Thousands of Thai women are "victims" helping foreigners in "marriages of convenience"

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If they know which amphur was used and if they know their 'husbands' name and if they have any paperwork to prove that they are married in the first place.

And the final big if. If they are prepared to confess that the marriage was fraudulent to start with.

Not quite as easy as you suggest I would think.

They also have to have the husband there to sign the divorce papers!  And they would not have to confess that the marriage was 'fraudulent', which it wasn't, it was a real marriage but a marriage of convenience, that is not fraudulent or illegal.

2 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

These women are not victims. They knew exactly what they were doing. Immigration is making look like victims so they don't have to prosecute them for Visa fraud. Truth is they accepted money for a sham marriage the knew about  They knew it was not a legitimate marriage but then did it anyway for MONEY. No matter how you twist it, its  called VISA FRAUD 

Did the women have anything to do with the visa applications? If they didn`t then all they did was get married and there are no rules or regulations for that except that the two parties have to be eligible to get married!

24 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

They got married, what is fraudulent about that?  Are there rules about who someone can marry?

I certainly do believe marrying a stranger who requires a visa in return for payment is fraudulent. 

There is an attempt to deceive immigration authorities. 

Those now suffering because of their deceitful behaviour have no one to blame but themselves. 

2 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...this 'warped reality'.....is really getting out of hand.......

...gotta repeat....

...this 'warped reality'....... is really getting out of hand.......

...bloody .....bloody.....nuts......

.....to pretend that ..........oh...what's the point.....

....those that have been bilked out of their life savings know the truth....

...this is utterly insane.....

...ripped off every which way....at every turn...with no recourse....

...but 'they' are the real victims.....???

...jeez....

What?  Geez...

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Its "mia noi" or little wife/girlfriend, the main wife then becomes "Mia luang" (The boss basically ????)

Apparently, in years gone by, men would take many "mia noi" (for sex) with permission from Mia Luang and long as she remained Mia Luang and the home or her position was not threatened by them. (Just a tit bit of info ????)

Knew I was born too late !

Exactly as you say, in years gone by, like 40 or 50 years ago. Try it nowadays and see what happens to your mid to lower body parts !

Australian Immigration make it very difficult to marry a foreigner in order to jump the legal immigration queue.

However there is a percentage that manage to sneak in.

They can get caught out when Centrelink discovers anomalies in their welfare payments such as different addresses and finding the newly married couple have never lived together. Since the marriage.

On 10/20/2018 at 5:29 AM, Russell17au said:

If the woman divorced after 12 months then what benefits would she receive unless it is benefits from her ex-husband in a divorce settlement.

Why are the police not going after the agents and charging them with corruption

You tink too Mutt!!   You no unnerstaaan thai pee pole!!!  You just falang!

On 10/20/2018 at 4:29 PM, Russell17au said:

charging them with corruption

arranging a marriage between willing partners does not involve corruption.
helping the married people afterwards to give the right answers to certain questions borders on aiding and abetting, but does not necessarily involve corruption.

However, if there are so many cases, I understand that the Immigration people come to visit the house and talk with people down the street to verify whether the marriage is one of convenience, or of fighting ???? , real and consummated.

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I certainly do believe marrying a stranger who requires a visa in return for payment is fraudulent. 

There is an attempt to deceive immigration authorities. 

Those now suffering because of their deceitful behaviour have no one to blame but themselves. 

There is no evidence in the OP that the women were involved in any fraudulent activity, all that was reported is that they were married in return for a payment.  That is not illegal, neither is it fraudulent. 

There are no rules for marriage, you can marry whoever you want and you do not have to give a reason for the marriage neither do you have to prove that a relationship exists.  I could marry the first willing woman I see tomorrow if I wanted to, even if I`ve no idea who she is and we both get into separate taxis and go in oposite directions after signing, no one will ask me why we were doing it!

Just now, Just Weird said:

There is no evidence in the OP that the women were involved in any fraudulent activity, all that was reported is that they were married in return for a payment.  That is not illegal, neither is it fraudulent. 

There are no rules for marriage, you can marry whoever you want and you do not have to give a reason for the marriage neither do you have to prove that a relationship exists.  I could marry the first willing woman I see tomorrow if I wanted to, even if I`ve no idea who she is and we both get into separate taxis and go in oposite directions after signing, no one will ask me why we were doing it!

Immigration authorities may well disagree with everything you say there. 

34 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

It is in the USA if the purpose is immigration.  Don't know about Thailand.

Well, this is Thailand and that may be the case here also but if the women are not in on the arrangements for immigration all they have done is get married and there are no rules about that.

5 minutes ago, taxin said:

Exactly as you say, in years gone by, like 40 or 50 years ago. Try it nowadays and see what happens to your mid to lower body parts !

depending on the center of priority in life, these could include getting your head bashed in.
In neither case a pleasant or desirable event ????

On 10/20/2018 at 11:11 AM, colinneil said:

Victims? my a++e they fraudulently married farangs for money.

Foreigners who take money from Thai's are considered as scammers - Thai's who take money from Foreigners are considered as victims meaning Thailand is a Nation containing victims only - Ohh lord, Mai Jing....

3 hours ago, cookieqw said:

same thing in the UK

It has been over 8 years since I have been back to the UK. But seriously, are there lots of men from the Indian sub-continent getting married to Thai women there?

Shocked, I tell you I am shocked this is happening.

Roll on Brexit I say.

Untill they are getting money, they are happily married women but if their remuneration stopped, they are victims. 

This is happening since many years but all agents/ marriage registrar and immigration officers are innocent. 

Great theory of Thailand, really all are "phi nong " only foreigners are at guilty..

"Amazing  Thailand "

13 hours ago, Pii Kate said:

I've lived here for 5.5 yrs. and every day seem to learn more ways Thais try to get money without working for it.  Maybe lots of people are like this not just Thais, but what do they expect? Something for nothing.

Back in 1980s Britain there were agencies run by Thais and English and Indian people that arranged marriages of convenience for Thais to British and Irish citizens by the thousands for a little as £500 at the time. Many Thais are now living and working in Britain that originally entered the country via this scheme. It means 30 years later there are thousands of Thais living in Britain that entered the country fraudulently and have no rights to be there. But the British Home Office have simply turned a blind eye and will never investigate and deport those people.

Under the laws after a couple of years, these women simply claim desertion and can automatically obtain a divorce. I`ve heard this can be completed within hours at a Thai amphur office, if there are no children or assets involved. If after a divorce, these Indians can return to India, which is literally a stone`s throw from Thailand, change their names, obtain new passports and begin the whole process again. It`s a huge racket run by corrupt agencies that operate worldwide.

India is probably one of the most corrupt nations on Earth, they know every trick in the book and Thailand faces a huge task trying to combat their scams over here.

What convenient timing this comes out as soon as Big Joke takes over. This is on purpose. I keep telling people and they don't want to listen. Every time they crack down on illegal immigration they also make it much harder and crack down in every way on legal immigration as well. Now all you who are married to Thai's are suspect as being criminals and in 'marriages of convenience' Get ready to set up an extra bed in your house for the immigration officer they will soon be assigning you to be sure you are really married. 

On 10/20/2018 at 6:37 PM, Bluespunk said:

Tough. 

You knowingly entered into a fraudulent marriage. 

As ye sow, so shall ye reap. 

It is well documented of millions of cases in the reverse mode as well, where many foriengers have been ripped off marrying a Thai lady

23 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

What convenient timing this comes out as soon as Big Joke takes over. This is on purpose. I keep telling people and they don't want to listen. Every time they crack down on illegal immigration they also make it much harder and crack down in every way on legal immigration as well. Now all you who are married to Thai's are suspect as being criminals and in 'marriages of convenience' Get ready to set up an extra bed in your house for the immigration officer they will soon be assigning you to be sure you are really married. 

Is there some hidden agenda behind this? Do they want to throw out westerners now? I thought they wanted us here. Asking you because you seem spot on about this issue. 

6 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Back in 1980s Britain there were agencies run by Thais and English and Indian people that arranged marriages of convenience for Thais to British and Irish citizens by the thousands for a little as £500 at the time. Many Thais are now living and working in Britain that originally entered the country via this scheme. It means 30 years later there are thousands of Thais living in Britain that entered the country fraudulently and have no rights to be there. But the British Home Office have simply turned a blind eye and will never investigate and deport those people.

Under the laws after a couple of years, these women simply claim desertion and can automatically obtain a divorce. I`ve heard this can be completed within hours at a Thai amphur office, if there are no children or assets involved. If after a divorce, these Indians can return to India, which is literally a stone`s throw from Thailand, change their names, obtain new passports and begin the whole process again. It`s a huge racket run by corrupt agencies that operate worldwide.

India is probably one of the most corrupt nations on Earth, they know every trick in the book and Thailand faces a huge task trying to combat their scams over here.

Just to digress from the Thai issue of arranged marriages I need to comment on the above to provide further clarity with respect to the point made regarding Thai women in Britain.

Actually the British Nationality Act of 1981 put a stop to bogus marriages as you have described.  However rather than addressing the root cause of the issue, namely stopping the hundreds of Indians and Pakistanis abusing the system ,  this was a catch-all act that prevented all women of any nationality from automatically attaining British citzenship by virtue of marriage to a British citizen. This was the unfairness of the act that has been perpetuated ever since. Those of us married to Thais who have wanted to take our spouses to the UK  ever since this act was passed into law (1983) have been shackled by the Act's provisions and later amendments ever since.

Instead of addressing the real cause of the problem created by the Indians and Pakistanis primarily , Margaret Thatcher , the PM at the time and the chief author of this act, ensured the legitimate human rights to a family life were made difficult for those British men married to a foreign person.   Of course successive governments, and law amendments have made it more difficult ever since,

Archived