Rear wheel stand - where to buy and what to look for?

OneMoreFarang

After my not so good experience with the service I think about buying a rear wheel stand for my bike.

It seems there are lots of models available from as low as about 1,000B to about 10,000B

I like to buy something decent which I can use maybe once a week (likely less) and which I can store in my apartment when I don't use it. I think it shouldn't cost more than 3,000B (just my gut feeling)

It seems there are different models. Some need bobbins, some not, some other special adapters.

What is your experience? What is good and easy to use and what is not recommended.

My bike has holes on the swing arm where I can mount bobbins if that makes sense.

If possible I like to buy it somewhere in Bangkok where I can see it first.

Here are some picture

constands-rac-mov-r2-7.jpg.f424dcb78379a2624dea06edbda5cb51.jpg

KTM-390-ee201430d561c67e-medium.jpg.aae6c024690d672a2954a9a3064a20c2.jpg

pdstand1.jpg.d33315f23a5da9a5be0e0ed280a46af6.jpg

pho_pp_nmon_61029055144_bobbins_for_rear_wheelstand__sall__awsg__v1_1024x1024.jpg.f18cc6f01e35d3d02d01b54e943dc39a.jpg

On your bike (KTM 390?) they will all do the job.

Low weight = no problem. It's when you start using them on 200kg + bikes that the cheapo ones will show their crap features (basically weak steel & design).

The middle one saves buying bobbins but is generally not as strong as the first one. I have had two of the bobbin-less ones for over 20 years now, they are getting a bit tired but still work - on bikes up to 250 kgs.

Think i need one of these now I have a versys aswell,,,crf is fine have a sort of wooden stool that I can man handle it up onto and gets both wheels off the floor.got both types n the U.K. and definitely prefer the bobbin style ones.

if in Bangkok most big bike shops should stock them ,for me think It will be online order from lazada.

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, poanoi said:

whats the point in having it ?

i would go for the cheapest option since its guaranteed to be a rust collector

Basically it is kind of a replacement for a center stand.

My bike does not have a center stand and if I want to do something like lubricating the chain then that is a nightmare without getting the rear wheel of the ground.

I am sure it's also helpful with cleaning the rear wheel and other work.

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

On your bike (KTM 390?) they will all do the job.

Low weight = no problem. It's when you start using them on 200kg + bikes that the cheapo ones will show their crap features (basically weak steel & design).

The middle one saves buying bobbins but is generally not as strong as the first one. I have had two of the bobbin-less ones for over 20 years now, they are getting a bit tired but still work - on bikes up to 250 kgs.

Thanks, good to know.

Yes, it's for my KTM Duke 390 which weights 160kg or something like that.

Would you buy a new one with or without bobbins and why?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, taninthai said:

Think i need one of these now I have a versys aswell,,,crf is fine have a sort of wooden stool that I can man handle it up onto and gets both wheels off the floor.got both types n the U.K. and definitely prefer the bobbin style ones.

if in Bangkok most big bike shops should stock them ,for me think It will be online order from lazada.

With the Versys I had paddock stand at the rear a two 170 baht scissor jacks lifting the front to get both wheels off floor, worked fine..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Up to you really dude, each to their own.

Hell, even my local corner mom'n'pop m/c shop has started selling them in my local market town in Nakon Nowhere.

I'd just buy whatever your local favourite shop has in stock, and what you think is best. No biggie.

To lift a wheel (front or rear) there is always bottle jacks from 200 baht, scissor jacks from 500 baht and trolley jacks from a 1000 up. They all do the job.

008.thumb.jpg.8626873a2529900994ac9846c1886416.jpg

001.jpg

Thanks for presenting all the options.

I had a closer look at the underside of my bike today. I will be difficult to put any of those jacks under it.

So I will go for a rear wheel stand, probably with bobbins.

Thanks to everybody for your help!

• Like 1

When I built my shed earlier this year, I put a really strong ridge beam in and am thinking about a hoist of some kind for my NV. Need to get it higher than one of these stands for me poor ald back.

Going for a small aircon unit too, maybe freestanding?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess it's an option. But I wouldn't use it i.e. to lube the chain of a bike. I think the risk is way too high that the bike would fall down...

Correct, I use a bottle jack to do my chain, made a frame adaptor, but it could easily fall off doing anything else.