New pick up time 2018--help needed

Scouse123

Guys,

saying goodbye to my pick up in the next couple of weeks.

It's been a great car as in the top of the range Toyota pickups. I am seeking advice from car buffs and opinions from any of you who have visited this year's motor show for ideas for a new pick up. I have had Toyotas for many years and they are trying to tempt me with the new Toyota Rocco, which looks nice, to be honest. However, I would like to look at a few further afield as I am bored with Toyota after Toyota.

Also, I never off road or anything other than sealed roads, so I think I can cut down on the 4 x 4 necessity, I actually think I am just wasting money by buying them. I would like an automatic, 4 doors, Diesel or petrol I suppose. Something very nice to look at and eye-catching, that is also a comfortable ride.

Ideas, please!

I am looking at around 1 million up to 1.2 million baht.

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I think I can cut down on the 4 x 4 necessity, I actually think I am just wasting money by buying them.

I agree. Mine doesnt have 4WD and in all the years I've owned it I have never been anywhere where I might have wanted it.

Like the OP I am about to sell my Vigo 4x4 auto trans. Not to buy another truck though, came to the conclusion that I now don't use it as I have over the years, pointless just to go round the block every day.

If I was going to buy another it would most definitely be the Revo Rocco. Why, my truck still drives like new, no rattles, squeaks, knocks, nothing, and still stands tall. That tells me they got the build spot on.

At the time I bought it the only model with auto was the 4x4, used that a few times and in the rain it was a blast..Would I buy a 4x4 now, not sure, if cash was no problem I probably would, I like the stickers....????

3 hours ago, transam said:

Like the OP I am about to sell my Vigo 4x4 auto trans. Not to buy another truck though, came to the conclusion that I now don't use it as I have over the years, pointless just to go round the block every day.

If I was going to buy another it would most definitely be the Revo Rocco. Why, my truck still drives like new, no rattles, squeaks, knocks, nothing, and still stands tall. That tells me they got the build spot on.

At the time I bought it the only model with auto was the 4x4, used that a few times and in the rain it was a blast..Would I buy a 4x4 now, not sure, if cash was no problem I probably would, I like the stickers....????

Transam,

I am presently looking at the 2 x 4 2.4G AT at 999.000 baht Rocco.

The 4 x 4 version with push-button start, as opposed to key, is coming in at nearly 1.2 million. but that is a 2.8 ENGINE with AT.

It does have all the stickers though!!  I am wondering if I buy the 2.4 at a million if I can just order the stickers.

I am of the same mind, I don't travel enough around Isaarn and for longer journeys, they have invented AIR ASIA.

9 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Transam,

I am presently looking at the 2 x 4 2.4G AT at 999.000 baht Rocco.

The 4 x 4 version with push-button start, as opposed to key, is coming in at nearly 1.2 million. but that is a 2.8 ENGINE with AT.

It does have all the stickers though!!  I am wondering if I buy the 2.4 at a million if I can just order the stickers.

I am of the same mind, I don't travel enough around Isaarn and for longer journeys, they have invented AIR ASIA.

I bought a 4x4 sticker at Toyota for peanuts to stick on the tail gate to upset Prerunner blokes..????

To the OP,

if its a great truck and you don't need to sell it, why buy a new one?

Serious question.

Why waste money on the trade in difference?

Why even buy new?

Some of the posters here think nothing of blowing 25-30k English Pounds on a truck/SUV/car here.

Mad!

I come from a motorcycle background so i have never appreciated driving round in new expensive cars that you never get your money back on. Most expensive car i bought in the UK was a 10 y/o Merc for 1600 quid, normally driving around in beaten up old Astra vans.

Here i bought my first truck, a cab 3 y/o Nissan Frontier for 300 odd k (at the time a 74:1 exchange rate), so still nearly 5k GBP which made me wince. After 3 years of that we needed a 4 door so i bought a 9 month old, 11k kms, repo 4 door Vigo Prerunner for 570k, list at the time was 790k. That deal was good, but still brought tears to my eyes. Nearly 10k (60:1 exchange rate @ the time) for a car/truck ?!?!

That was 10 years ago, and we still have the truck. And 130 odd kms later and nothing has gone wrong, still looks good, drives like new.

Point being, why chop & change & why waste money?

I ain't one for keeping up with the Joneses, are you?

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

To the OP,

if its a great truck and you don't need to sell it, 

Some people like a change, a friend once said to me cars are like wives after a year or so you see something else you like.

Keeping the same thing for more than twenty years just ain't natural. 

I had a company car I really liked and the boss said change it, I said can I keep it, ans no because it was a accounts thing so I got a later model, he said why didn't you change I said I did I changed the colour. 

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

To the OP,

if its a great truck and you don't need to sell it, why buy a new one?

Serious question.

Why waste money on the trade in difference?

Why even buy new?

Some of the posters here think nothing of blowing 25-30k English Pounds on a truck/SUV/car here.

Mad!

I come from a motorcycle background so i have never appreciated driving round in new expensive cars that you never get your money back on. Most expensive car i bought in the UK was a 10 y/o Merc for 1600 quid, normally driving around in beaten up old Astra vans.

Here i bought my first truck, a cab 3 y/o Nissan Frontier for 300 odd k (at the time a 74:1 exchange rate), so still nearly 5k GBP which made me wince. After 3 years of that we needed a 4 door so i bought a 9 month old, 11k kms, repo 4 door Vigo Prerunner for 570k, list at the time was 790k. That deal was good, but still brought tears to my eyes. Nearly 10k (60:1 exchange rate @ the time) for a car/truck ?!?!

That was 10 years ago, and we still have the truck. And 130 odd kms later and nothing has gone wrong, still looks good, drives like new.

Agree with you. SWOMBO just bought a new Revo Rocco the top of the range for her business, carrying products all over northern Thailand, its amazing. LOL I havent even driven it yet looks so big and nasty next our Toyota Wish. This one is 12 years old 104,000 klm drives like new so I am happy on wet days to get off the PCX and use the Wish. People asked to buy the Wish, said no its perfect also not wanting to keep up with Jones If you have a good old vehicle thats reliable why change?

I recently bought a Toyota Revo Rocco to replace a 10 year old Vigo. I must say the improvements in the vehicle over the past 10 years are astounding. The ride is great, the steering precise and light. The finish is excellent with reversing camera, GPS, electric seat, cool box etc are all great. The ride is about 3 inches higher than my Vigo which makes reading the road that much easier. Overall I am very pleased.

The other truck I considered was a Ford Ranger Raptor, which I think looks really great. The problem I had was that I have a Ford Fiesta as well and it is a piece of junk, so I worried that the same thing might apply to the Raptor. The Fiesta has a junk automatic gearbox and I cannot understand how in this day and age they could so such a thing (and then do nothing about replacing it). Gearboxes are not exactly advanced technology. So no more Fords for me.

3 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I recently bought a Toyota Revo Rocco to replace a 10 year old Vigo. I must say the improvements in the vehicle over the past 10 years are astounding. The ride is great, the steering precise and light. The finish is excellent with reversing camera, GPS, electric seat, cool box etc are all great. The ride is about 3 inches higher than my Vigo which makes reading the road that much easier. Overall I am very pleased.

The other truck I considered was a Ford Ranger Raptor, which I think looks really great. The problem I had was that I have a Ford Fiesta as well and it is a piece of junk, so I worried that the same thing might apply to the Raptor. The Fiesta has a junk automatic gearbox and I cannot understand how in this day and age they could so such a thing (and then do nothing about replacing it). Gearboxes are not exactly advanced technology. So no more Fords for me.

Pedrogaz,

Which type of Rocco did you buy, please?  I am seriously interested in one and they are, as usual, pushing the most expensive 4 x 4, which I have said, I do not think I need. However, keyless ignition is not a feature of the 2.4. engine version. Finally, what do they mean by the cool box?

3 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

I like my mode of transport.....starts every morning early, easy on fuel consumption, girls like the body and so on.....it is called two legs and two feet......and walking.....good for the health and vigor....try it, you might like it? ????????????????

What's your range on a full tank of gas?

For resale and reliability probably exclude Ford,but rather than brand change for change sake ,look at who has most recently updated their model and has more modern engineering. 4 years ago I bought Isuzu because the Toyota had a new model in the not too distant future and I couldn’t wait ,having no vehicle. I think Toyota is still about the newest model and of course answers reliability,resale issues. 4x4 pointless if you don’t use it due to more weight,worse consumption and usually worse ride. 

20 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

And... based on reports (only in Thai now, see link to other thread for a rough translation) Ford is again having tranny troubles, with their Ranger/Everests now being the victims of what might be a poorly designed tranny.

New Ranger/Everest owners or those thinking to buy, be forewarned. Intertestingly the article and the topic only exists in Thai - can find no english equivalent in the press..and the google translate is not perfect but the points are there - stopped production due to tranny trouble and have issued a stop sell it looks like to dealers based on VINs so they can replace/repair units already shipped - who knows how deep the design fault might be - but asl Focus/Fiesta owners how they feel a transmission contributes to overall vehicle quality ????

Guys,

Update.

I will quickly cover all bases. I sold and got paid today for my Toyota 4x4 Vigo champ 3.DL It has just gone 4 years old, and I got 660,000 baht but it is in mint condition with 32,xxx on the clock. Nothing for a truck like this! However, it is now the ' old model ' which counts to me. Yes, it is a bit of an extravagance, maybe I am stupid but it is one of the pleasures I have in Thailand,.

Anyway, on Saturday coming, ( I am told!) my new Toyota Rocco 4x4, 2.8 AT arrives. Reason being there were too many extras that I wanted absent from the 2X4, 2.4 AT So, the decision is made. This will be my third new Toyota 4x4 and I have never had an issue, either with the trucks or resale and they have always sold quickly, and within days of advertising on baht sold.

On 10/17/2018 at 12:53 PM, kuma said:

And... based on reports (only in Thai now, see link to other thread for a rough translation) Ford is again having tranny troubles, with their Ranger/Everests now being the victims of what might be a poorly designed tranny.

New Ranger/Everest owners or those thinking to buy, be forewarned. Intertestingly the article and the topic only exists in Thai - can find no english equivalent in the press..and the google translate is not perfect but the points are there - stopped production due to tranny trouble and have issued a stop sell it looks like to dealers based on VINs so they can replace/repair units already shipped - who knows how deep the design fault might be - but asl Focus/Fiesta owners how they feel a transmission contributes to overall vehicle quality ????

Interesting to hear, had seen something else about this and with Fords latest Class Action failure it doesnt inspire confidence.

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

Guys,

Update.

I will quickly cover all bases. I sold and got paid today for my Toyota 4x4 Vigo champ 3.DL It has just gone 4 years old, and I got 660,000 baht but it is in mint condition with 32,xxx on the clock. Nothing for a truck like this! However, it is now the ' old model ' which counts to me. Yes, it is a bit of an extravagance, maybe I am stupid but it is one of the pleasures I have in Thailand,.

Anyway, on Saturday coming, ( I am told!) my new Toyota Rocco 4x4, 2.8 AT arrives. Reason being there were too many extras that I wanted absent from the 2X4, 2.4 AT So, the decision is made. This will be my third new Toyota 4x4 and I have never had an issue, either with the trucks or resale and they have always sold quickly, and within days of advertising on baht sold.

Ive always had great service from Toyota with my Hilux but their new Revo does not inspire me at all, thought they would have given the 2.8 more  oooomph and I found the infotainment screen  looks like theyve just stuck it on the dash as an afterthought, sure youll be happy  with it though, its a very personal thing.

The grass is never greener, I once got pissed at the Toyota salesmen and walk out and got a fully loaded top to bottom 4x4 American. No matter how much I like Ford after my last experience please keep anything with the American name clear of me.

I thought I'll be dead by the time I figure out all the hi-tech items I could barely operate the radio and my last truck can't remember the last time I used the 4x4?

In the end, I looked at the Toyota Revo, E plus model 4x2, 2.4 CC price marked 899,000, next model up was the G, 2.4 at 969,999, for 70,000 baht more but decline just didn't feel given enough options basically you got the GPS, A/C vents for the rare console and the more digital buttons my old thinking the more digital the more problems later. Old school give me dials and a key to start it up.

In 8 months I went to six dealerships starting price 899,000 pretty much got around the same numbers, all the trimming as usual including 1 year insurance, free black leather interior, window film, lining for back, windshields for windows, door handle guards, floor mats, car cover, kick plate door entry, step bar both side entry, 7,000 off for picking up white exterior, tax license etc.. paying cash bids all came in 890-900,000

Then I hit jackpot at the last dealer not sure what I was hearing got everything above and a final price for 867,000 in writing.

Since I had already purchased two Toyota and happy with service at dealership when it came time I walked in spoke to my regular saleman wrote down what I wanted and told him to match or do better. He match! 

The day I picked it up, I pull out and went next door to Dunlap and got 4 18 inch rims with a set of new BF Goodridge AT, when that was done I drove up Sukhumvit and got my rear painted white cover and front bug guard. Basically I made it my cheap version of a Rocco. Big surprise is the 7 speed A/T finally took it on a long trip 1700 Kilo on less than a tank of Diesel. 

Today it is cleaned, waxed and covered sitting for the next big trip. More than happy with what I got!

8 hours ago, thailand49 said:

The grass is never greener, I once got pissed at the Toyota salesmen and walk out and got a fully loaded top to bottom 4x4 American. No matter how much I like Ford after my last experience please keep anything with the American name clear of me.

I thought I'll be dead by the time I figure out all the hi-tech items I could barely operate the radio and my last truck can't remember the last time I used the 4x4?

In the end, I looked at the Toyota Revo, E plus model 4x2, 2.4 CC price marked 899,000, next model up was the G, 2.4 at 969,999, for 70,000 baht more but decline just didn't feel given enough options basically you got the GPS, A/C vents for the rare console and the more digital buttons my old thinking the more digital the more problems later. Old school give me dials and a key to start it up.

In 8 months I went to six dealerships starting price 899,000 pretty much got around the same numbers, all the trimming as usual including 1 year insurance, free black leather interior, window film, lining for back, windshields for windows, door handle guards, floor mats, car cover, kick plate door entry, step bar both side entry, 7,000 off for picking up white exterior, tax license etc.. paying cash bids all came in 890-900,000

Then I hit jackpot at the last dealer not sure what I was hearing got everything above and a final price for 867,000 in writing.

Since I had already purchased two Toyota and happy with service at dealership when it came time I walked in spoke to my regular saleman wrote down what I wanted and told him to match or do better. He match! 

The day I picked it up, I pull out and went next door to Dunlap and got 4 18 inch rims with a set of new BF Goodridge AT, when that was done I drove up Sukhumvit and got my rear painted white cover and front bug guard. Basically I made it my cheap version of a Rocco. Big surprise is the 7 speed A/T finally took it on a long trip 1700 Kilo on less than a tank of Diesel. 

Today it is cleaned, waxed and covered sitting for the next big trip. More than happy with what I got!

Wow ...that fuel consumption is impressive ...well over 20Km/Ltr

On 10/16/2018 at 8:39 PM, Scouse123 said:

Finally, what do they mean by the cool box?

Firstly Congrats on the new ride.  Always fun to buy a new vehicle.  It was good to see you bought the top of the line because you would have likely kicked yourself in the butt for not having the push button start and the better interior features.  

The cool box mentioned is a storage area above the glove box where you can divert AC to it to keep water and other things cool.  I bought a fully loaded 2016 Revo 4x4 and my wife uses that box frequently. I have heavily modified my truck to make it far better then a TRD optioned truck soon after buying it which was my plan. I intend on having this truck for 10 years or more and with Toyotas reliability record that should be no problem.   

20 hours ago, kannot said:

Interesting to hear, had seen something else about this and with Fords latest Class Action failure it doesnt inspire confidence.

It is broadly agreed that Ford went out of their way to treat customers with disdain - and reasonably hefty awards have been granted by courts in Thailand and Australia that I know of to date, and more are pending...including what might be a big one in the US (see link)

http://fordpowershiftlawsuit.com

Here are more updates in Thai only - it seems to relate to the Ranger/Everest tranny trouble - even though the translate says "car". See the bold underlined portion - seems we are now way past "a missing clip" - LOL - there is a number to call as well if you are one of the affected, good luck!

Here is link and rough google translate

https://www.posttoday.com/auto/568062

"Ford" clarification does not suspend car sales. But delay the delivery to check and let customers gradually bring the car with the problem of gear to the car to check the condition at a convenient date .... Continue reading at: https://www.posttoday.com/auto/568062

Ford issued a statement. The news about suspension of sales of the car. The measure is to delay delivery to check. It is a basic measure. To check the availability of the car at every showroom. We will do our best to resolve the problem as soon as possible. The results show that some cars may have welded torque components. The inverter is not suitable for the engine. This may result in the anchor being removed from the torque. Converter Lead to loss of power in both forward and reverse gear. Ford is contacting potential customers by October 19, 2018, so that customers can check in at a convenient time and date.

Ford apologized for the inconvenience. If the customer is concerned. For more information, please contact customer service at 02 686 5899 .... Read more at: https://www.posttoday.com/auto/568062

Guys,

Thought I might share like-minded truck enthusiasts in Thailand and elsewhere, with pics as the truck has arrived fully loaded 4x4. I collected it today and I think plenty of dosh, but no regrets. It's in the white oyster pearl color which I think is great against the black.

I have a five-year warranty or 150,000 Km with this truck, as it is the third I have bought from this dealership.

My made got made up, even more, when posts here mentioned Ford were having hassles, and what I read online with the problems they were having with Ford transmissions.

I looked at Isuzu but the dealership appeared uninterested in dealing with me and more interested in chatting and eating at the particular branch I went to.

2018-10-22 16.18.05.jpg

2018-10-22 16.18.37.jpg

2018-10-22 16.20.26.jpg

2018-10-22 15.19.09.jpg

2018-10-22 16.21.19.jpg

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

I looked at Isuzu but the dealership appeared uninterested in dealing with me and more interested in chatting and eating at the particular branch I went to.

Not uncommon, one of the biggest factors  will be the dealer at the end of the  day, brand doesnt matter too much if dealer is  helpful, had good and  awful from Honda and others over the years.

Tried many different brands of vehicles also.

Pop back to Isuzu  with the Wife, am sure a salesman will rapidly approach and let her explain you'd been in earlier but gotten no response, i'd do it just for a laugh.

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Nice looking truck with alot of "extra's" it would seem.

Would you mind saying what the final price of that was ?

Hi,

Altogether it's come out in the very near region of 1.2 million baht, slightly more actually., about 17,000 baht more, so 1,217,000. Fully loaded.

I ordered everything that was going. There were a few bits I didn't budget for but no big deal in the grand scale of things.

This one is here for quite a while if I get my way and I won't be investing again for a good few years.

Archived