How difficult to change from non o marriage visa to a non b work visa

In theory, one can change Non-Imm "based on" extensions without leaving the country - but many report their local offices are unwilling to do this, forcing them out for a new Visa from a consulate to start-over.

As well, one can obtain a work-permit while on a "based on marriage" annual-extension or Visa (example: 1-year Non-O Multiple-Entry Visa), which stays valid when one's job ends - but many report their employers are unwilling to cooperate with this arrangement.  Some have reported being able to get it done by taking a larger role in the work-permit application process.

As to changing back to marriage, if your local-office will not help doing this directly, a foreigner married to a Thai can easily get a Non-O Visa based on this from a consulate in Laos and some other nearby countries.  To apply in Laos, one needs their original marriage-cert to show, and signed (by wife) copies of her ID and Tabien Bahn (does not need to be her current address).  With an entry from that visa, one can then apply for an annual extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stevymac said:

What’s the process to do this and if i lost my job how easy is it to go back to marriage visa?

If you are on extension of stay based upon working issued by immigration you could change the reason for the extension based upon marriage to Thai when your current extension is canceled. You would have to show 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

About the same if you are on a 90 day entry from a non-b visa. You could apply for a one year extension based upon marriage.

You need to provide immigration with a copy of your termination letter to cancel the current extension of stay. Once cancelled you shouldn’t have a problem switching to an extension based on marriage; as long as you meet the financial etc. requirements.

Some offices might insist you exit the country and apply for a non ‘O’ visa.

It’s in your best interest to maintain an extension based on marriage because you can still work (with a WP), and your stay is unaffected (like now) should your work end.

• Like 1

Why not stand firm on the idea that you can get a WP while you have a Non O visa or an extension of stay based on being married.

The requirement for a WP is a Non Imm' visa or extension and I don't care who tells you different, employer Imm' or your best mate.

I've had WP's for years on Non Imm' O multi entry visas.

38 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The requirement for a WP is a Non Imm' visa or extension and I don't care who tells you different, employer Imm' or your best mate.

That's not correct. The category of non-immigrant visa, and/or reason the extension of stay was given, is relevant to the WP application based on the applicants circumstances/job.

13 minutes ago, elviajero said:

That's not correct. The category of non-immigrant visa, and/or reason the extension of stay was given, is relevant to the WP application based on the applicants circumstances/job.

After many years working on Non Imm' O multi entry visas I've never had a problem.

10 minutes ago, overherebc said:
24 minutes ago, elviajero said:

After many years working on Non Imm' O multi entry visas I've never had a problem.

Because, presumably, you are married. If you weren't you wouldn't/shouldn't get the WP unless you have a category 'B' visa, or the job you are doing only requires a 'O' visa (e.g. volunteering).

Edited by elviajero

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Yes, provided it is not a type that includes "employment prohibited" - such as retirement-based or ED. 

But, someone reported their labor-office allowed them to get a work permit on retirement - another reported the local imm guys ordered a "married to a Thai" with a valid work-permit to change to Non-B - so it's the usual morass of exceptions to actual-rules and/or extra non-rules to contend with.

30 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Because, presumably, you are married. If you weren't you wouldn't/shouldn't get the WP unless you have a category 'B' visa, or the job you are doing only requires a 'O' visa (e.g. volunteering).

Go back and read the OP.

He says is married, probably on an extension of stay, as there is no such thing as a married visa. It's either an extension of stay based on being married or a multi entry O based on being married. In either case you can get a WP on it. Doesn't matter what Imm' or the employer says. Or mates in the bar or your Thai wife.

15 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Go back and read the OP.

He says is married, probably on an extension of stay, as there is no such thing as a married visa. It's either an extension of stay based on being married or a multi entry O based on being married. In either case you can get a WP on it. Doesn't matter what Imm' or the employer says. Or mates in the bar or your Thai wife.

Go back and read the post you made that I am correcting and commenting on. You made a factually wrong statement, that could/will misinform other members.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

The requirement for a WP is a Non Imm' visa or extension ...

A visa issued on the basis of being married is rightly referred to by non pedants/immigration/agents/consular services/etc. as a 'married visa', or similar. You're not going to change that fact.

Edited by elviajero

54 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Go back and read the post you made that I am correcting and commenting on. You made a factually wrong statement, that could/will misinform other members.

A visa issued on the basis of being married is rightly referred to by non pedants/immigration/agents/consular services/etc. as a 'married visa', or similar. You're not going to change that fact.

As I posted once before you can call a turkey or a goose a big chicken but it's still a turkey or a goose.

Edited by overherebc

32 minutes ago, overherebc said:
1 hour ago, elviajero said:

As I posted once before you can call a turkey or a goose a big chicken but it's still a turkey or a goose.

And people should be able to shorten -- 'visa issued on the basis of being married to a Thai national' -- to a 'Married Visa' without the need to be unnecessarily schooled. 

11 hours ago, elviajero said:

And people should be able to shorten -- 'visa issued on the basis of being married to a Thai national' -- to a 'Married Visa' without the need to be unnecessarily schooled. 

Then everyone can make a guess on whether it's a single entry visa, a multi entry visa or an extension of stay and guess an answer. Chicken or big chicken. ????????????????

1 hour ago, SoilSpoil said:

Maybe the OP could explain why he wants to change from O to B, as you can get a work permit on a Non O (extension). I had it done.

It's generally because the employer and or Imm' always say 'must be B visa.' 

It is the Labour office who decide.

Like you I have had several WP's all issued while I held Non O multi entry visas/extensions of stay based on being married.

Rayong and Chonburi being two labour offices that have no problems with it.

1 hour ago, BigFun said:

There are non O 'dependent' visas and non O based on marriage to a Thai national. It's only the latter which can apply for a WP unless I'm mistaken. Just to clarify the point.

You're mistaken, and there is no "non O 'dependent'" visa.

If you have a non 'O' visa, and are the parent or spouse of a Thai, the labour office should/can issue a WP without insisting that you change to a category 'B'.

8 hours ago, overherebc said:
19 hours ago, elviajero said:

Then everyone can make a guess on whether it's a single entry visa, a multi entry visa or an extension of stay and guess an answer. Chicken or big chicken. ????????????????

No need to guess. You simple ask for clarification.

Your chickens goose is about to be cooked;

Person A: "I have a married visa".

Person B: "I have a visa based on being married to a Thai".

Now tell me whether Persons A and B have ME or SE visas, OR are asking about an extension of stay?

8 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No need to guess. You simple ask for clarification.

Your chickens goose is about to be cooked;

Person A: "I have a married visa".

Person B: "I have a visa based on being married to a Thai".

Now tell me whether Persons A and B have ME or SE visas, OR are asking about an extension of stay?

Repeating my question then???

Your post proves my point.

eg I have a married visa and do 90 day reports = extension.

I have a married visa and have to leave and return every 90 days = ME visa.

Edited by overherebc

25 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Repeating my question then???

Your post proves my point.

eg I have a married visa and do 90 day reports = extension.

I have a married visa and have to leave and return every 90 days = ME visa.

No.

No it doesn't, it proves that even if Person B uses the correct terminology you don't know whether or not the have a SE or ME visa!