Almost refused entry at Suvarnabhumi.

I’m not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in, please Mods feel free to move.

Last week I came for a holiday to visit the in laws in rural Isaan with the wife.  I got a visa on arrival but as was at the checkpoint the IO stopped me saying the computer had flagged me.  (Apparently the reason doesn’t show up immediately).  He appeared very excited and pleased with himself, and made quite a show of closing the aisle I was in and telling the queue behind me that it was closed.

After waiting very nervously for about ten mins, the IO and his superior, came and told my wife (who was through already waiting anxiously) that I was flagged for unpaid personal income tax.  He gave us a number to contact to clear the monies and let me in, warning me that if not cleared, they would not let me out.  I shudder to think what would have happened if my wife wasn’t with me to translate and mediate.

Once I was out from the airport, the relief quickly turned to anger.  The last company I worked for, HR department used to deduct tax every month from my salary, and they were supposed to cancel work permit and file tax returns etc.

We called the Surat tax office (was working in Samui) and it turns out I owe roughly 5000 baht including penalties for the tax year 2015.  I then enquired what about 2016 (i worked only from January until July - in August we moved for good to Australia) and they said they have no record of me working.  

On my payslips I added the total amount of tax withheld for 2016 and it’s 64000฿.  When I did my calculations, I should get 40000฿ tax refund (when they calculated tax withheld they averaged it on a full year’s salary).  

In a way I suppose I’m to blame for not making sure this was taken care of before we left, but I was too busy sorting out our visas etc for Australia and previously HR had always managed things like this for me and the other ‘farang’ - both executive positions.  It had simply flown out of my head (until I got a rude reminder at Suvarnabhumi!)

2 questions -

1. if there’s no tax return filed for 2016, does this mean the employer kept the money deducted q?
  2. What do you think is a best course of action?

I’m going to the Korat tax office tomorrow and I’m inclined to just pay the 5000฿, get them to cancel the flag on my passport and keep my mouth shut about the 2016 year. Opening a can of worms and all that... (The company I worked for is owned by Thai people, and they’re well connected on Samui, don’t want them to cause me any grief - I’m going back home in Thursday)

Then again, I don’t want them to get away with it, and it’s not exactly chump change.

You are responsible to file your tax, as you left they probably didn't bother to spend time on it. You have pay slips for the next year, that is a good thing. You were late with declaring tax over that year, that is not a good thing. Don't know the penalty for late tax declaration and how long you can request tax being paid back. You can check this with the tax office though. Don't think the penalty will be near as high then the amount you should get back.

2 hours ago, Jinjo14 said:

I’m going to the Korat tax office tomorrow and I’m inclined to just pay the 5000฿, get them to cancel the flag on my passport and keep my mouth shut about the 2016 year.

Seems like the most pragmatic approach.

You need a good accountant if you want to sort out your tax affairs.

6 hours ago, Jinjo14 said:

if there’s no tax return filed for 2016, does this mean the employer kept the money deducted q?

Probably not, the Employer have to fill in a form and send the WHT tax to the Revenue Department within the 15th of every month.

The tax return is to balance the tax you have earned over the year, and sometimes you get back, sometimes you have to top up.

Maybe you can get 40k back if you do the right thing and file the PND91 for 2016.

1 hour ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Not sure how this relates to "Almost refused entry at Suvarnaphum". Surely if the IO had refused you entry, the tax you owe could not have been collected voluntarily, since you would not have entered Thailand? I see nothing in your OP that says you were threatened with refusal.

You weren’t in my shoes.  The immigration officers’ attitude wasn’t exactly welcoming.

I downplayed the events to avoid writing too much but if it wasn’t my wife a visit to the idc would’ve been likely 

10 minutes ago, Jinjo14 said:

You weren’t in my shoes.  The immigration officers’ attitude wasn’t exactly welcoming.

I downplayed the events to avoid writing too much but if it wasn’t my wife a visit to the idc would’ve been likely 

It could not have being pleasant to say the least, In what should have being a the happy occasion of your return. I understand you being upset .As you said, it was part your fault for not checking, but I can see how any of us could have not checked also. 

You have a limited time on your vacation here, in which I am sure you are investing more than 5,000 bht.

Pay the 5,000 bht, chalk it up to experience, and enjoy the rest of your visit. Life is too short. lose some fights to win the war.

Welcome back

Pay the B 5'000 and enjoy life. Someone had a take on you; not worth the stress and excitement. Alternatively file a police report and walk into your former employer's office. Will keep you busy during your holidays but might be comforting for your soul. Your call, mate! 

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

It could not have being pleasant to say the least, In what should have being a the happy occasion of your return. I understand you being upset .As you said, it was part your fault for not checking, but I can see how any of us could have not checked also. 

You have a limited time on your vacation here, in which I am sure you are investing more than 5,000 bht.

Pay the 5,000 bht, chalk it up to experience, and enjoy the rest of your visit. Life is too short. lose some fights to win the war.

Welcome back

Thanks and I will do. 

I love thailand and I’ve lived here for 4 years straight already before emigrating to Australia.  I wish to retire In the small moo bahn which made me welcome in the first place and whose people have made me feel welcome from day one.  Not just my wife’s family, but neighbours and friends also.

im only 35 btw, I plan on working hard and making my money in Australia and when I’m fifty I retire with a home in both countries (neither my native land). Spend half time there half there.

Episodes like this tho bring home the draconian feel Thailand can have sometimes making me a bit unsure of ever feeling ‘welcome’ even tho I’ve been married to a Thai for six years and counting ...

27 minutes ago, Jinjo14 said:

Thanks and I will do. 

I love thailand and I’ve lived here for 4 years straight already before emigrating to Australia.  I wish to retire In the small moo bahn which made me welcome in the first place and whose people have made me feel welcome from day one.  Not just my wife’s family, but neighbours and friends also.

im only 35 btw, I plan on working hard and making my money in Australia and when I’m fifty I retire with a home in both countries (neither my native land). Spend half time there half there.

Episodes like this tho bring home the draconian feel Thailand can have sometimes making me a bit unsure of ever feeling ‘welcome’ even tho I’ve been married to a Thai for six years and counting ...

Excellent attitude and life plan, but dont let the litle things bother you.

All's well that ends well, in this case well enough. I know things like this can leave a bitter taste in your mouth, but things like these will always happen , all part of Thailand. like everything else in life , with all the good there will be some bad.

I did pretty much the same as you. Was in Thailand, then went back to the US, put in my time in, pay my dues, save money, build a pension , and when the time comes do it right. Like you, have being coming to Thailand every year with the wife. Little by litle we bought property then we build a house there,

Don't own a penny to anyone. No questions from me like "can I live in Thailand for 3,000 bht/month", or"embassy icome letters" IMO that's from people that put the cart before to horse.

Will be retiring next spring, coming to Thailand with eyes wide open, no unrealistic expectations, and enjoying the rest of what I hope to be a long life..

You are young, and sounds like you have great attitude. and a good plan.

Chok Dee Krap

7 minutes ago, Jinjo14 said:

According to their records you owe tax, what's draconian about wanting to collect!

Would you expect any country to welcome -- according to their records -- someone owing tax?

I have to ask the OP why he is mad at Thailand, it was his employer who screwed him and his responsibility to make sure it was all paid and clear. He is mad because the IO did his job and noticed the red flag.

Thailand didn't do a thing to the OP but as with many it is Thailands fault. Enjoy your holiday and move on.

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

According to their records you owe tax, what's draconian about wanting to collect!

Would you expect any country to welcome -- according to their records -- someone owing tax?

I don't think the OP is unreasonable, He acknowledges it was partly his fault for not checking that his employee paid the tax but he is understandable apset of the way it was handled.

Imagine yourself coming back to Thailand for the first time since he left, excited over the prospect of his visit, only to be embarrassed on the immigration line over $150, won't you be upset also? 

IMO it could had being handled better by the authorities.they could had taken him aside , explained the situation privately , he could had explained as he did, issue amicably over.

6 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Not sure how this relates to "Almost refused entry at Suvarnaphum". Surely if the IO had refused you entry, the tax you owe could not have been collected voluntarily, since you would not have entered Thailand? I see nothing in your OP that says you were threatened with refusal.

correct... however he was threatened with being unable to depart if problem is not resolved 

13 hours ago, elviajero said:

No but the manner how they chose to go about it ... and the fact that even the IO had no idea what the flag was about for the first ten mins, made me feel as if I’m a wanted criminal.  

For all those saying that I’m thailand bashing I’m not.

they do have draconian rules and regulations though even for people who are married and support Thai nationals.

my home country for example after 3 moths of marriage, gave my wife permanent residency

Archived