Fibre comparision (AIS, TRUE, 3BB

thainet

From people that are using fibre only internet (including possibly TV), I would like some feedback on there the above 3 providers.

I will be looking at a new installation, so interested in reliability, speed promised and probably more importantly speed of technical help (and the call center). I see that for about 700-990 baht you can get between 100/30 to 150/50.

Thanks in advance for helpful answers.

Forgot to say I'd be installing near Satit school area, but all replies on any pattaya area are very welcome. Thanks again.

I have 3bb 100/30 @ 631bht/month (promo for existing customers).
Works well, movie downloads as fast as 12mbs. Can't pick any fault with the service.

Yes, I’m on the same package as this, or it’s ฿749 for non promo (100/30). Very good, and very rarely any issues...

TOT Fiber to Business, not their Fiber to Home plan. I tested both. Download speed is wonderful on both. Upload speed it non-existent on home plan. I am getting 20mbps and 10mbps to USA on the cheapest Fiber to Business plan with fixed IP. I pay about 2500 baht a month. Rock solid. Never goes down. Does not slow down. P2P is no problem. Frankly, better Internet than California. 

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Works well, movie downloads as fast as 12mbs. Can't pick any fault with the service.

Ooooh er. I have just upgraded to 100/30 fibre and am paying 749 a months. Been with them for three years. But it works a dream and no real problems.

I had AIS, which was pretty perfect, then moved and wasn't covered and now got 3BB which cuts out all the time. Both are/were 200+Mbit to BKK, to outside Thailand it's a crapshoot. If you can get AIS, recommended, it also came with an android TV box which worked well, 3BB doesn't have one, just streaming to a browser.

I'm around the Talman/Nongkabork area too so should be relevant.

Not sure where "Satit" school is (google maps gives me a couple of options - none of which say "Satit") but if you are on the "Darkside" you may have problems getting Fibre.

I tried a couple weeks ago with TRUE as I already use them and they were running a promotion.

As soon as they found out that I lived on Soi Khao Noi it was a no go. They weren't even interested in talking to me after that.

I had 3BB over here quite awhile ago but dumped them for their poor connection and poorer service. I went for their highest speed package and from the time they installed it until I finally gave up on it, it would disconnect anywhere from 5-12 times per HOUR.

Wait 2-3 minutes for the modem to reboot, open the internet and within a couple minutes it would d/c again.

Even 3BB noticed the problem on their end and replaced the modem but that solved nothing so they just gave up on it (literally). I told them that due to the way it was happening, it was most likely that when they ran the new co-ax cable to the house they made a bad connection somewhere and whenever the line swayed in the wind, the connection would get disrupted.

(I was talking to the tech that replaced the modem and was pointing at the lines and trying to explain that it might be a faulty connection somewhere between my house and the main road. He probably was thinking more about what he was going to have for lunch. They didn't bother trying to do anything else after replacing the modem.)

I guess they decided it wasn't their problem anymore.

Just like I decided I wouldn't do business with them anymore.

12 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

// but if you are on the "Darkside" you may have problems getting Fibre.

You could have the same problem in many condos, mainly if they are not very recent.

In worse case you should be able to get VDSL that works rather well in Pattaya.

I am on the 3BB VDSL 50/10 :

7731635683.png

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I’ve been with 3BB for over 10 years now, original plan was 2mb then every now and then they would upgrade me.

I always paid the same monthly rate 631baht incl tax.

I never saw the promo for 100mb @ 631baht / month.

1.    2mb

2.    4mb

3.    6mb

4.    10mb

5.    50mb

6.       100mb

14 hours ago, thainet said:

Everyone thank you for your contributions...very helpful.

Although nothing about TRUE--so hopefully some info on that later.

Thanks again.

Crap which cuts out on daily basis.  Not long but few mins . 

At at least one a month some kind of problem and no internet for half a day.

evening slows down to almost nothing .

thats about True.

AIS so far so good. Over 3 years and it works, has slow moments but never slow enough to affect internet tv

nolonger bother with cabled connections. Signed up for line mobile unlimited. Hotspot for round the house and run netflix and youtube, etc all day long, the kids use it and run playstations from it. 802b per month. Will go up when the 12month period ends but still beats paying for home and phone or i should say phoneS.

Speeds fine. Never any lag. Will never use ais again. Dam criminals!

1 hour ago, unamazedloso said:

nolonger bother with cabled connections. Signed up for line mobile unlimited. Hotspot for round the house and run netflix and youtube, etc all day long, the kids use it and run playstations from it. 802b per month. Will go up when the 12month period ends but still beats paying for home and phone or i should say phoneS.

Can you please give me more information re line mobile unlimited and Hotspot. How do I go about getting this ?

19 hours ago, thainet said:

Although nothing about TRUE--so hopefully some info on that later.

I had true cable modem for a while, worked for the first couple of weeks and then went to crap, cutting out, erratic speeds, etc. Their 4G seems erratic here too so I think it's the backhaul to BKK that's the culprit, not the last mile so fiber won't help much. Won't touch them again.

8 hours ago, notamember said:
On 10/19/2018 at 2:54 PM, notamember said:
DATE / TIME   PING
ms
 DOWNLOAD
Mbps
 UPLOAD
Mbps
DISTANCE
mi
LOCATION / SERVER PROVIDER  
10/19/2018 
2:52 PM
~ 800
Singapore
Singtel
AIS

995 a month including Playbox basic ( a lot like cable channels) only real plus is HBO

Singapore gives the best international speed results. There's always a severe limitation to international servers. Here's what my 300/300 Mbps service got to the same server a few minutes ago:

Speedtest1.jpg.be2d99737b8a57d74a2eb918e62dc515.jpg

Tests to Europe are dismal by comparison.

I won't post a screenshot, but to London Vodafone: 52/6

LA (AT&T): 50/17

NY (AT&T): 30/15

There's a bit of variation depending on what servers you test to.

I don't get much over 6 Mbps upload to London even with a very fast package. I've tested (CAT Fiber) 100/50, 100/100, 200/200, 300/300 and I get about the same speeds to all international servers except the close ones such as HK and Singapore. I was going to pay for a 500/500 package, but it's a waste of money for international servers as it makes no difference. I dropped to a slower package to save money. There's definitely a cap on speeds to international servers, irrespective of what package you're running.

The moral of the story, once you're up to 100 Mbps, and you spend most of your time on international servers, you're doing as good as you can and there's no point paying for more speed. CAT owns the international gateway infrastructure, so what I get is as good as any of the others will get. CAT is now quite competitive with the others for price but with much better customer service. i.e. very Farang-friendly.

12 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Would you mind elaborating on the 'line mobile'.

What is it exactly (wifi, 4G?), who is behind it and how to sign up or find out more.

Thank you

12 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

802b per month. Will go up when the 12month period ends but still beats paying for home and phone or i should say phoneS.

I doesn't just go up, it doubles in price I recall.

So that makes it 1600 Baht.

My 3BB 100/30 fibre 590 Baht.

My True 4G mobile 300 minutes free to all networks and 20Gb of data 349 Baht ( prices ex VAT )

On 10/19/2018 at 2:16 AM, Ebumbu said:

TOT Fiber to Business, not their Fiber to Home plan. I tested both. Download speed is wonderful on both. Upload speed it non-existent on home plan. I am getting 20mbps and 10mbps to USA on the cheapest Fiber to Business plan with fixed IP. I pay about 2500 baht a month. Rock solid. Never goes down. Does not slow down. P2P is no problem. Frankly, better Internet than California. 

That is usually the case with fiber in general.  You will get that in the US with fiber as well.  

On 10/19/2018 at 4:17 PM, wgdanson said:

Ooooh er. I have just upgraded to 100/30 fibre and am paying 749 a months. Been with them for three years. But it works a dream and no real problems.

I have the same package at the same price, came to our area about 6 months ago and I signed up immediately. I am out in the sticks and the ADSL was absolute rubbish. It is quite good but not constant, I test regularly and get download speed between 30 and 120, when it is good it is very good and when it is bad it is still a lot better than I had before.

Only had a couple of physical problems, first when someone broke the cable on the road and then just the other week a transformer supplying the distribution box went down, had to wait on the LEA to fix that.

On 10/19/2018 at 12:41 PM, BritManToo said:

I also have this package in a very rural location. Has never cut off, and in fact my download speeds sometimes hit 40Mbps.

Also, the guys that came to fit the cable and router into the house were fantastic, I offered them a few hundred baht seeing as the installation was free and they point blank refused to accept it!

12 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

I also have this package in a very rural location. Has never cut off, and in fact my download speeds sometimes hit 40Mbps.

I'm too lazy to type 12MBps (which would be 96Mbps).

The clue would have been in the small 'm'.

Most people understand without me having to be excessively pedantic.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm too lazy to type 12MBps (which would be 96Mbps).

The clue would have been in the small 'm'.

Most people understand without me having to be excessively pedantic.

That's a great explanation only, mbs has nothing to do with data transfer, and 12 mbps is not 96 Mbps either.

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

That's a great explanation only, mbs has nothing to do with data transfer, and 12 mbps is not 96 Mbps either.

(1) When spelled Mbps, short for megabits per second, a measure of data transfer speed (a megabit is equal to one million bits). Network transmissions, for example, are generally measured in Mbps. (2) When spelled MBps, short for megabytes per second.

The abbreviation bps is often used to mean bit/s, so that when a 1 Mbps connection is advertised, it usually means that the maximum achievable bandwidth is 1 Mbit/s (one million bits per second), which is 0.125 MB/s (megabyte per second), or about 0.1192 MiB/s (mebibyte per second).

Does that help you sir?

25 minutes ago, rhodie said:

(1) When spelled Mbps, short for megabits per second, a measure of data transfer speed (a megabit is equal to one million bits). Network transmissions, for example, are generally measured in Mbps. (2) When spelled MBps, short for megabytes per second.

The abbreviation bps is often used to mean bit/s, so that when a 1 Mbps connection is advertised, it usually means that the maximum achievable bandwidth is 1 Mbit/s (one million bits per second), which is 0.125 MB/s (megabyte per second), or about 0.1192 MiB/s (mebibyte per second).

Does that help you sir?

No it doesn't help me at all, maybe try to read my post again.

But as you seem to be the expert probably, or most probably not, you can tell us all where mbs comes into the picture when we are talking about data transfer,

At the same time you can also educate us all how many Mbps translates to 12 mbps.

No need for more copy and paste from websites.

Archived