Does having dash cam installed reduce insurance rate?

MJKT2014

We will need to renew full insurance on a 10 yo Fortuner soon. Costs about 12,000THB approx. We use Tanachart Bank insurance. 

Q. If we were to install a dash cam would it get us a cheaper insurance rate or no change at all? If so any recommendations for a cheap dash cam please?

Edited by MJKT2014

There are some that do, but frankly the discount you may get probably wouldnt cover the cost of a decent dashcan & card.

Dashcams have been discussed many times and a brief search will probably render some good results.

But you may prefer to wait for other comments on that aspect.

I have bought from Lazada for one vehicle, and locally for the other. costs vary from 1500 - 3500 in my case.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Thanks guys, so if 5% it maybe worth it. I notice some dash cams on Lazada are under 500THB!

So when doing insurance the company deducts upfront with proof (photo?) of a dashcam or how does that work?

True, i paid 2500 Bht for mine at one of those fancy bolt on junk Shops.Now under 500 in the current Lazada.

6 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Thanks guys, so if 5% it maybe worth it. I notice some dash cams on Lazada are under 500THB!

So when doing insurance the company deducts upfront with proof (photo?) of a dashcam or how does that work?

I got a quote first, then told them I had a dash-cam (otherwise they may simply say "oh the quote we sent you already includes the dash-cam discount) . Had to send the insurer a copy of the purchase invoice and photo of dash-cam in the car and got the quote reduced by 5%.

https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com/asia/news/regional-news/thailand-regulator-orders-motor-insurance-discount-for-dash-cam-owners-68401.aspx

• Like 2

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If the dashcam isn't working at the time of accident you may not be covered, check the T&Cs if you can find them

A dash cam has nothing to do with a accident. It's just a plus for check what happend and who was wrong. So this never want cut the covering. Latest the customer protection board or a court sentence will delete a unfair rule like this in the T&Cs.

Edited by snowgard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

A dash cam has nothing to do with a accident. It's just a plus for check what happend and who was wrong. So this never want cut the covering. Latest the customer protection board or a court sentence will delete a unfair rule like this in the T&Cs.

You have proof of a court case where it was deleted? Not many people fancy going to court after an accident
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You have proof of a court case where it was deleted? Not many people fancy going to court after an accident

Do you have a proof where a accident happend and the insurance not covered it because the dash cam wasn't working?

Forthis you don't must go to court. The Office of Consumer Protection Board deal with this for free.

Edited by snowgard
  • Like 2

Last year I received the 5% discount. I had to take photos of the camera outside the car and inside with camera working.

This year when I renewed the policy I was told the 5% discount was for the first year only.

• Like 1

Reading OP I discovered 5 seconds ago we have a discount for a dashcam too for a two years old Chevrolet Trailblazer, my wife went alone to the insurance company,  and to my astonishment, she just told me they asked her the price of this dashcam.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ireland32 said:

The heat kills those cheap ones

It’s the battery it kills. I have a fairly expensive nextbase from uk and on a trip back to uk they replaced it foc,otherwise £30. However, the camera still works anyway when connected to the power in the car which it always will be when driving so it works normally. If you want to playback while out of the car simply plug it into mains/usb adapter. Not really a problem then.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

The insurance company asked for images of the dashcam from the  inside and outside also showing  the car tags.

Sorry VYCM just noticed your post .

Edited by akampa
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ballpoint said:

Whether it will or won't reduce your premium, I'd still install a dashcam.

Agree, I also have a dashcam – good quality, more than 500 baht – didn't even check if I could get a reduction in insurance. If looked financially only at 5% off 12,000 baht, i.e. 600 baht, a quality dashcam with 16GB or 32GB card should last for 3-5 years just to break even...????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agree, I also have a dashcam – good quality, more than 500 baht – didn't even check if I could get a reduction in insurance. If looked financially only at 5% off 12,000 baht, i.e. 600 baht, a quality dashcam with 16GB or 32GB card should last for 3-5 years just to break even...[emoji846]
I have a 8GB card in mine which i took out an old phone. Did the job fine for an HD dashcam, where the important part will be the last few minutes
  • Like 2

On 10/21/2018 at 11:55 AM, scubascuba3 said:

If the dashcam isn't working at the time of accident you may not be covered, check the T&Cs if you can find them

That is exactly what I was told when discussing car insurance with my Honda dealer. Be very careful.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Not only the savings on insurance, but piece of mind knowing you can prove you are not in the wrong

If you are in the wrong, hide the camera ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, akampa said:

The insurance company asked for images of the dashcam from the  inside and outside also showing  the car tags.

Sorry VYCM just noticed your post .

No, good input, I forgot to mention they want the Licence plate in the photo.

Thanks.

I wonder if they'd give a discount, if a cam is stuck behind this film?   the resultant loss of all definition renders any cam useless

you'd have to really vet which photos you present to the insurer

Image result for car reflection shop window 

the other downfall having a cam, inside a window, is the glare reflections caused at night from the IR LEDs light bouncing back into the lens; from the glass (and especially the demister strips if your window has them:

33 minutes ago, tifino said:

I wonder if they'd give a discount, if a cam is stuck behind this film?   the resultant loss of all definition renders any cam useless

you'd have to really vet which photos you present to the insurer

Image result for car reflection shop window 

the other downfall having a cam, inside a window, is the glare reflections caused at night from the IR LEDs light bouncing back into the lens; from the glass (and especially the demister strips if your window has them:

Dash Cams are forward facing.

Also no Demister strips on Windscreen.

Keep the funny stuff coming. LOL

• Haha 1