Video: Black tourist taken off the street in Pattaya for not having his passport

webfact

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

The $64 dollar question is:  if he had a good clean photocopy of his passport and recent visa stamp would they have let him go?  Or if he had said clearly, my passport is in my hotel, I would be glad to take you there and present it"  would they have let him go?

No, that isnt how it works .

The Police ask you for I.D. , if you dont have it on your person , they take you to the Police station .

They dont go with you to your house to get it , you need to have it with you 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

He was obviously on a very long nature hike, unable to get to his destination.

Rambling and drunk describes a bloody big part of the Patta tourist population!!

6 hours ago, champers said:

It's Jomtien so he is bound to be Russian and a very close friend of Comrade Smirnoff, or, if times are tough, he has been imbibing deoderant or some other household product containing alcohol.

A black Russion mmmmm that was a favourite cocktail that my Gran used to drink...Vodka, coke and something I think.....now clearly he was from camaroon which, coincidently was Gran's favourite biscuit. What are the odds?

6 hours ago, johng said:

He says  his passport is in his bag at the hotel  which is "just there"...

and "no I don't walk with my passport at this time"

So why on earth they dragged him off to immigration  instead of going to the "just over there" hotel room to look in his bag ?????????

Why drag him away? Because he didn't have his passport, he did however have his wallet with him. 

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No, that isnt how it works .

The Police ask you for I.D. , if you dont have it on your person , they take you to the Police station .

They dont go with you to your house to get it , you need to have it with you 

Never in 30 years have I been asked for my passport other than at immigration. Despite numerous traffic violations (so they said) and other assorted incidental contact with Thailand's finest law enforcement officers. The officers in this case should be recognised for their astute color recognition skills!!!

2 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

Never in 30 years have I been asked for my passport other than at immigration. Despite numerous traffic violations (so they said) and other assorted incidental contact with Thailand's finest law enforcement officers. The officers in this case should be recognised for their astute color recognition skills!!!

Yes, the RTP are clamping down on Africans , due to widespread visa overstaying and drug selling , thats not a secret

Perhaps profiling can be justified based on nationality. But where does that leave black people in Thailand from Canada and the UK, for example? Do people think it's OK that people are being hassled just based on skin color? REALLY? 

And before you say you can always tell the difference. No you can't. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Perhaps profiling can be justified based on nationality. But where does that leave black people in Thailand from Canada and the UK, for example? Do people think it's OK that people are being hassled just based on skin color? REALLY?

And before you say you can always tell the difference. No you can't. 

There's a Black American guy who posts on this forum and he just tells them that hes American and they don't bother him any further 

7 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Three references to the guys skin color for some reason by the news report. Have you sunk this low? A brief review of the FB link has no such reporting of this style and simply refers to the guy as from Cameroon which should suffice in this day and age.

obviously some media have as much bias as the police.

16 hours ago, johng said:

Some months ago a top immigration officer confirmed to the media that tourists don't  need to carry their passports around 24/7   though police can ask to see it at any time...obviously  a persons passport  is not very likely to be found at the immigration office.

these days most countries require people to carry an official form of identification. Thai people have to carry their id card with then at all times (and they sometimes get fined if caught without it). In most countries it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between locals and foreigners so a lesser form of id such as a local driver's license would be ok. (not sure if it is still correct, but as far as I know, in the past, a local police officer in the us and in Australia could demand an id but couldn't demand to see a passport of another form of id was given. However federal police on both countries could demand to see a passport). in Thailand it is much easier to spot a non local which might require a proof of legally being here

17 hours ago, bluesofa said:
17 hours ago, webfact said:

another was of unspecified nationality who was rambling and drunk. 

He was obviously on a very long nature hike, unable to get to his destination.

I thought he was posting on Thaivisa ..... Just another member of our T Team   :biggrin:

9 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

these days most countries require people to carry an official form of identification. Thai people have to carry their id card with then at all times (and they sometimes get fined if caught without it). In most countries it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between locals and foreigners so a lesser form of id such as a local driver's license would be ok. (not sure if it is still correct, but as far as I know, in the past, a local police officer in the us and in Australia could demand an id but couldn't demand to see a passport of another form of id was given. However federal police on both countries could demand to see a passport). in Thailand it is much easier to spot a non local which might require a proof of legally being here

In Britain he would be classified as an I C 3 

This unbelievable incident will be remembered for years; a foreign tourist who didn't carry his passport with him. How dare he? Shattering news! I never carry my passport with me, but I always have photocopies in my car. Many many, probably 30 years ago, my passport, driving licence was stolen out of an overland bus while I was taking a coffee. I had learnt a lesson there.

I don't carry my passport I leave it in the safe where I am staying, maybe if immigration did their work properly on the borders and airports, the "dog" squads wouldn't be necessary. But a photo with their catch is worth the publicity.

I was once caught up in one of those raids .

they would not budge, or be helpful to go to hotel or anything like that.

From memory about 30-40 of us were taken to tourist police HQ.

No idea if they ran checks over the phone but about 3-4 hours later most were free to leave.

You would think they had a mobile data base and life would be so much easier

URGENT NEWS FLASH: Tourist caught not carrying his passport !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, what is going on in this country? The horror ! We need urgent new laws to target foreigners, these careless or forgetful tourists are a major threat to the security of this country. 

On average 42 Thais lose their lives every single day in car accidents. Not to mention the murders, the drugs that plague society, environmental pollution, chemicals in food, wildlife trafficking, corrupt officials , etc etc......and this is what the Dumbrse media puts out as an important news story ? GFYS

Just now, Time Traveller said:

IMPORTANT NEWS FLASH: Tourist caught not carrying his passport !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, what is going on in this country? The horror ! We need urgent new laws to target foreigners, these careless or forgetful tourists are a major threat to the security of this country. 

On average 42 Thais lose their lives every single day in car accidents. Not to mention the m????????urders, the drugs that plague society, environmental pollution, chemicals in food, wildlife trafficking, etc etc......and this is what the Dumbess media puts out as an important news story ? GFYS

Those other  issues are also being addressed .

Its the law of Thailand , as in some other Countries , all people must carry I.D. at all times  

17 hours ago, iamsano said:

three people were arrested but the headline is black tourist.. not professional at all. last week it was black criminals but they all had visas... stop being racists and provide the right news

It's not being racist as such, it's using a grabbing and interesting title to draw in viewers. That's how journalism works. It is odd that they hone in on that, but it isn't a racist act in itself as it doesn't discriminate or insult anybody because of their race. 

25 minutes ago, BestB said:

I was once caught up in one of those raids .

they would not budge, or be helpful to go to hotel or anything like that.

From memory about 30-40 of us were taken to tourist police HQ.

No idea if they ran checks over the phone but about 3-4 hours later most were free to leave.

You would think they had a mobile data base and life would be so much easier

Seems like a waste of time and resources 

Archived