tax or just 1.000-2.000 baht. 

8 minutes ago, OmegaRacer said:

Thaiguzzi is right. Avoid couriers at all cost. Send by normal post, declare on the box "Used part" or "Damaged part - Return to sender" with a value of less than 50$. Even if heavy, you might still get lucky and not have to pay tax or just 1.000-2.000 baht. 

Yep, i'm 3 weeks into a nightmare order which should be a straight forward order, package & shipping. Basically a new fuel tank from the UK which costs 207 GBP plus 59 GBP shipping using the dreaded D H L. If i'd ordered it (i cancelled because they would not send via the UKPO - only by DHL) i would have paid charges this end @ minimum of 270 GBP, possibly a lot more. Couriers are thieving *****.

30 minutes ago, Stese said:

i'm in the uk at the moment returning in soon to phuket with some bike parts in my suitcase, wonder how i'll get on?

You'll get on fine....

I've bought 10's of 1000's of Baht's worth of motorcycle parts back in suitcases over the years. Nobody is interested at customs. Cylinder heads, swing arms, fuel tanks, carbs, seats, blah blah....

Reminded me off my first experience bringing motorcycle parts into Thailand, was about 25 years ago, I was living in Bangkok. I had to go to customs house which was close to the railway station after receiving notice goods had arrived, needed to hire a interpreter outside to help, inside there was a multitude of desks with customs folk sat at each desk, every desk was numbered, you had to go from desk to desk getting a signature and chop at each desk, if I remember correctly it took 16 chops and signatories, some of the folks at the desk would be asleep, so would have to go to another desk while they had their nap, some would require a few baht to cover their "time" eventually I had either enough signatures or no room left for any more on the piece of paper and was "allowed" with lots of head shaking, to have the box opened and duty charged, after many hours being there I was just glad to be able to pay and get the $uck outta there, cant remember what it cost.

A lot easier nowadays thankfully - though I still hate couriers, DHL the worst FEDEX close behind!

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Reminded me off my first experience bringing motorcycle parts into Thailand, was about 25 years ago, I was living in Bangkok. I had to go to customs house which was close to the railway station after receiving notice goods had arrived, needed to hire a interpreter outside to help, inside there was a multitude of desks with customs folk sat at each desk, every desk was numbered, you had to go from desk to desk getting a signature and chop at each desk, if I remember correctly it took 16 chops and signatories, some of the folks at the desk would be asleep, so would have to go to another desk while they had their nap, some would require a few baht to cover their "time" eventually I had either enough signatures or no room left for any more on the piece of paper and was "allowed" with lots of head shaking, to have the box opened and duty charged, after many hours being there I was just glad to be able to pay and get the $uck outta there, cant remember what it cost.

A lot easier nowadays thankfully - though I still hate couriers, DHL the worst FEDEX close behind!

I was in exactly the same office about 10 years ago when I imported some new bike part from Japan.

I was actually surprised by the efficiency in that office. I also had to go to many desks one after another, maybe 10 desks.

But as far as I remember they all knew their jobs and they did it efficient.

I think I spend in that place maybe 20 minutes and walked out with my part with a reasonable amount paid.

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I was actually surprised by the efficiency in that office. I also had to go to many desks one after another, maybe 10 desks.

But as far as I remember they all knew their jobs and they did it efficient.

It's good to hear they have improved, there was no possibility of getting any worse! probably have luxuries like AC now ???? It was on two levels as I remember so you were also having to run up and down stairs trying to locate the next desk to visit!

Archived