Alcohol sales forbidden on October 24 for end of Buddhist Lent

webfact

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

So is gambling, yet pretty much any monastery permits the sale of lottery tickets on its premises at any time of the year.

Oh, and selling allegedly "magic" amulets to the gullible in order to turn hefty profits is also considered a sin, but alas, it doesn't prevent temples from engaging in this most lucrative trade under the flimsy disguise of "giving believers a chance to make religious merit".

Hypocrisy with a capital 'H'

Although most residents are not known for their planning skills, even the floatiest will have ensured a stock or a friendly outlet for their supplies.

So the people this will really hit are the tourists and the workers in the beer bars, who will risk their livelihoods if they serve or consume a drink. Well done Thailand for killing the cash cows and damaging the poor in one hit.

No one is forcing devout Buddhists to drink on this day, like no one forces Muslims to eat pork, but even in the Middle East, non-Muslims can buy both.  Why doesn't the same rule apply under this secular state?

9 hours ago, poohy said:

Too true

And rest assured our village shop will sell probably sell twice as much as a normal day 

It is only for one day the ban right for alcohol in Wednesday October 24 or forever.

9 hours ago, poohy said:

Too true

And rest assured our village shop will sell probably sell twice as much as a normal 

15 hours ago, nopsled said:

It's one day.  Does it really matter?

it does if you live of it many shops and bars are run by thais who needs the money every day thats 1

2 no money for unemployed 

3 not 100%free medical 

4 no free schools you can say you get what you pay for except from international they are not worth the money

its matters as all who live here all the time needs to get as much money every day as possibly 

and why not close all hotels and let the turist sleep outside you see either you close all shops or none 

secondly if you do you must compensate 

now bar alcohol shops must pay rent and work without being able to get paid for it nobody want too work for free 

who gonna pay the staff my wife have a bar she need some staff on a day like this

but she pay all staff but the drinks they loose 

other places staff loose it all 

it always matters when its about peoples income but im sure if you like you can compensate the staff for the lost income so it ok for them 

and you can learn what matters

16 hours ago, nopsled said:

It's one day.  Does it really matter?

...and it's easy enough to buy some beer or whatever. We all know that. But yes, on principle having a bunch of religious people foist their superstitious beliefs and values on others, then encourage citizens to 'dob in' offenders and potentially back up with legal sanctions- that does matter. 

20 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

So is gambling, yet pretty much any monastery permits the sale of lottery tickets on its premises at any time of the year.

Oh, and selling allegedly "magic" amulets to the gullible in order to turn hefty profits is also considered a sin, but alas, it doesn't prevent temples from engaging in this most lucrative trade under the flimsy disguise of "giving believers a chance to make religious merit".

Not sure which precepts you were reading?

All Buddhists live by the Five Moral Precepts which are refraining from:

• harming living things
  • taking what is not given
  • sexual misconduct
  • lying or gossip
  • taking intoxicating substances eg drugs or drink

Buddhist monks live by ten precepts. The ten precepts are the five precepts plus refraining from the following:

• taking substantial food after midday (from noon to dawn)
  • dancing, singing and music
  • use of garlands, perfumes and personal adornment like jewelery
  • use of luxurious beds and seats
  • accepting and holding money, gold or silver

8 minutes ago, certacito said:

All Buddhists live by the Five Moral Precepts which are refraining from:

• harming living things
  • taking what is not given
  • sexual misconduct
  • lying or gossip
  • taking intoxicating substances eg drugs or drink

Obviously none of the Thais I know are Buddhists then!!!!

15 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

1. Buddhism is not a religion.

2. It's Theravada Buddhism or Thai Buddhism here which is completely different and a mish mash of hocus pocus, animism and superstitious nonsense mixed in.

3. Buddha was not a diety thus pure Buddhism is not a religion. 

4. I don't like people telling me what I should or should not do for any length of time.

5. I don't drink every day so it won't affect me. 

6. Did I mention that Buddhism is not a religion in my humble opinion?

7. I am still a hansum man.

8. Where u go u go wit me my frien bar he sell?

9. Nope, still not a religion.

15 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

1. Buddhism is not a religion.

2. It's Theravada Buddhism or Thai Buddhism here which is completely different and a mish mash of hocus pocus, animism and superstitious nonsense mixed in.

Funny you should say that.

Did you know that the phrase "hocus pocus" used by magicians is a piss-take on "hoc est corpus meum" recited by RC Priests when they change the communion wafer into "literally, truly and substantially the body of Christ".

Their words.

16 minutes ago, rott said:

Funny you should say that.

Did you know that the phrase "hocus pocus" used by magicians is a piss-take on "hoc est corpus meum" recited by RC Priests when they change the communion wafer into "literally, truly and substantially the body of Christ".

Their words.

I can only find one reference to that and it was by John Tillotson, Archbishop of Canterbury in 1694, not a magician. He wrote "In all probability those common juggling words of hocus pocus are nothing else but a corruption of hoc est corpus, by way of ridiculous imitation of the priests of the Church of Rome in their trick of Transubstantiation."

BUT

In suggesting that both conjurers and Catholic priests were tricksters we can hardly view Archbishop Tillotson as an objective judge. There doesn't seem to be any substance in his supposition, which isn't supported by any evidence or other citations.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/hocus-pocus.html

Here we go again with the closet and overt alcoholics who cannot survive even one day without imbibing. Geez. If you don't want to give your liver a rest, why can't you you simply stock up a day or two ahead of the ban? Or have you killed so many brain cells you can't even remember to do that?

I enjoy a whisky or two myself, so put a hold on the accusations of being a wowser.

20 hours ago, GLewis said:

It can a good friend planned his wedding party months in advance. Hundreds of people both Thai and farang. Not so happy when the hotel announced they could not serve alcohol. Let me tell you all were quite upset at this turn of events..

I'm sorry, but your good friend should have done a bit of research. And his/her Thai friends should have known better.

This is not a one-off.

Everybody knows the last day of Buddhist Lent has an alcohol sale ban for years. Happens every year.

Plan around it. Like one day before or after.

Not rocket science. No sympathy.

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Here we go again with the closet and overt alcoholics who cannot survive even one day without imbibing. Geez. If you don't want to give your liver a rest, why can't you you simply stock up a day or two ahead of the ban? Or have you killed so many brain cells you can't even remember to do that?

I enjoy a whisky or two myself, so put a hold on the accusations of being a wowser.

I think you've missed the point. This has nothing to do with that totally unsubstantiated generalisation you made; there is a principle at stake.

1 hour ago, certacito said:

I can only find one reference to that and it was by John Tillotson, Archbishop of Canterbury in 1694, not a magician. He wrote "In all probability those common juggling words of hocus pocus are nothing else but a corruption of hoc est corpus, by way of ridiculous imitation of the priests of the Church of Rome in their trick of Transubstantiation."

BUT

In suggesting that both conjurers and Catholic priests were tricksters we can hardly view Archbishop Tillotson as an objective judge. There doesn't seem to be any substance in his supposition, which isn't supported by any evidence or other citations.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/hocus-pocus.html

From The Irish Times 21/04/2007, an item by Bernard J McGuckian SJ.

Hocus Pocus is a derogatory 16th century anti-catholic neologism intended as a mockery of "hoc est enim corpus meum" (This is my body).

Archived