Vigo's Boliden Battery, Coincidence or Conspiracy (lol)

I had the oddest experience this week.  I had just gotten back from a month long vacation.  The following morning I went out to start my Vigo truck, concerned that it may not start, but surprisingly it started okay albeit a little slow.  I drove my truck all around for the next week, when I went out this past Friday to go out, it wouldn't start..I charged the  Boliden battery with my battery charger and it started fine afterwards, but again, it was dead on the following morning.  I decided to charge the battery back up and drive down to the battery shop to have it replaced.  The odd thing that struck me was that the battery had worked after a 30 day absence, but then suddenly failed overnight as I had driven the truck extensively on the following day.  I also noted that the sticker on the battery indicated that it was installed on Oct 19, 2015 and on the coincidence or conspiracy side of things, the battery had failed on October 19, 2018, exactly 3 years to the date.  I'm sure that it was a coincidence, but if I was a conspiracy theorist, I might be suspicious that the manufacturer may have chipped the battery to fail exactly 3 years after initial installation (lol). 

I've heard of batteries suddenly failing without warning, but this is the first time this has happened to me.  Usually, batteries in the past, at least with me, have provided some early warning, weak starting and the like, before they failed, not going from working one day to nothing but the clicking sound during the start attempt on the following day.  By the way, I did have the battery tested at the battery shop and it indicated "Replace"

What do you think; all opinions welcome?

Thanks for your input, David

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 3:37 PM, trigpoint said:

My battery is on its way out but it's over 6 year old now, how much did you pay and where is the battery shop,truck is Mazda bt50. TIA.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I bought the Boliden 108M110L SMF battery for my Vigo 3.0L at the battery shop just past the ESSO station located north of Pattaya Tai on the west side of Sukumvit heading northbound.  There is a GS sign out front and above, but a bit hard to see.  There are many small shops like this one, but I've never had any problem with this shop.  I paid B4,000, about B400 more than it cost me 3 years ago.  I've seen it advertised on the internet websites for B3,800, but I'm not going to quibble about B200.

2 hours ago, no deal said:

i said on my post  before the battery on my  new 2016 honda jazz last only 13 month,look like the manufactures find a new way to make more money! battery last about 3/5 years everybody know that.

Not so..????

2 hours ago, no deal said:

i said on my post  before the battery on my  new 2016 honda jazz last only 13 month,look like the manufactures find a new way to make more money! battery last about 3/5 years everybody know that.

I concur I have found that to be the case with cars a 1.5 Yaris and a City both lasted a year and a bit but with trucks it has not been the case.

Vigo with heavy duty GS lasted over 5 years so bought the same to replace it.

Have a Panasonic in the Isuzu we just bought if it don't last I will replace it with a GS.

Always buy Yuasa batteries for motorbikes they last me 5 year too.

3 hours ago, no deal said:

I only got around 15 months life on my first two Toyotas before batteries died. Latest Tuna is still going after around 20 months, am expecting it to go Tit's up any day now. Surprised it has lasted so long as the Tuna is full of electric gadgets. Like K/S I shall replace with a GS sealed one as I have in the past. 

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

I only got around 15 months life on my first two Toyotas before batteries died. Latest Tuna is still going after around 20 months, am expecting it to go Tit's up any day now. Surprised it has lasted so long as the Tuna is full of electric gadgets. Like K/S I shall replace with a GS sealed one as I have in the past. 

Every Toyota I have owned the factory installed battery didn't make 2 years, some little over a year.

Every battery I bought from third party lasted around 3 years more or less. I usually use FB, but I think any reputable brand will be about same

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I concur I have found that to be the case with cars a 1.5 Yaris and a City both lasted a year and a bit but with trucks it has not been the case.

Vigo with heavy duty GS lasted over 5 years so bought the same to replace it.

Have a Panasonic in the Isuzu we just bought if it don't last I will replace it with a GS.

Always buy Yuasa batteries for motorbikes they last me 5 year too.

the battery on my 2016 jazz was very old whit the plug on top where you ad water in it, you can even buy this battery right now, ,and to low for the car,next time I buy a new car I will check the battery! you can not trust anyone anymore!

6 minutes ago, no deal said:

the battery on my 2016 jazz was very old whit the plug on top where you ad water in it, you can even buy this battery right now, ,and to low for the car,next time I buy a new car I will check the battery! you can not trust anyone anymore!

Think you must read up on what determines battery life..There are many variables....☺️

3 minutes ago, no deal said:

yes,

you have very good battery and bad battery the manufacturers do not install the very good one!

on my new 2016 jazz the battery die after 13 month ,you think that normal? 

Could be in LOS on a particular electrical setup taking into consideration usage, heat etc....I have done the experiments on my own ride..Taught me a lot....

2 hours ago, transam said:

Could be in LOS on a particular electrical setup taking into consideration usage, heat etc....I have done the experiments on my own ride..Taught me a lot....

My daughters Honda City the battery from new lasted 1 year and 1 week they put cheap short life batteries and the try to sell you another.

Went to a battery shop and it been 4 years nearly now with a Boliden but it went flat the first week because they didn't charge it from new properly. 

Used GS batteries in Vigo and Yaris never a problem. 

My daughters Honda City the battery from new lasted 1 year and 1 week they put cheap short life batteries and the try to sell you another.

Went to a battery shop and it been 4 years nearly now with a Boliden but it went flat the first week because they didn't charge it from new properly. 

Used GS batteries in Vigo and Yaris never a problem. 

My Boliden came charged out of the sealed box ..

Many of you have read this before but..My Vigo with auto trans mainly used for short hops..

2 Toyota "brand" batteries lasted exactly 2 years, Boliden with half the fluid lost (don't ask) 3 years, cheap Thai battery 3 years and 4 months but with this one I always opened the hood when I got home.

The one I have now (8 months) is called an FB Hybrid, so far so good, but I will add, when I had my alternator rebuilt they put a smaller pulley on it to speed it up at low RPM, seems they knew my ride with auto trans used constantly at low RPM can be a problem regarding batteries and charge rate..I still lift the hood.

Anyhoo, I can't tell you the longevity of this latest battery as the Vigo is to be sold..????

1 hour ago, transam said:

My Boliden came charged out of the sealed box ..

Many of you have read this before but..My Vigo with auto trans mainly used for short hops..

2 Toyota "brand" batteries lasted exactly 2 years, Boliden with half the fluid lost (don't ask) 3 years, cheap Thai battery 3 years and 4 months but with this one I always opened the hood when I got home.

The one I have now (8 months) is called an FB Hybrid, so far so good, but I will add, when I had my alternator rebuilt they put a smaller pulley on it to speed it up at low RPM, seems they knew my ride with auto trans used constantly at low RPM can be a problem regarding batteries and charge rate..I still lift the hood.

Anyhoo, I can't tell you the longevity of this latest battery as the Vigo is to be sold..????

well i see many people have the same problem whit battery on new cars...

On 10/22/2018 at 7:18 AM, PattayaDavid said:

The odd thing that struck me was that the battery had worked after a 30 day absence, but then suddenly failed overnight as I had driven the truck extensively on the following day. 

My original truck battery showed no problems on the day it failed... until it failed. No issues with sluggish starts beyond a one-off mysterious flatness after being parked up for 3 days at the airport several months earlier. Since then, no issues. Started around 5 AM and made runs to the market, to the wife's business, then took the lad to school and a stop at Big C on the way home. Pulled into a gas station, filled up and 'click' dead as a maggot. Not even the starter solenoid chatter of a low battery or poor connection. Must have been turned off for less than 3 minutes. This after maybe 8 or 10 stop/starts since over around 5 hours. Battery had been tested as good at the dealership after the airport incident and on two subsequent services. When they go, they go and not always overnight either.

Installed a Boliden after that. Never looked back since.

16 hours ago, no deal said:

well i see many people have the same problem whit battery on new cars...

Yes in Thailand have had problems with batteries but I have never had trouble with GS & Yuasa batteries so I tend to stick to the devil you know.

Yes in Thailand have had problems with batteries but I have never had trouble with GS & Yuasa batteries so I tend to stick to the devil you know.

like i said the manufacturer find a new way using bad battery to make more money,also my 2016 jazz was made in thailand that may explain the spear tire and battery...

On 10/22/2018 at 1:41 PM, transam said:

Never had a warning on my Vigo....A Boliden needs a charger that puts out 14.5+ volts..I got 3 years out of a Boliden that had a bit of fluid missing...

I got over 5 years on the original Toyota battery, 120,000km. Replaced it with an FT for Bht 1900.

1 hour ago, no deal said:

like i said the manufacturer find a new way using bad battery to make more money,also my 2016 jazz was made in thailand that may explain the spear tire and battery...

FWIW, the FoMoCo (Ford) branded batteries fitted to Rangers assembled in Thailand are made by GS Thailand. Similarly, the light bulbs fitted to Rangers are made by Osram but are rubbish compared to Osram's premium light bulbs. Stuff made by the same manufacturer in the same factory but it's not hard to work out that Ford, Nissan, Honda etc., doing a bulk buy for an assembly line probably accept a lower quality standard to get the price breaks.

When it comes to the 'my 5 year-old Colorado still has the original battery' versus 'my Vigo's on its second battery after only 18 months', the biggest single battery killer here is is heat. Engine compartment temperatures can really soar when, after a run, the car is stopped, the engine turned off and there's no more air flow. In the example above, the Colorado probably has a cooler location under the hood than the Vigo has. They don't typically mention battery location or rate of attrition when making up the list of things that make their pickup better deal than the other guys pickup.

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, plfomylo said:

HEllo, is Boliden supposed to be better ? How long can you use a Vigo battery of any brand ? what is your experience ? thanks.

GS heavy duty cheaper than Boliden, GS HD came with my Vigo lasted over 5 years, there are other makes just as good IMHO, don't understand why people want pay more for a Boliden unless they can get it for the same price maybe the name turn em on.

Archived