Thousands of Thai women are "victims" helping foreigners in "marriages of convenience"

Jonathan Fairfield

26 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

YES they are victims, because the article translates and translates badly only a small part. These mafia brookers are Thais who are prospecting in the villages to find the most financially embarrassed women, they tell them you come with your identity card, the registration of your house and we will help you. These sometimes desperate women receive 3000฿ and these brokers earn tens of thousands of ฿, these women are no way at the origin of this idea, receive a misery but for many posters they are not victims. OKAY! Many of you have the same empathy for poor people as a snake for a mouse it is ready to eat.

This might be very true... I mean why not given that this kind of things happens in many countries. But for the article to make it sound as if it was the 'husband' that is at fault is misleading and flat out erroneous. For it is the 'brokers' (mafia or whomever) that are the route of the issue... along with the greed of everyone (financial or Visa wise).

But to say that the women are unwitting pawns in all of this is... nonsense! They know and as is usual do not see the common sense or past their own desire to make a fast baht. So no... they are not victims they are willing participants (if ever so slightly blind) in a bigger scam.

"Play with a bull you will get the horns" An old saying... but still true. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like the situation that is happening in China right now, where the media and government are trying to paint Westerners as villains or 'bad' people, is happening in the Thai media. The media can control and manipulate the general notion, feelings and actions of the public, simply but what news stories are published and given the spotlight to. This has been a tactic for decades, and it seems recently this is the case here too. I wonder why.. 

5 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Have you ever visited India or Pakistan ? 

If you had- I would be surprised at your comment , Thailand is like paradise compared to those two cesspit countries.

Sorry but I would not class India as a cesspit country have you travelled through India I doubt it if you come to that conclusion . I have and there are some wonderful places as well as many wonderful people who make you very welcome.

Just now, Easy Come Easy Go said:

It seems like the situation that is happening in China right now, where the media and government are trying to paint Westerners as villains or 'bad' people, is happening here too. The government and media and control and manipulate the general notion, feelings and actions of the public, simply but what news stories are published and given the spotlight on. This has been a tactic for decades, and it seems recently this is the case here too. I wonder why.. 

Oh the Chinese men are not included in any of this. China is our friend. China is all wonderful .... at least to this government. The fact that they are playing the Long Game and quietly taking over is beside the point. 

2 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Sorry but I would not class India as a cesspit country have you travelled through India I doubt it if you come to that conclusion . I have and there are some wonderful places as well as many wonderful people who make you very welcome.

Absolutely and their upper and middle classes would leave this little lot scrabbling in the dust.

Heck the average Burmese would intellectually leave this little lot in no-where'ville..

3 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

Thailand GDP per capita 6,600 USD

India      GDP per capita 1,900  USD

Of course many want to move to a country nearly 4 times as wealthy and with corresponding wages.

Don't confuse overall statistics with group statistics, and don't confuse GDP with average income. 

Poor Issan farmer girls probably have lower incomes than rich Indians from Bollywood. 

6,600 USD sounds quite good if that's what you can spend every year. But even in comparatively rich Germany a substantial portion of the population has less. 

31 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Have you ever visited India or Pakistan ? 

If you had- I would be surprised at your comment , Thailand is like paradise compared to those two cesspit countries.

I have. From Bollywood to the ghats of Calcutta, in 1969. It really depends on which part of the country you go.

Something's not adding up. Married for years to someone you've never met??? Don't both parties have to be present to sign documents when the marriage certificate is issued at the amphoe office? Doesn't immigration in most cases require both spouses to come to immigration when the marriage visa is first issued and renewed? Aren't police interviews with both spouses sometimes required for the initial marriage visa application? What about requirements about submitting interior and exterior photos of where the married couple lives? How can people get past all of these requirements unless there's money being handed under the table?

20 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

But elsewhere the problem was rife - there are 600 cases under investigation in Nong Bualamphu province

The Nong Bualamphu investigation began in Oct 2014, so that's 4 years they've had to come up with something there.

30 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

These woman knew exactly what they were doing and they were part of the scam so it’s a little cheeky to be complaining

Taken into account how many poor Thai women are promised a rose garden by some Farangs who are actually bums in their home country I find it hard to blame Thai women for anything.

How about the 10’s of thousands of foreigners who marry only to be taken by the Thai spouse? Oh, forgot about that.....

Can’t wait for the follow up story that covers that angle....

BTW, I’ve had a wonderful marriage to a Thai woman for 17+ yrs. have many friends with long time happy marriages. I also know many who were robbed by their Thai spouse.

20 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Gee don't tell all of my Indian friends as they think Thailand is a paradise compared to India. 

if they get homesick and miss ole river ganges tell them to swim at pattaya beach can get their washing done at the same time.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

If they know which amphur was used and if they know their 'husbands' name and if they have any paperwork to prove that they are married in the first place.

And the final big if. If they are prepared to confess that the marriage was fraudulent to start with.

Not quite as easy as you suggest I would think.

Mate don't know what your talking about you both have to be present. No one can take your ID card and just get you married to some unknown foreigner. It also has to be registered at the amphur where they are from. It's only the final big if that is causing the drama and that's the problem. They knew what they were doing was wrong, got screwed over and now want to have a whinge? Boo <deleted> hoo. 

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

This will be the next group to draw the attention of Big Joke,

which is a good thing,as long as genuine marriages don't get  

caught up in it.

regards worgeordie

Well, oh wise one. Please tell us all what a "genuine marriage" is exactly?

Legally, if the marriage is registered, then it's a "genuine" marriage. Doesn't matter what anyone thinks, it's legit. That's how the law works. 

My guess is Thailand will go ahead and try to redefine the meaning of words (Remember that stupidity of the Thai Work Permit laws trying to explain what the definition of "work" is : Work is doing work !!!).

The consequence will be if you have a Thai partner, expect to be under intense scrutiny by immigration. 

21 hours ago, heybuz said:

Victims?

Victims as in tricked into thinking they could get married and divorced without consequences.

Nevertheless it does not excuse them from being "willing accomplices" in the sense that they were doing something deceitful for money.

I've never met these "victims" so I couldn't judge whether they were down and out on their luck or just greedy but the real problem is the scammers who take advantage of the weakness of human nature and not these women who are akin to drug mules, so to deride them alone might be misdirected.

Poverty drives Thailand's sex trade and then some....

Amazing story  Thai  women been scammed?  Well i been coming and going to Thailand for over 30 years  and I know who has been  scammed  big time over that time.Poor  dumb and  many not so dumb farangs loosing  everything  getting involved with these girls.

Sure I will get my head   chopped off but men replying how they  found the perfect wife.  I can assure  anybody who   reads this article those people are the minority.

Just one story to tell  my friend a successful business man  has lost close to  $1million Australian Dollars over 10 years and now he is almost broke his wife tells him  she  wants to go back to Thailand. Reason her daughter for first marriage cannot get residency so she is going back.

Over the 10 Years  she built  big house in Issan   has land  so bye bye  sucker. 

I could  write   hundred  such stories.

4 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

Thailand GDP per capita 6,600 USD

India      GDP per capita 1,900  USD

Of course many want to move to a country nearly 4 times as wealthy and with corresponding wages.

And much cleaner with better services. 

For every Thai woman who has been scammed by a foreigner there must be a couple thousand who have done the scamming. So many foreign men have sold their homes back in their own countries and transferred the money to Thailand to build a house for their lovely Thai wife, along with a new car, only to get booted out when the Thai hubby comes slinking in through the backdoor. But that's OK. Tell these stories to Thais and they break out into huge smiles and laugh and can't wait to tell everyone around. But tell them stories about foreigners pulling fast ones on Thais and watch their expressions sour.

Oh, stop playing the 'me too/victim' card now that the fraudulent arrangement which you WILLINGLY went into isn't working out. You want to take short cuts to earn some money, and then complain about the retributions/consequences when they don't work out in your favour?

Archived