Video: Black tourist taken off the street in Pattaya for not having his passport

webfact

Video: Black tourist taken off the street in Pattaya for not having his passport

9pm1.jpg

A video published on the Facebook site of "Rak Siam News" showed a black man being confronted by immigration police in the Jomtien area of Pattaya.

In a brief altercation an immigration official suggests that he has the power to arrest the apparent tourist because he does not have his passport with him. 

"You don't have your passport," he says. "I can take you to immigration". 

The black man - believed to be from Cameroon - suggests that his passport is elsewhere before agreeing to go with the officers. 

The immigration officer grabs his arm as he is led away.

Ruk Siam News said that three people were arrested in Soi Yen Sabai in the Phratamnak 2 area. 

One was from Cameroon, one was from Laos and another was of unspecified nationality who was rambling and drunk. 

9pm2.jpg

Local immigration chief Somprot Sirisukkha said it was a job well done. Those arrested had cooperated with his men. 

The news media said that immigration in the resort were acting on the orders of deputy PM Prawit Wongsuwan and the new head of immigration Maj-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn. 

Source: Rak Siam News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-18

• Like 1

For the next few months while operation "black eagle" is in full effect black people renewing their visas must use original docs (no copies) and have a letter from the local police station stating they are not a criminal or the application will be rejected.

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I don't have either my passport all the time and this is plainly another arbitrary rule in Thailand against tourists and foreigners in general. This rule is plainly making passport theft easier in forcing their guests to carry it all over.

They should rather hand over an easily carried paper or document, with the duration of stay. Some claim a phototocopy of the Passport is enough etc etc...but if you bump into an unfriendly officer who hates farangs and tourists (and there are a few), one could be in stew with a photocopy.

Just plain excessive bureaucracy and harassment from Thai immigration once again. And No...I would definately not approuve of having a bunch of chaps with flashy jakets or golden wings come and start fumbling in either my hotel room or any other place and who knows use the opportunity to extort a bribe or even steal something ?.....I mean how does one know what some of these chaps are capable of ?

Free Tattoo stamped on forehead on entry to Thailand  should do the trick, I believe the Germans tried this in recent history.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Three references to the guys skin color for some reason by the news report. Have you sunk this low? A brief review of the FB link has no such reporting of this style and simply refers to the guy as from Cameroon which should suffice in this day and age.

I have heard the Thai girls sometimes when watching a music video say "chocolate man looks good".  A somewhat accurate description of some people's skin color.  But it is not commonly used in the west to describe a person of African Descent

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

In my opinion, this is looking more and more like racial harassment and profiling. The foreign community here needs to start speaking out against this unequal treatment which goes against Western values that all people should be treated equally.

But this is East, Western values are just that, Western. 

One of the Western values is that while visiting foreign land, we respect their culture and ways of life. This is Thailand, not USA.

Also, stopping a black man is no more racist than stopping and detaining Lao citizen during same raid, maybe we should not see racism lurking behind every corner, black guy is obviously not Thai, good enough reason for Immigration to stop and ask passport, just like they ask  whites, Asians and Marsians.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1