Work Permit cancelled - Non B still "valid"

Hi, I'm in a bit of a visa-pickle:

I am currently in Thailand on a Non-B visa 2-year extension of stay. However, my work permit was cancelled some time ago already, but as I was abroad at the time, my visa extension was never cancelled. I only recently found out that it should've been cancelled – but that never happened and I've had no problems re-entering Thailand with it multiple times. It will expire in December, while I'm back home in Europe for the holidays, so can I simply apply for a new (tourist) visa right after?

Some people tell me I have to manually cancel the non-B visa in Thailand first before applying for a new visa, but this will be difficult as the linked work permit was cancelled some time ago already and I won't be able to produce the cancellation letter. 

Trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle, or if simply getting a new passport would do the trick? 

TIA! 

I can't tell you the exact details but I know about a guy in a similar situation like you.

He had a B visa but the work permit was canceled.

As far as I understand it your B visa is invalid in the moment that the work permit is not valid anymore.

So even if you have that stamp in your passport you have no valid visa!

Better sort this out ASAP otherwise you could be without valid visa for too long and then you will be banned from Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJansen1992 said:

It will expire in December, while I'm back home in Europe for the holidays, so can I simply apply for a new (tourist) visa right after?

Yes. You should be able apply before December if necessary.

If you leave the country without a re-entry permit the current extension of stay will end on exit.

Some people tell me I have to manually cancel the non-B visa in Thailand first before applying for a new visa, but this will be difficult as the linked work permit was cancelled some time ago already and I won't be able to produce the cancellation letter. 

You do not need to cancel anything. Your extension of stay will expire when you leave the country (without a re-entry permit), or while you’re out of the country (even if you have a re-entry permit).

You will not need to provide a cancellation letter to get a new visa.

Trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle, or if simply getting a new passport would do the trick?

You have nothing to do or worry about. Getting a new passport isn’t necessary.

Edited by elviajero
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, overherebc said:

First question is are/were on a visa or an extension of stay. Did you do 90 day reports at your local Imm office or leave and return to Thailand every 90 days?

59 minutes ago, CJansen1992 said:

I am currently in Thailand on a Non-B visa 2-year extension of stay.

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

OneMoreFarang..  That was the reason for my question on extension or visa.

If on extension then that is cancelled along with the WP.

If on visa then the visa remains valid.

my visa extension was never cancelled. I only recently found out that it should've been cancelled

20 hours ago, overherebc said:

All good but it's still not an extended visa so the word visa is irrelevant.

It's an extension of stay which is not a visa.

Yes people get bent out of shape and claim it's just a semantic game when someone points out that a visa and an extension of stay (in the Thai context) are two different things, but there are significant differences in cases when the reason for an extension is terminated (e.g. marriage or work) that wouldn't apply if someone was in the country with a permission to stay based on a visa entry.

Visas are not extensions of stays. Validity or expiration of a visa is a different matter from the validity or expiration of a permission to stay. Visas are never extended nor would they be cancelled by immigrations. Immigrations do not issue non-imm O or tourist visas (when a conversion is done you end up with a non-imm O entry and permission to stay, not a valid, usable visa).

If you don't have a visa, immigrations may give you a permission to stay based on a visa exempt entry, which is not the same thing as a Visa on Arrival.

The distinctions may not always be important for most people, but in some cases they do matter.

21 hours ago, elviajero said:

I am currently in Thailand on a Non-B visa 2-year extension of stay.

There is no such thing as a Non-B visa extension if you want to selectively highlight text.

Edited by Suradit69