Alcohol sales forbidden on October 24 for end of Buddhist Lent

webfact

Ok, cool. How about near Khao San. 

There may be a few bars/restaurants serving after 24:00 but I cant imagine anyone will dare sell any alcohol under the table there, since police are literally there watching. From what I remember around that area, I think you’ll have to go a bit far from there to find a shop, but I could be wrong, its been a while. If there’s anyone who could help you it has to be tuktuk drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say, know anywhere to buy beer in Bangkok? I was completely unaware of this Buddhist lent alcohol ban. I went out tonight and rode a bus for a half hour down to the bars and then I found out. It was pretty hilarious, but I still feel like smashing a cold Singha 22. How about after midnight? I was told on Sukhumvit that they would serve beer in bars after midnight, but some people online are saying it's not happening. 
Go to soi 7.5 either the Ozzie bar or the bar directly the mirrored table opposite usually sell as the mamsan has run them both but she is in the Ozzie bar now

Also in soi 13 there are a few beer bars at the trendy complex that serve.
Mind you I can't guarantee it but previous lents they always have

The very first bar as you enter soi cowboy opposite country roads has always sold especially this close to midnight

1 minute ago, blackhorse said:

Go to soi 7.5 either the Ozzie bar or the bar directly the mirrored table opposite usually sell as the mamsan has run them both but she is in the Ozzie bar now

Also in soi 13 there are a few beer bars at the trendy complex that serve.
Mind you I can't guarantee it but previous lents they always have

The very first bar as you enter soi cowboy opposite country roads has always sold especially this close to midnight

Awesome, thanks!

4 minutes ago, HOAX said:

There may be a few bars/restaurants serving after 24:00 but I cant imagine anyone will dare sell any alcohol under the table there, since police are literally there watching. From what I remember around that area, I think you’ll have to go a bit far from there to find a shop, but I could be wrong, its been a while. If there’s anyone who could help you it has to be tuktuk drivers.

Tuktuk drivers, good call. At least I won't end up at a gem show this time of night.

Tuktuk drivers, good call. At least I won't end up at a gem show this time of night.
Haha expect a detour to some fish bowl massage parlor with a hundred girls displayed. And all for the ridiculously low fee of happy hour 5k. No tuk Tuk driver will by pass this drive buy opportunity [emoji16]

On 10/23/2018 at 11:35 AM, webfact said:

He said police would strictly enforce the ban, which is imposed in line with an announcement of the Office of the Prime Minister and the Alcohol Control Act. According to the announcement, no alcoholic sale shall be allowed on religious days. 

Anyone know, specifically, what the actual law is you would be charged with and fined under?  What section or article in the Alcohol Control Act can be activated and deactivated by the Prime Minister via memo, to, a few times a year, punish bad Buddhists?   

Where's Lurch when you need him?  You know, Lurch - that freaky looking, bald headed Thai internet lawyer! ????

Haha expect a detour to some fish bowl massage parlor with a hundred girls displayed. And all for the ridiculously low fee of happy hour 5k. No tuk Tuk driver will by pass this drive buy opportunity [emoji16]

No not at all. Just ask them if they know anywhere they sell beer now. I’ve done it plenty of times in bkk and elsewhere they’ll take you to where you’ll get what you want. Just spend a minute to explain EXACTLY what you want and they’ll know and get it done for you. I’ve never even once had anyone taking me to something nonsense like gemshop or fishbowl massage place lol You had me cracking there but no, not even once after being here for over 8 years.

No not at all. Just ask them if they know anywhere they sell beer now. I’ve done it plenty of times in bkk and elsewhere they’ll take you to where you’ll get what you want. Just spend a minute to explain EXACTLY what you want and they’ll know and get it done for you. I’ve never even once had anyone taking me to something nonsense like gemshop or fishbowl massage place lol You had me cracking there but no, not even once after being here for over 8 years.

Lucky you. It was the very first thing I fell for on my very first trip after booking a hotel in the middle of nowhere.. I was a sitting duck!

I think it was 3k but it was a long time ago. At least I did get a free beer with it lol

Damn, lucky you! I get that all the time. That's why I don't mess with tuk tuk drivers anymore. Sometimes I'll explain exactly where I want to go and agree on a price, then when we are already driving he starts trying to divert the trip and sell me on some nonsense, like a massage shop or gem show. Some will back down after an annoying debate, but some will just stop the tuk tuk and refuse to continue. I just had that happen 7 weeks ago. Haven't taken a tuk tuk since. 

Damn, lucky you! I get that all the time. That's why I don't mess with tuk tuk drivers anymore. Sometimes I'll explain exactly where I want to go and agree on a price, then when we are already driving he starts trying to divert the trip and sell me on some nonsense, like a massage shop or gem show. Some will back down after an annoying debate, but some will just stop the tuk tuk and refuse to continue. I just had that happen 7 weeks ago. Haven't taken a tuk tuk since. 
The hotel I booked was so far out of town it took me 20 mins of walking just to get out of what appeared to be an industrial estate to the main rd where I flagged down a tuk Tuk and asked him to take me to a bar... Lol seriously who does that?

I still remember his fat frog [emoji196] face broadening into a huge grin

I agree if you’re a backpacker or acting like one, but if you’ve been here a while you’ll learn the basics, like how to use conversation and body language to your benefit, even better than some locals. If you haven’t then the best tip is just to clearly let them know you don’t want to go to a gemshop, a massage place or anywhere else. Let him know you won’t pay or have time for that shit. I used to say that like 5-6 years ago. They’re affiliates of these places. Let them suspect/know you know that and you’re not the guy they can play around with. No need to make them mad or anything, just get the message out and quickly turn the conversation over to giving him personal attention, and body language like happiness, mild charm and longer eye contact like you’re in control, is important, even if he’s that grumpy type of a guy, which few tuktuk drivers seems to be. They’ll even understand it as a first impression once you get it. It just becomes automatic, like an imaginary aura or something. Today I don’t even have to put up an act or anything.

Anyway, we all have different personalities and looks to our advantage/disadvantage but the basics still apply.

Only the few pay much attention, and adhere to, these so called special alcohol restriction observances. 

More so in rural situations than heavily populated areas. 

Nothing to do with anything.

Bit of an image creating lark.

On 10/24/2018 at 7:43 PM, Lacessit said:

What principle? We are guests in Thailand. Is it too much for them to expect we should respect their laws and customs? We would certainly expect it of them in our countries of origin.

Such a storm in a teacup over something which should not even be an inconvenience to anyone rational. Bloody pathetic.

The principle of 'live and let live'. Much as I despise religion and superstition, I don't interfere with their customs and ideas because I respect Thais as fellow human beings who like me are just trying to get on with their lives as they see best. And I'm guessing that the vast majority of Thais couldn't care less if sitting at home I drink a hundred beers on the day. No, it's the heavy-handed religious practice by edict that boils my urine!  Anyhow, here's hoping you enjoyed the day! ????

Archived