Explosive device found at home of George Soros - New York Times

webfact

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, joecoolfrog said:

That may be so but my point is that there are plenty of people who dislike him for reasons other than anti semitism .He is not a nice person !

I don't know if he's a "nice" person or not as I haven't been on a coffee date with him. 

But, really, anyone that has been paying any attention would already know that the massive focus of Soros demonization over many recent years has been related to his LEFT WING POLITICS and the very many totally sick classic "global control" (fictitious) conspiracy theories surrounding him, often (though of course not always and I never said always) infected with implied or explicit antisemitism.

It would be very surprising indeed if the person or group sending that bomb was not affiliated with the far right wing white nationalist ideology that has been shamelessly using Soros as their whipping boy (old man actually). People would have to be very naïve not to see that. If Soros didn't exist as a real man, they would have to invent him or use another rich Jewish "globalist" name to demonize.

Background in this news item --

Explosive device found at residence of George Soros, liberal philanthropist and target of far right

The Hungarian government’s attack on Soros, which relies on anti-Semitic tropes, has fed into a conspiracy theory that casts the Jewish philanthropist as the director of a global cabal intent on flooding the West with migrants and undermining national sovereignty. Soros has become an archrival invoked by autocrats and far-right activists worldwide.

President Trump bought into the conspiracy theory this month when he tweeted that protesters opposing the nomination of Brett M. Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court were “paid for by Soros and others.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/10/23/explosive-device-found-residence-george-soros-liberal-philanthropist-target-far-right/

Jingthing's problem is that he is so overly sensitive to all things Israel and  Jewish that everything becomes anti-semitic in his eyes.  I have read any number of things about Soros funding left leaning causes and some of his business dealings that appear somewhat nefarious but never once knew he was Jewish. If you disagree with Soros you are now anti-semitic. With Jingthing, if you are on the right or conservative side of any issue you must be racist, anti-semitic or deplorable. 

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I won't dignify that ridiculous post with a reply but it is yet another example of the intellectual level of the Soros demonization agenda.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Shorthand for "I cannot refute the argument, so I'll make one of my usual strawman attacks instead". Sad.

13 minutes ago, Trouble said:

Jingthing's problem is that he is so overly sensitive to all things Israel and  Jewish that everything becomes anti-semitic in his eyes.  I have read any number of things about Soros funding left leaning causes and some of his business dealings that appear somewhat nefarious but never once knew he was Jewish. If you disagree with Soros you are now anti-semitic. With Jingthing, if you are on the right or conservative side of any issue you must be racist, anti-semitic or deplorable. 

Indeed, what George Soros's religion is has nothing to do with this, just a pathetic attempt at deflection. It's his political views and conflicts of interest which I find odious.

3 minutes ago, tubby johnson said:

That's some irrelevant, top-level trolling there. :coffee1: Please stay on topic.

It is on topic because it's the truth, which I've provided backup evidence for, and as I said I also think it's obvious that it's highly probable that the murderous criminal behind the bombing attempt is affiliated with the far right wing white nationalists that are obsessed with demonizing Soros.

25 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Shorthand for "I cannot refute the argument, so I'll make one of my usual strawman attacks instead". Sad.

Shorthand actually was that I was just saying that I refused to take an obvious TROLL BAITING post seriously enough to reply to based on the totally ridiculous level of the content. 

Maybe it's news to you but members are not required to respond to every troll baiting post that's spewed out here. Deal with it. 

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It is on topic because it's the truth, which I've provided backup evidence for, and as I said I also think it's obvious that it's highly probable that the murderous criminal behind the bombing attempt is affiliated with the far right wing white nationalists that are obsessed with demonizing Soros.

"the truth" :coffee1: Yes, of course. The Truth.

"it's obvious that it's highly probable" ..... Definitely that statement is probably incoherent.

"obsessed" ... Perhaps you're the obsessed one here.

1 minute ago, tubby johnson said:

"the truth" :coffee1: Yes, of course. The Truth.

"it's obvious that it's highly probable" ..... Definitely that statement is probably incoherent.

"obsessed" ... Perhaps you're the obsessed one here.

Another one that hasn't been following the news in recent years about Soros demonization. It's true we don't know who the criminal is yet but let's use some common sense. If someone went after "trump" it wouldn't be a republican politician from a southern state, now would it? The far right wing white nationalists are the group most energized in using Soros as a boogeyman and that, mi amigo, is a definite FACT. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sorry dude but it's a FACT that he is a philanthropist. You're entitled to your opinions but not to make up FACTS.

https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/people/george-soros

The peon of praise you quoted in support of Soros's "philanthropy" was cut and pasted from the web page of the Open Society Foundations, in whose lap George dropped 18 billion dollars. Not exactly an impartial source.

3 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

The peon of praise you quoted in support of Soros's "philanthropy" was cut and pasted from the web page of the Open Society Foundations, in whose lap George dropped 18 billion dollars. Not exactly an impartial source.

But he IS a philanthropist. Can you seriously refute that FACT? Of course you can't. You can hate on Soros all you want, that's your right, but you cannot refute that FACT. 

2 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

But it's the truth! It's a FACT. Jingthing said so. ????

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Another one that hasn't been following the news in recent years about Soros demonization. It's true we don't know who the criminal is yet but let's use some common sense. If someone went after "trump" it wouldn't be a republican politician from a southern state, now would it? The far right wing white nationalists are the group most energized in using Soros as a boogeyman and that, mi amigo, is a definite FACT. 

You must have a short memory.

Millions of people of ALL political persuasions suffered when Soros destroyed the pound in 1992 and the baht five years later - and will again if the regressive lefty billionaire's meddling in the UK's internal affairs results in Brexit being reversed.

His is the kind of "philanthropy" our world can do without.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I agree that it is the truth but it is strange when the far-right loves the Kushners, Mnuchin, Stephen Miller, Larry Kudlow (Jew turned Catholic), Netanyahu, and the new capitol in Jerusalem. And then there are the Evangelicals/Fundamentalists in some southern cities (perhaps elsewhere) of the US that have an Israeli flag in their churches because of their wishful and therefore self-fulfilling  prophecy of the end of times! They want to have it both ways and turn their demonization to the left and Soros while forgetting (or rather avoid acknowledging) that the far-right in Charlottesville were the ones who were chanting "Jews Will Not Replace Us"!  It is really the far right who are the anti-Semites unless they can be used to enhance their own power and wealth--no ethics or morals need be considered. And yes I believe Soros has more in morals and ethics which so many on this forum and elsewhere seek to demonize. Demonization from the right has been a winning tactic for quite a while--ever since Nixon, is as far back as I can remember.  We are all going to die and I just wish our short lifetimes weren't filled with such desperation and lack of centrist values--The Middle Way is the only path where we all win.

4 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Millions of people of ALL political persuasions suffered when Soros destroyed the pound in 1992 and the baht five years later - and will again if the regressive lefty billionaire's meddling in the UK's internal affairs results in Brexit being reversed.

Now he'll somehow find a way to shoehorn in a FACT about Thailand's millennia-old anti-semitism and how the Thais of course deserved the Baht's collapse and their subsequent struggles in poverty. You see, it was all just part of Saint Soros's big-hearted philanthropy. Anyone who fails to grasp this TRUTH is of course a jew-hating Nazi. FACT!

9 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Not sure that destroying the pound in 1992, the baht five years later and latterly pouring zillions into trying to reverse the UK's decision to leave the EU can be said to have made the world a better, fairer place. 

One thing that's for sure is that they have made an already wealthy and powerful man even more so. Sheer coincidence, of course.

Riiiiiggggghhhhhtttttt. You're against a free market in currency? You believe that people smart enough to recognize, for example, that the Thai Gov't was unsustainably propping up the baht and took advantage of it are criminals?

How do you feel about the banks who manipulated the LIBOR rate? How do you feel about Goldman Sachs and the blatant manipulation they've done to the markets and precipitating the financial crisis? Why do those people, who have already been caught illegally trading and whose actions definitely caused the financial crisis, get a pass? Why only Soros? And was anything he did illegal?

Just now, Jingthing said:

Not as funny as your post. Turn us all into trans-humans? OK. Enough. Ba-bye.

Do some research and you'll end up laughing  on the other side of your face.

Elon Musk and other Silicon Valley movers and shakers say we will need to become technology-enhanced "trans humans" in order to survive the robotics/AI revolution.

The transgender movement, with an ideology which contests the biological basis of our binary species, is being funded by a bunch of billionaires who include a trans woman who was once a US general and. . .  guess who?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/11/george-soros-the-money-behind-the-transgender-move/

Sweet dreams.

42 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Okay, so you're saying that, had Soros seen the weakness of the Sterling and Baht positions and decided "don't want to hurt all them lil' people", then nothing bad would have happened to the Sterling and Baht, no other major investor/shark would have noticed the weakness and moved to take advantage of it, and things would have been all just fine eventually as the British and Thai Governments implemented policy to shore up their financial weakness as governments always act in the best interest of their people and would never artificially mess with their currencies for their own benefit. 

Uh huh. Write back when you have gained a bit of understanding about capitalism and the free market. If Soros is so brilliant that he's the only guy who could see it and act upon it, then you have to give the devil his due, he used the system legally to make an enormous amount of money. If he was just the first of several who would have seen and done the same thing, then the next guy who realized it would be the one who did it. If he had a pang of conscience (something we know many financiers are prone to), then the third guy would have faced this oh-so-difficult dilemma. Soros was just one of the many horses in the race that he won.

Just now, JCauto said:

Riiiiiggggghhhhhtttttt. You're against a free market in currency? You believe that people smart enough to recognize, for example, that the Thai Gov't was unsustainably propping up the baht and took advantage of it are criminals?

How do you feel about the banks who manipulated the LIBOR rate? How do you feel about Goldman Sachs and the blatant manipulation they've done to the markets and precipitating the financial crisis? Why do those people, who have already been caught illegally trading and whose actions definitely caused the financial crisis, get a pass? Why only Soros? And was anything he did illegal?

What makes you think I loathe the bankers any less than our George? If you really believe currency markets are free, read Carroll Quigley's Tragedy and Hope and/or Edward Griffin's The Creature From Jekyll Island.

Just now, Krataiboy said:

What makes you think I loathe the bankers any less than our George? If you really believe currency markets are free, read Carroll Quigley's Tragedy and Hope and/or Edward Griffin's The Creature From Jekyll Island.

Precisely my point. Okay, you loathe the bankers. How many angry posts have you made about them? How is it that Soros is the boogeyman rather than, oh, the Wall Street firms and Banks that caused and made massive profits from the financial crisis and then lobbied to remove any rules that would prevent them from doing it all over again? Or was that Soros too? And with respect to Soros and the currency issues, is it your position that had he not existed the next guy to notice would not have done the exact same thing?

Just now, JCauto said:

Okay, so you're saying that, had Soros seen the weakness of the Sterling and Baht positions and decided "don't want to hurt all them lil' people", then nothing bad would have happened to the Sterling and Baht, no other major investor/shark would have noticed the weakness and moved to take advantage of it, and things would have been all just fine eventually as the British and Thai Governments implemented policy to shore up their financial weakness as governments always act in the best interest of their people and would never artificially mess with their currencies for their own benefit. 

Uh huh. Write back when you have gained a bit of understanding about capitalism and the free market. If Soros is so brilliant that he's the only guy who could see it and act upon it, then you have to give the devil his due, he used the system legally to make an enormous amount of money. If he was just the first of several who would have seen and done the same thing, then the next guy who realized it would be the one who did it. If he had a pang of conscience (something we know many financiers are prone to), then the third guy would have faced this oh-so-difficult dilemma. Soros was just one of the many horses in the race that he won.

I doubt your understanding of capitalism and the free market is any greater than mine. But our definition of what constitutes a philanthropist is clearly very different.

1 minute ago, Krataiboy said:

I doubt your understanding of capitalism and the free market is any greater than mine. But our definition of what constitutes a philanthropist is clearly very different.

I agree with your initial sentence, although I fail to see how it relates to my point. My point was "why Soros?" when:

1. Any other financier/capitalist who noticed what Soros did would have done exactly the same thing, and had he not done it the next one who did would have. Therefore the ultimate blame for the currency "manipulation" was the governments whose policies weakened their currencies who then decided to artificially prop them up when they didn't have the finances and political will to sustain it. That's capitalism. I'm not a big fan of untrammeled or unregulated capitalism, and certainly not in favour of crony capitalism, but that's the way things are currently working.

2. I haven't talked about philanthropy even once. So you haven't the slightest idea what I define it to be.

Just now, JCauto said:

Precisely my point. Okay, you loathe the bankers. How many angry posts have you made about them? How is it that Soros is the boogeyman rather than, oh, the Wall Street firms and Banks that caused and made massive profits from the financial crisis and then lobbied to remove any rules that would prevent them from doing it all over again? Or was that Soros too? And with respect to Soros and the currency issues, is it your position that had he not existed the next guy to notice would not have done the exact same thing?

The answer to your first question is: lots, on this forum and on many others and in many newspapers. 

It is pointless to speculate on whether someone else might have so cunningly and callously toppled the pound and the baht - acts clearly motivated by nothing more noble than personal greed.

Many bloated capitalists have traditionally sought to burnish their image, as well as expand their wealth and influence, by becoming "philanthropists" once they have made their pile. Mr Soros is one of the most obvious contemporary examples of the genre.

36 minutes ago, JCauto said:

I agree with your initial sentence, although I fail to see how it relates to my point. My point was "why Soros?" when:

1. Any other financier/capitalist who noticed what Soros did would have done exactly the same thing, and had he not done it the next one who did would have. Therefore the ultimate blame for the currency "manipulation" was the governments whose policies weakened their currencies who then decided to artificially prop them up when they didn't have the finances and political will to sustain it. That's capitalism. I'm not a big fan of untrammeled or unregulated capitalism, and certainly not in favour of crony capitalism, but that's the way things are currently working.

2. I haven't talked about philanthropy even once. So you haven't the slightest idea what I define it to be.

1 See my reply to your earlier posting.

2. By any definition, in my view Soros falls short.

12 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

I'm sure Mr Soros would be grateful to learn that he still has at least one friend in the world. Keep up the good work.

It’s safe to say you are reflecting your own experience. It’s ok, pretend we are your friends ????

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

The answer to your first question is: lots, on this forum and on many others and in many newspapers. 

It is pointless to speculate on whether someone else might have so cunningly and callously toppled the pound and the baht - acts clearly motivated by nothing more noble than personal greed.

Many bloated capitalists have traditionally sought to burnish their image, as well as expand their wealth and influence, by becoming "philanthropists" once they have made their pile. Mr Soros is one of the most obvious contemporary examples of the genre.

What communist claptrap is that, "motivated by nothing more noble than personal greed"? That's the basis of capitalism right there that you're discarding so casually. Someone recognizing the opportunity and taking advantage of it by mobilizing capital and making an investment intended to result in profit. Do you think Cargill should sell rice at no profit because it would be selfish to otherwise profit? Or if they get a deal where they make more than usual, they should donate the excess because they're making too much which would be selfish? Do you think "nobility" comes into play for the vast majority of investors?

I do not, although I believe that there is some way forward in the future in which that will have to be incorporated into the prevailing economic system. This was the basis for carbon taxation, that people who cause negative externalities with their economic activities have to pay to make them right. Doesn't seem very popular among capitalists though even though they accept it in numerous other situations.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

But he IS a philanthropist. Can you seriously refute that FACT? Of course you can't. You can hate on Soros all you want, that's your right, but you cannot refute that FACT. 

I despise anti-semitism, and I like your posts. But come on now. An 88 year-old man giving all but $8 Billion away to a foundation that he set up himself isn't being philantropic, he's getting his financial affairs in order.

You may be interested to know that Tony Blair is also considered to be a philantropist - he even won the GQ Philantropist of the Year award in 2014:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/gq-defends-decision-to-name-tony-blair-philanthropist-of-the-year-9711228.html

Archived