Roadside airplanes

South

One reason some aircraft (at least those on the edges of airports) is because of debts. If an owner goes bankrupt, the plane is not allowed to leave unless the debts are paid. Parking fees quickly mount up, and older planes get left in limbo - the airport wants the parking fees, so you have to pay them before a plane leaves/get broken up but it is no longer worth the fees!. And in Thailand, debts stay on the balance sheet secured by that scrap, or derelict house ..... never written off.

On 10/22/2018 at 11:49 AM, melvinmelvin said:

leftover 747 at udon thani airport

a plane on Koh Kred, the island in Chao Praya just north of Bangkok

some planes, viet nam war leftovers I think, at Wat Hua Krabue in SW Bangkok

I must be blind. I went to Koh Kred a couple of years ago and can't remember seeing anything that resembled a plane .....

2 hours ago, South said:

I must be blind. I went to Koh Kred a couple of years ago and can't remember seeing anything that resembled a plane .....

Koh Kred is sort of 3-angular,

one east-west stretch

one north-south stretch

one ...... stretch

the plane is on the east-west stretch towards the western end, not far from the water

11 hours ago, tso310 said:

""nknown aircraft type on the side of Mittahparp between Chockchai Farms and Saraburi."

If its the one I'm thinking of its an ex RTAF Fairchild C-123

C-123.jpg

Sadly, the right wing of that one is now broken and sagging down, hopefully someone will fix it up.  The restaurant behind it used to be quite good, but I haven't stopped there for a while.

Just up the road from this, on the left hand side heading away from Saraburi, near Muak Lek, there's what looks like a junkyard with a few aircraft, including a small helicopter and these two taken from Google Earth.  There's also a bunch of ex military vehicles.  I've often thought of stopping there, but there's no sign saying what the place is for, and I'm usually speeding past having just come up the hill.  Maybe next time.  I'd love to turn my front yard into something similar.

image.png.f6b58268cc5a3b22f9cfcc320a072199.png

Edited by ballpoint

• 4 weeks later...
Transall C160 in somebody garden just near to Nong Nooch Bangsaray.
Rather strange, as far as I am aware Thailand did not operate this type only France; Indonesia; West Germany; South Africa and Turkey.
Unable to get any closer to it but looks like it is being beautifully restored as a garden ornament
C160.jpg.f33b9938a3f08b6161cc078c5435b6c1.jpg
This is not an old aircraft. Those 6 bladed high efficient props are relatively new.

3 hours ago, Aussie69 said:
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, Rimmer said:
Transall C160 in somebody garden just near to Nong Nooch Bangsaray.
Rather strange, as far as I am aware Thailand did not operate this type only France; Indonesia; West Germany; South Africa and Turkey.
Unable to get any closer to it but looks like it is being beautifully restored as a garden ornament
C160.jpg.f33b9938a3f08b6161cc078c5435b6c1.jpg

This is not an old aircraft. Those 6 bladed high efficient props are relatively new.

Maybe they are decorative add-ons.

The rest of the plane looks like a genuine Transall C-160.

• 9 months later...

There is also what could be a 737 with a Star Alliance logo on the side. The demon painter is just getting started on that one so don't hold your breath for an original paint scheme

Not a derelict aircraft but among all the other military stuff on the site tucked away at the back is this incredible old Chinese two handed fire pump.

20190821_135027.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Saw this UH1A a couple of days back at the same 'air park' place just off the 331 highway northbound before the turn off to Silver Lakes.

Looks to be original ex US army and colors, hope they don't don't paint it some garish color scheme like they have with the other aircraft there.

Some what look like bullet holes in the fuselage and canopy but doubt they are real as they don't come out the other side, also some holes on the tail fins are on the top of the fins. The logo on the front is first air cav

UH1A air cav 1 .jpg

UH1A Air Cav 2.jpg

UH1A Air Cav 3.jpg

• Like 1