Alcohol sales forbidden on October 24 for end of Buddhist Lent

webfact

By The Nation

8179c016f9ffe8c7a57bff8d8bc89928.jpeg

Sales of alcohol will be strictly prohibited this Wednesday, October 24, which marks the end of Buddhist Lent this year. 

Offenders will face a Bt10,000 fine and/or a six-month jail term.

“The ban on alcoholic sale applies to both shops and restaurants, retailing and wholesaling,” the Royal Thai Police deputy spokesman Pol Colonel Krissana Pattanacharoen said on Tuesday. 

He said police would strictly enforce the ban, which is imposed in line with an announcement of the Office of the Prime Minister and the Alcohol Control Act. According to the announcement, no alcoholic sale shall be allowed on religious days.

Alcohol consumption is considered a sin in Buddhist belief.

According to Krissana, police plan to check on restaurants, karaoke parlours, and convenience stores based at petrol stations to ensure compliance with the rules. 

Krissana also asked for tip-offs from the public. “If you find anyone or any place violating the ban, please alert police by calling 191 or 1559. Our hotlines operate round the clock,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30357002

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-23

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, webfact said:

He said police would strictly enforce the ban

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

They had better check absolutely everywhere then.

One year, during an alcohol ban, I went to have a haircut and foot massage. I was given a beer for free. It was probably built in to the price, so not sold separately.

15 minutes ago, DM07 said:

...and again, religious zealots tell everybody else what to do and to spy and tell on your neighbors! 3rd world and forever will be!

1st world version: a bunch overzealous activists tell everybody else what to do and to spy and tell on your neighbors!

32 minutes ago, webfact said:

So is gambling, yet pretty much any monastery permits the sale of lottery tickets on its premises at any time of the year.

Oh, and selling allegedly "magic" amulets to the gullible in order to turn hefty profits is also considered a sin, but alas, it doesn't prevent temples from engaging in this most lucrative trade under the flimsy disguise of "giving believers a chance to make religious merit".

1 minute ago, Misterwhisper said:

So is gambling, yet pretty much any monastery permits the sale of lottery tickets on its premises at any time of the year.

Oh, and selling allegedly "magic" amulets to the gullible in order to turn hefty profits is also considered a sin, but alas, it doesn't prevent temples from engaging in this most lucrative trade under the flimsy disguise of "giving believers a chance to make religious merit".

Or rather, to make "ridiculous profit for Buddhism (Thailand) Inc."

45 minutes ago, webfact said:

Well this won't trouble them too much. I've yet to meet anyone in this country who genuinely practices Buddhism, other than monks. And their practice is somewhat dubious.

I fully expect sales and consumption to increase in our village on this 'auspicious' day.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Krissana also asked for tip-offs from the public. “If you find anyone or any place violating the ban, please alert police by calling 191 or 1559. Our hotlines operate round the clock,” he said.

Hey Mr. "Blockwart" that's a great idea to finally get rid of my idiot neighbors and I will even inform the kids in the hood to spy on their parents if they commit the sin to drink alcohol.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"Alcohol sales forbidden on October 24 for end of Buddhist Lent..." <official policy>

...depending on where you live in Thailand. <reality>

32 minutes ago, connda said:

"Alcohol sales forbidden on October 24 for end of Buddhist Lent..." <official policy>

...depending on where you live in Thailand. <reality>

Too true

And rest assured our village shop will sell probably sell twice as much as a normal day 

19 minutes ago, nopsled said:

It's one day.  Does it really matter?

It can a good friend planned his wedding party months in advance. Hundreds of people both Thai and farang. Not so happy when the hotel announced they could not serve alcohol. Let me tell you all were quite upset at this turn of events..

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I don't drink alcools but I'm sure all the minimarts in my village will sell alcools tomorrow;

in my village and in all the villages in Thailand.

Police never come in the little villages in Thailand .

They always come often to see us in the village I live in and tomorrow will be no exception and it will also be no exception for them to enjoy a few beers with me that I will buy, as normal, from the village shop opposite my house.  They go almost house to house and how the hell they get back  to their main police station without driving of the road after drinking so much goodness knows.

2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

killing animals also 

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I don't drink alcools but I'm sure all the minimarts in my village will sell alcools tomorrow;

That's always been the case, I guess it's their chance to really make money in competition with 7/11 

3 hours ago, DM07 said:

...and again, religious zealots tell everybody else what to do and to spy and tell on your neighbors! 3rd world and forever will be!

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

And rest assured,  Buddhist Lent or any other day dicated as special by any  religion will not stop those so called "religious" Monks or Catholic priests from abusing children irrespective of whether they drink alcohol  or not  on any day of the week, special or not.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

... and convenience stores based at petrol stations ... 

Shall we tell him that stores at petrol stations haven't been permitted to sell alcohol for a considerable time?

Nah, whilst they're bugging shops that never sell alcohol they're leaving the local Mom-and-Pop places alone.

Brain 150 ,,, that's a bit over the top.

If a country decides they wish to do this then they can & will.

It has nothing to do with treating you like a child which sounds like you are.

I was raised in 3 countries where bars closed on Good Friday, Easter Sunday & Christmas day at least

It is up to them not you

3 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I live in a hamlet, not even a village ( 10 houses ) ; two years ago, three policement came to arrest in his mother's house a young guy who sold ya ba and took him to jail about 6 months 

I saw it myself, live 

4 minutes ago, Aforek said:

I live in a hamlet, not even a village ( 10 houses ) ; two years ago, three policement came to arrest in his mother's house a young guy who sold ya ba and took him to jail about 6 months 

I saw it myself, live 

Ok here is a clue. The topic is about selling and consuming alcohol tomorrow.  YABA is a synthetic drug.   Now keep up and follow the story ????

Archived