Video: Another scamming taxi driver - foreigner posts on Facebook

webfact

Video: Another scamming taxi driver - foreigner posts on Facebook

4pm.jpg

video screenshot

A Thai speaking foreigner posted about their early morning experience in a cab in Bangkok.

At one point the driver states that this is a cab without meter. 

After an alleged off camera altercation the passengers exited the cab at a 7/11 and parted with 100 baht for a short journey.

The video appeared on the page of "Adam Valdevilla". 

The full text of the post is below:

"Around 4:50 in the morning, we took a cab from Silom Complex to Bang Khen. Unfortunately we have gotten this imbecile to send us off. We had a good conversation with the taxi driver at first, then my friend noticed that he didn't use a taxi meter system. So I had to ask him to stop immediately. My friend was a bit panicky and kept asking where we're going. I was about to snatch the neck of this moron but I noticed his hands were cuffed with bandages and thought that he might be one of the taxi drivers who bring with them blades and dagger. Then I thought to be defensive and not aggressive, one, because I have a friend with me, two, because it is always safe to keep your self on guard rather than being offensive. I had to talk to him like a one year old to calm the situation down. That's why in the video he asked me why I took photos of him. Prior to this video, we had a very intense argument because he was asking us a fixed rate of 500 down to 300 and I pleasantly refused saying "Mai ao krub" ( I don't want it) like 6 times. I had to ask him to pull his car over in front of a 7-eleven because we had to get some money. Then he told us to give him a hundred baht for a 300-m ride from Silom complex. When we found a 7-eleven, I had to tap the other passenger seat and ask him to stop the car. My friend and I were okay and home safe.

To taxi number ทก 2278 . It's pay back time. He's a scammer. Share Share Share."

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-18

I've written before that if they are serious about tackling the taxi crooks they should send out the army who do who-knows-what all day, dressed in civvies. Any driver who refuses a fare or to turn on the meter or drives dangerously should be arrested immediately for breaking the law. Flood the streets with them for a month and then do it again, and you can bet your life things would change.

But ,really, those who make the big decisions don't care as they probably never use taxis.

6 hours ago, les Dennis said:

It would be a good idea if one of Big Jokes team designed an app (or whatever) we could send all these photos too. Then do something about the repeat offenders. Word would soon get around the drivers.

Good idea yes - but all wrong. Foreigners don't drive taxi in Thailand... On the other hand, there might be an app soon to send links to Instagram, FB etc. accounts that are posting these offensive videos...

The foreigner was a Filipino working in Thailand. They are often mistaken for being Thais , but in this case it didn't help them much.

Also late at night in the tourist areas like Silom , its almost impossible to find a normal taxi with meter. 

recently, a friend visiting Bangkok asked me whether it's ok for him to press the button on the taxi meter when the driver "forgets" to turn it on. Apparently that's what his colleague always does. Sit in the front seat, and turn the meter on himself if the driver "forgets". 

I always check the meter within 1 or 2 minutes after entering the taxi. But if I'm in the CBD or touristy areas at night where many dishonest drivers are around, I immediately make sure the meter is turned on. 

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've written before that if they are serious about tackling the taxi crooks they should send out the army who do who-knows-what all day, dressed in civvies. Any driver who refuses a fare or to turn on the meter or drives dangerously should be arrested immediately for breaking the law. Flood the streets with them for a month and then do it again, and you can bet your life things would change.

But ,really, those who make the big decisions don't care as they probably never use taxis.

In Pattaya I have a regular diver, a woman who has the official pattaya 7 seater taxi. She doesnt even have a meter to turn on. I have never bothered to look in other taxis but assume a lot, if not all are the same.

Where did you write this before? banging on about it on TV aint gonna help.

2 hours ago, Pete1980 said:

In Pattaya I have a regular diver, a woman who has the official pattaya 7 seater taxi. She doesnt even have a meter to turn on. I have never bothered to look in other taxis but assume a lot, if not all are the same.

Where did you write this before? banging on about it on TV aint gonna help.

He's from London, they compl;ain but don't do anything

Archived