Xmas eve, anything going on?

Deserted

Does anyone know of anything happening xmas eve. Hotel buffet or pub evening would be great. Likely to have a family join us, they were asking if there is anything for kids the night xmas eve or even just somewhere looking very chistmassy? I said I didn't think there was but thought it best to check first. Maybe one of the malls or more expensive hotels have something going on.

Siam Paragon, Central World etc always have pretty decent Christmas decorations. I am sure most hotels, farang orientated pubs will have 3 course deals, buffets etc.

Sadly this year its a Tuesday so i and many other expats i know will be working the week. Still its generally a quiet week.

Hope everyone enjoys themselves.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Do they celebrate Loy Krathong, Song Kran and other Buddhist dates in UK or USA. So why should they do it for J C in Thailand?

You'll be hard pushed to find a shopping mall anywhere in Thailand that doesnt have a Christmas tree ! or decorations. 

20 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

You'll be hard pushed to find a shopping mall anywhere in Thailand that doesnt have a Christmas tree ! or decorations. 

Some of the decorations dont get it quiet right though, years ago I saw santa clause on a crucifix and a nativity scene with the 3 wise men in santa suits. I was seeing a girl who waied the xmas tree in a mall, the same as she would wai a budda or king statue.

45 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Do they celebrate Loy Krathong, Song Kran and other Buddhist dates in UK or USA. So why should they do it for J C in Thailand?

Indeed.

Shouldn't bother bringing such attention to the ignorant masses.

'Tis all about illusional superior cultural centricity.

For commercial reasons. Christmas is extensively promoted here; starting very soon and usually continuing until February.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 hours ago, Deserted said:

Does anyone know of anything happening xmas eve. Hotel buffet or pub evening would be great. Likely to have a family join us, they were asking if there is anything for kids the night xmas eve or even just somewhere looking very chistmassy? I said I didn't think there was but thought it best to check first. Maybe one of the malls or more expensive hotels have something going on.

Is there any expensive hotel in Thailand without x-mas special? I doubt it.

On 10/22/2018 at 8:03 PM, smutcakes said:

Siam Paragon, Central World etc always have pretty decent Christmas decorations. I am sure most hotels, farang orientated pubs will have 3 course deals, buffets etc.

Sadly this year its a Tuesday so i and many other expats i know will be working the week. Still its generally a quiet week.

Hope everyone enjoys themselves.

20+ years working in thailand, never worked christmas day. took off on the kings birthday and came back after new yars

just google christmas dinner bangkok, there is no shortage of options. 

most restaurants and all high end hotels have something on.

even if the listings arent current, its a fine indicator of hat will be available on the day

20 hours ago, HooHaa said:

just google christmas dinner bangkok, there is no shortage of options. 

most restaurants and all high end hotels have something on.

even if the listings arent current, its a fine indicator of hat will be available on the day

The family joining us fly out xmas day, its specifically xmas eve and a late afternoon/early evening affair that they want. 

On 10/22/2018 at 7:27 PM, CharlieH said:

I know you are correct, but its all for making money. 99% of Thais have no idea of the meaning of Christmas.

On 10/22/2018 at 7:23 PM, wgdanson said:

For someone who has been in Thailand for any length of time you should have seen the many celebrations going on for Christmas with decorations, trees, carols , ect in Bangkok, Pattataya and other places. They even do Halloween especially in Pattaya. Japan does a huge Chritmas celebration ,its not a holiday but they have Christmas trees, decorations and  many Japanese go out  for  a big dinner. Bourbon Street Restaurant in Bangkok serves a Christmas dinner and also serves other US type dinners on Easter, Thanksgiving and other holidays. Many hotels will also be serving Christmas dinners .

1 minute ago, Tony125 said:

For someone who has been in Thailand for any length of time you should have seen the many celebrations going on for Christmas with decorations, trees, carols , ect in Bangkok, Pattataya and other places. They even do Halloween especially in Pattaya. Japan does a huge Chritmas celebration ,its not a holiday but they have Christmas trees, decorations and  many Japanese go out  for  a big dinner. 

I read somewhere that the 'big' Christmas dinner in Japan was to go to KFC. Really!

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I read somewhere that the 'big' Christmas dinner in Japan was to go to KFC. Really!

Although Christmas is not a formal, nationally recognized holiday in Japan, the Japanese culture has adopted the season's traditions and spirit over time. Cities celebrate Christmas through festivals and special events, and citizens celebrate the season with sentiment , presents and, of course, food

From December 1974, KFC Japan began to promote fried chicken as a Christmasmeal, with its long running "Kentucky for Christmas" (Japanese: クリスマスはケンタッキー) advertising campaign. Eating KFC as a Christmas time meal has since become a widely practised custom in Japan.

So contrary to your post where you asked why should the Thai celebrate Christmas both the Thai and Japanese celebrate it not as a religious holiday but as a time to give presents and have sanuk(fun)

Archived