Explosive device found at home of George Soros - New York Times

webfact

2 hours ago, nkg said:

I despise anti-semitism, and I like your posts. But come on now. An 88 year-old man giving all but $8 Billion away to a foundation that he set up himself isn't being philantropic, he's getting his financial affairs in order.

You may be interested to know that Tony Blair is also considered to be a philantropist - he even won the GQ Philantropist of the Year award in 2014:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/gq-defends-decision-to-name-tony-blair-philanthropist-of-the-year-9711228.html

The reason all these billionaires have foundations is so they can put all their money somewhere and never pay taxes on it. Then they use the foundations for political power. It is not philanthropy, although some philanthropy is required as cover, it is how the system was setup by the elite to protect the elite from taxation.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, JCauto said:

What communist claptrap is that, "motivated by nothing more noble than personal greed"? That's the basis of capitalism right there that you're discarding so casually. Someone recognizing the opportunity and taking advantage of it by mobilizing capital and making an investment intended to result in profit. Do you think Cargill should sell rice at no profit because it would be selfish to otherwise profit? Or if they get a deal where they make more than usual, they should donate the excess because they're making too much which would be selfish? Do you think "nobility" comes into play for the vast majority of investors?

I do not, although I believe that there is some way forward in the future in which that will have to be incorporated into the prevailing economic system. This was the basis for carbon taxation, that people who cause negative externalities with their economic activities have to pay to make them right. Doesn't seem very popular among capitalists though even though they accept it in numerous other situations.

I agree that capitalists whose lust for profit produces "negative externalities" should be made to pay. How much do you think Soros should be made to cough up for the damage he inflicted through his destruction of the pound (where he reportedly made a billion dollars in a single day) and the baht?

12 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

I agree that capitalists whose lust for profit produces "negative externalities" should be made to pay. How much do you think Soros should be made to cough up for the damage he inflicted through his destruction of the pound (where he reportedly made a billion dollars in a single day) and the baht?

I see nothing he did there that wasn't within the rules, and I pointed out in another post where the fault for those currency devaluations lies - with the governments who made poor decisions and cost their people a large amount of money. If you have a beef with the Banks for the LIBOR manipulation and any other number of things, I'm completely with you. How many billion did they make with that? But that was unfortunately yet another example of their being able to avoid proportionate punishment for breaking the law and profiting individually and institutionally by doing so. Let me ask you - if Soros stayed away, would the Thai Baht be 25 Baht still today? How long would it have taken for the inevitable devaluation of the Baht to occur? Your argument makes no sense from an economic point of view. 

Should there be stricter rules in the banking, commodities trading, financial markets and other big money enterprises? Of course, they've already crashed the economy once and continue to threaten the current one like a gigantic black cloud. But they not only avoided any serious sanction, they've already managed to further water down the already too weak rules that were put in place to prevent a re-occurrence. That's why the most important thing to me in Western politics is to get money out of politics to the maximum extent possible. It's turned into just another market to conquer. Soros and his influence is nothing compared to the banks, the money he controls is peanuts compared to they and the Koch Bros, Sheldon Adelson or any other number of Right-Wing Rich Dudes doing similar things for what they believe in. The reason people focus on him is they want to have a Leftie Boogeyman to blame.

1 hour ago, JCauto said:

I see nothing he did there that wasn't within the rules, and I pointed out in another post where the fault for those currency devaluations lies - with the governments who made poor decisions and cost their people a large amount of money. If you have a beef with the Banks for the LIBOR manipulation and any other number of things, I'm completely with you. How many billion did they make with that? But that was unfortunately yet another example of their being able to avoid proportionate punishment for breaking the law and profiting individually and institutionally by doing so. Let me ask you - if Soros stayed away, would the Thai Baht be 25 Baht still today? How long would it have taken for the inevitable devaluation of the Baht to occur? Your argument makes no sense from an economic point of view. 

Should there be stricter rules in the banking, commodities trading, financial markets and other big money enterprises? Of course, they've already crashed the economy once and continue to threaten the current one like a gigantic black cloud. But they not only avoided any serious sanction, they've already managed to further water down the already too weak rules that were put in place to prevent a re-occurrence. That's why the most important thing to me in Western politics is to get money out of politics to the maximum extent possible. It's turned into just another market to conquer. Soros and his influence is nothing compared to the banks, the money he controls is peanuts compared to they and the Koch Bros, Sheldon Adelson or any other number of Right-Wing Rich Dudes doing similar things for what they believe in. The reason people focus on him is they want to have a Leftie Boogeyman to blame.

Soros is a pea from the same pod as the rest of the wealthy elite which control the levers of global political power - the Network as Carroll Quigley calls them in his detailed expose, Tragedy and Hope.  

Irrespective of whether Soros works within the financial markets' notoriously porous rules, his lust for fortune and fame ("I fancied myself as some kind of god," he once wrote) have caused a great deal of chaos and misery which belie his "philanthropist" label. 

I agree that there is a need to curb the political influence of the financial elite - starting with the meddling globalist billionaire behind the scurrilous campaign to overturn the Brexit referendum result.

20 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Soros is a pea from the same pod as the rest of the wealthy elite which control the levers of global political power - the Network as Carroll Quigley calls them in his detailed expose, Tragedy and Hope.  

Irrespective of whether Soros works within the financial markets' notoriously porous rules, his lust for fortune and fame ("I fancied myself as some kind of god," he once wrote) have caused a great deal of chaos and misery which belie his "philanthropist" label. 

I agree that there is a need to curb the political influence of the financial elite - starting with the meddling globalist billionaire behind the scurrilous campaign to overturn the Brexit referendum result.

Is "globalist" meant to be something negative??

8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The reason all these billionaires have foundations is so they can put all their money somewhere and never pay taxes on it. Then they use the foundations for political power. It is not philanthropy, although some philanthropy is required as cover, it is how the system was setup by the elite to protect the elite from taxation.

You're description sounds eerily familiar. Very much like that bankruptcy king that's (too) often in the news. Now, what's his name........

3 minutes ago, Becker said:

You're description sounds eerily familiar. Very much like that bankruptcy king that's (too) often in the news. Now, what's his name........

They all do it, it has nothing to do what side your on. This is what you do when you have ridiculous amounts of money.

2 hours ago, Becker said:

Would he be an American guy with sort of carroty coloured hair and lives in a big house in Washington USA? 

The name is on the tip of my tongue but it tasted awful so I spat it out.

Nah, its gone again.

21 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Clinton’s, Barack Obama and Time Warner/CNN offices also been targeted...

Now I wonder what the political leanings are of anyone who would choose those targets?

'Explosive device' sent to Hillary Clinton and Obama http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45969100

Words of Maxine Waters and Corey Booker coming back to bite them in the ass. Some people decided to quit playing around, and get serious enough take it to the next level.

The apparent attempts at terrorist bombings were absolutely predictable

If you thought that Democrats want to force the entire country to starve and then allow MS-13 gang members to come to your community so they can kill you and your family — which, because we have to keep repeating this, is literally what Trump says — then why wouldn’t you feel that any possible means, including violence, should be employed to stop them? It’s only self-defense.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2018/10/24/the-apparent-attempts-at-terrorist-bombings-were-absolutely-predictable/

Conspiracy posts and replies removed.   Continue with off-topic deflections and unsubstantiated claims and you will face a suspension.   One person is now in the no-posting-box for a while.  

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Clinton’s, Barack Obama and Time Warner/CNN offices also been targeted...

Now I wonder what the political leanings are of anyone who would choose those targets?

'Explosive device' sent to Hillary Clinton and Obama http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45969100

how do you really know who did what until someone is caught and confesses. These days anyone can do anything just to fashion a certain narrative.

There is no doubt in my mind, that Trump is dividing the nation, encouraging hatred and division, and lending moral support to extremists in the US, like the supremacist idiots. Some of that is going to be felt by individuals feeling like they have license to act out, and do stupid stuff. Thankfully nobody was hurt, yet.

Trump is the ultimate divider of men. He has such hatred in his heart, that it just manifests itself in ugly, partisan statements, that cannot help but be interpreted by some of his devotees, as a call to arms, and alot of animosity towards foreigners. Some of the recent numskull racists that have been caught on video, telling off Latino, black, or Asian people in restaurants or on the street is pretty despicable and ugly. The divider in chief is largely responsible for sowing hatred and encouraging these fools.

America. Once a great nation. Not anymore. And it is not getting great again. Not gonna happen.

33 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

how do you really know who did what until someone is caught and confesses. These days anyone can do anything just to fashion a certain narrative.

I certainly know that no one who was sent a bomb was involved. 

I also do not believe they were done to discredit the alt right...

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There is no doubt in my mind, that Trump is dividing the nation, encouraging hatred and division, and lending moral support to extremists in the US, like the supremacist idiots. Some of that is going to be felt by individuals feeling like they have license to act out, and do stupid stuff. Thankfully nobody was hurt, yet.

Thankfully nobody was hurt .The nation was divided before PT!

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Alexander Soros lays the blame --

Life is getting too complex! We were familiar with situations such as anti-Zionists (or anti-likoud) who were not antisemitic.  And now there is Trump who is pro-Israel but could also be antisemitic? I got a headache....

4 hours ago, riclag said:

Thankfully nobody was hurt .The nation was divided before PT!

True. But most did not feel they had license to express their hatred. Tiny Don has given them that with his constant racist rants, his hatred of everyone brown and his daily nonsensical diatribes. He is a truly unstable non genius. 

Archived