ANUSARN MARKET Another nail in the coffin

scottiejohn

1395741199_nosmoking.jpg.203a11e1428549309e9cc09ef21e0de6.jpg

These no smoking signs have been in place for a few weeks now but in the last week the stall holders/tenants have received a letter telling them to enforce the rule at their stalls/premises.  This of course now means there is no smoking even in the outside sitting areas of any of the bar & food outlets and also of course the stall holders/owners themselves now cannot even smoke anywhere (except in the Toilets?).  This appears to be an Anusarn management decision and not a local government one.
Needless to say neither the stall holders/businesses nor the smoking customers are happy and the bars/restaurants are already seeing the loss of customers.  Last night I saw 4 couples in less than one hour either leave or not even sit down, at one of the small bars with outside seating, when informed that they could no longer smoke there. These were (now ex) regular customers who the manageress new were smokers.  Their comments are not printable in a family forum such as this but among other comments they all said they were off to Loi Kroi etc and would not be coming back inside the market. 

Anusarin is already seeing a drop in numbers of stall holders/businesses and customer footfall.  This is just another self imposed nail in the coffin of an already dying area.

PS; I don't smoke so I have no axe to grind in that respect.

Sorry about the decline in business but I agree with the ban on smoking in eating and selling of food areas.

Perhaps a smoking area away from those areas would solve the problem.

Interesting you saw four couples not patronizing the no smoking signed establishments. I wonder how may did actually patronize them because there was no smoking?

27 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Sorry about the decline in business but I agree with the ban on smoking in eating and selling of food areas.

Perhaps a smoking area away from those areas would solve the problem.

Interesting you saw four couples not patronizing the no smoking signed establishments. I wonder how may did actually patronize them because there was no smoking?

During the hour in question there was a table of 4 Male Farang and 2 Thai ladies, two of the men ignored the sign and "warning"  and smoked/vaped regardless,  3 young Thai men came in and myself and partner between 2030-2130.  There was live music from 2100.

55 minutes ago, Shoeless Joe said:

I wonder how many non-smoking customers establishments lose when they see smokers doing their thing where food is being served? I really dislike the overwhelming smell of cigarettes when I'm eating, so I vote with my feet.

Regards,

Joe

Same here,not long ago i was told to f off when i made a comment about someone smoking four sigarettes in a row.

I know the owner needs the business but they will have to do without me from now on.

Kind of my fault also because what can you expect from a restaurant that has ash trays on the table?

I agree with the 'no smoking' zone. Nothing is worse than trying to have a meal while breathing in second-hand smoke from others.

Just in case some smokers don't know this fact, some people have nasal allergies towards smoke (their nose will spew mucus).

Would you want to subject others to discomfort? We are not even going to talk about lung cancer.

Chinese tourists are notoriously infamous for being smokers there and that's why I avoided that place.

Now I might go to Anusarn market again for a 'non-smoking' meal.

10 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I agree with the 'no smoking' zone. Nothing is worse than trying to have a meal while breathing in second-hand smoke from others.

Just in case some smokers don't know this fact, some people have nasal allergies towards smoke (their nose will spew mucus).

Would you want to subject others to discomfort? We are not even going to talk about lung cancer.

Chinese tourists are notoriously infamous for being smokers there and that's why I avoided that place.

Now I might go to Anusarn market again for a 'non-smoking' meal.

"their nose will spew mucus" known in the normal world as sneezing.

8 hours ago, Dante99 said:

That market was nice when you could go to Fatty's there for seafood.

..Nat's Bistro, which used to be at the end of that market, was a good place to eat too..i see she has now moved down Charoenprathet Road just past Loi Kroh Rd..she allows smoking outside.

7 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

I wonder how many non-smoking customers establishments lose when they see smokers doing their thing where food is being served? I really dislike the overwhelming smell of cigarettes when I'm eating, so I vote with my feet.

Regards,

Joe

Looks like the OP is not getting the responses he might have expected.  Maybe the title of thread should have been...... Finally can eat at Anusarn without breathing someones smoking cigarret

1 hour ago, LawrenceN said:

"This is just another self imposed nail in the coffin of an already dying area." -OP

I love the irony. You do know don't you that "coffin nail" is another way of saying cigarette?

That is why I used the juxtaposition of the phrases/words.

I assume your next post will be on "stating the bloody obvious".

39 minutes ago, rumak said:

Looks like the OP is not getting the responses he might have expected.  Maybe the title of thread should have been...... Finally can eat at Anusarn without breathing someones smoking cigarret

Did you not read the "PS" at the end of my OP.  

I am not a smoker and do not like it, but the point is to ban smoking for everyone, employees and visitors with NO place for any of them to indulge in their habit is I think a "nail in the coffin" for that area.

(the pun! in the phrase was intended-see a few posts above)

Yeah, I'm an occasional smoker, but never sit in smoking area or purposely choose a venue with indoor smoking.  Go outside, away from anyone/everyone for a smoke, sure.  I can also appreciate the putrid stench of ripe durian (while eating it), but really don't have the urge to bask in it......in a tightly enclosed area

8 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Regards,

Joe

I am a smoker yet totally agree with what you say.

There is a time and place for everything and there is nothing worse than smelling other people`s cigarette smoke while eating in a cafe or restaurant. I also agree that these businesses will lose more customers by permitting smokers to light up close by where people are eating. Even as a smoker I am able to reframe from the weed for a few hours in places where smoking is not appropriate.

Smoking will neither make or break Anusarn Market. Declining tourism might.

I have nothing against people who need to smoke... and it IS a 'need,' not a want. It's an addiction every bit as strong as other banned drugs. Any ex-smoker will tell you that. Most would stop if they could. I was a smoker for 43 years, wishing I could quit for the last 25 of those years. Now that I have stopped, I am gob-smacked at the actual stench of it! As a smoker, I never realized just how badly it smelled to non-smokers. And not just when smoking. Getting into a small elevator with a smoker is no joy...  To have to put up with that stench while eating is no picnic either, and has often ruined the pleasure of a good meal.

I would never ask a person not to smoke. That is their business. But I would ask that they don't insist that I smoke too. If you need to satisfy your craving, fine... Go do it where non-smokers won't be affected by it. Please don't force that stench on us, especially while we are eating. That's just rude.  I won't play my bagpipes where you are trying to sleep. Please don't smoke where I am trying to eat.

Archived