Overstay few hours issue or not?

I’ve just noticed the stamp on my Visa on Arrival permits me to stay here until the 25th (funny way of counting fifteen days giving that I entered on the 11th evening.) 

Our flights are booked at 6.30am on the 26th.

i have overstayed before twice both for a couple of days and I always paid the fine with no dramas arising.  No overstay stamp on passport either as far as I can see but prob will be on their system.

regarding my recent drama with unpaid tax at the airport, i’m inclined to waste half a day to go to Korat immigration, pay 1900฿ and get a 7 day extension.  Then again, will a few hours when I’ll be at the airport anyway matter???? 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

Immigration at airports do not fine you for a one day overstay , although they will put an overstay stamp in your PP , which is nothing to be concerned about

They don’t always stamp the passport, and when they do it’s not usually a standard overstay stamp. They stamp the passport confirming the overstay was less than 24 hours.

7 hours ago, Jinjo14 said:

I've just noticed the stamp on my Visa on Arrival permits me to stay here until the 25th (funny way of counting fifteen days giving that I entered on the 11th evening.) 

It's not 15 days plus the day you arrived. It's 15 days including the day you arrived. So it's day one plus 14 more days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pungdo said:

I copped heaps from a woman IO at Swampy one night at 12:10am, yeap that would be a whole 10 mins on overstay, I just said that if I hadn't been standing in a queue for 45 mins then it wouldn't have been a problem, she gave me a snarl and sent me on my way.

Earlier I had tried to check in early to try and avoid any dramas but they said it was too early and told me to wait, the flight was at 2am

It doesn't have anything to do with the time you pass through immigration (I was told once, just before midnight when I was still within my permitted days but the officer said "overstay"), but instead with the time the plane is scheduled for take off. Until such time (shortly after midnight, but hey, next day already) you still count as being "in Thailand", despite the fact that you're in a transit zone. Go figure...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

they WILL fine you 500 bath. I experienced it last year in Phuket.

You should leave the country at least on the day of the stamp in your passport.

I miscalculated that and was fined 500 bath at airport, the day after stamp was valed.

2 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

I miscalculated that and was fined 500 bath at airport, the day after stamp was valed.

No they wont the first day is free, I overstayed one day last year but dont tell bkk6060 he will get all triggered ????????

Edited by goonnerone

44 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

It is usually only the Bangkok airports that do not charge for the one day overstay.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

It doesn't have anything to do with the time you pass through immigration (I was told once, just before midnight when I was still within my permitted days but the officer said "overstay"), but instead with the time the plane is scheduled for take off. Until such time (shortly after midnight, but hey, next day already) you still count as being "in Thailand", despite the fact that you're in a transit zone. Go figure... 

I have always been under the impression that once you have passed through immigration you are technically no longer in Thailand or what ever country you are exiting, a kind of no mans land

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Pungdo said:

I have always been under the impression that once you have passed through immigration you are technically no longer in Thailand or what ever country you are exiting, a kind of no mans land

Even when you pass through immigration you are still in the country. Airside is not “no mans land” of any kind. It is effectively just a more secure area of the airport.

I ended up overstaying a few hours when we came in at 1am and the official stamped us with the old stamp from the previous day, ruining my carefully calculated stay length. It was no problem at all, we were not fined or stamped with an overstay stamp or anything. This was 5 years ago though. 

On 10/22/2018 at 8:33 AM, ubonjoe said:

The day you enter the country is day one of the 15 days. Nothing really odd about that since most countries do it that way.

A few hours of overstay is not a problem. If leaving from either airport in Bangkok you will not be fined 500 baht for less than 24 hours of overstay.

In the Uk the day you enter and the day you leave is not part of your days stay, Thailand is missing .A 30 day stay in reality is 28.

13 minutes ago, Percy P said:

In the Uk the day you enter and the day you leave is not part of your days stay, Thailand is missing .A 30 day stay in reality is 28.

If you stay the full 30 days you are in the country for 30 consecutive days.

On 10/22/2018 at 8:33 AM, ubonjoe said:

The day you enter the country is day one of the 15 days. Nothing really odd about that since most countries do it that way.

A few hours of overstay is not a problem. If leaving from either airport in Bangkok you will not be fined 500 baht for less than 24 hours of overstay.

On 10/22/2018 at 4:21 PM, Suradit69 said:

It's not 15 days plus the day you arrived. It's 15 days including the day you arrived. So it's day one plus 14 more days.

And if your flight out is 0100hrs of your 14th day you have 13days stay.

51 minutes ago, elviajero said:

51 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Currect.. Thailand miss out where it counts the day you enter ,day you leave as part of your stay. I have entered at 23:30hrs and departed 0500 hrs .2daya of my stay gone. Nobody have their full  days allotted in Thailand.Quite a lot of income missed out. 

Edited by Percy P

3 hours ago, Percy P said:

Currect.. Thailand miss out where it counts the day you enter day you leave as part of your stay. I have entered at 23:30hrs and departed 0500 hrs .2 days of my stay gone. Nobody has their full days allotted in Thailand.Quite a lot of income missed out.

At the moment I am paying nearly twice as much for the same item i had before 2008 so the Government is having twice the amount in exchange rate Spending it quite rightly on tanks and submarines which i hope they will never have a reason to use.

Edited by Percy P

On 10/23/2018 at 7:45 AM, Pungdo said:

Logic would say that. I was under that impression too and got taken aside. Just to realize I really was in Thailand, where the interpretation of regulations and laws occasionally is with individual uniformed persons.