Alcohol sales forbidden on October 24 for end of Buddhist Lent

webfact

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Gambling, smoking, cheating, raping and beating women and children, abusing old people. Aren't these also frowned upon by good Buddhists?.

Actually no, just a normal sporting activity until they get caught.  But it is not restricted to Buddhists. Nearly all religions have similar pastimes

43 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Ok here is a clue. The topic is about selling and consuming alcohol tomorrow.  YABA is a synthetic drug.   Now keep up and follow the story ????

Although off topic regarding yaba, the guy you quoted was responding to a post

saying that the police never visit any villages in Thailand, this is the way forum 

exchanges evolve.

Those people who cannot get through a day without consuming alcohol, surely it 

makes sense to buy in bulk, rather than popping into a store daily, I'm sure it would

work out cheaper and you could ensure you always have a beverage on hand for such

"emergencies"

3 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Although off topic regarding yaba, the guy you quoted was responding to a post

saying that the police never visit any villages in Thailand, this is the way forum 

exchanges evolve.

Those people who cannot get through a day without consuming alcohol, surely it 

makes sense to buy in bulk, rather than popping into a store daily, I'm sure it would

work out cheaper and you could ensure you always have a beverage on hand for such

"emergencies"

And if you had even a modicum of understanding of Thai village life you would be well aware that 90% of those could not afford to buy alcohol, milk or anything else in bulk in order to get it cheaper so hence are solely reliant on village stores for their everyday needs and many get things on "tick"  until they can afford to pay.

2 hours ago, GLewis said:

It can a good friend planned his wedding party months in advance. Hundreds of people both Thai and farang. Not so happy when the hotel announced they could not serve alcohol. Let me tell you all were quite upset at this turn of events..

If your good friend is marrying a Thai and they are organising the do, it would be likely

that they were given advice on an auspicious day to tie the knot, and this date is quite

high up on the religious spectrum.

9 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

And if you had even a modicum of understanding of Thai village life you would be well aware that 90% of those could not afford to buy alcohol, milk or anything else in bulk in order to get it cheaper so hence are solely reliant on village stores for their everyday needs and many get things on "tick"  until they can afford to pay.

Yes, but these folk would not whine on the internet about such matters...

I thought "lent" meant you refrained from indulging in certain religious based things. Surely the "end" of lent should mean that a celebration should take place, not a restriction of celebration, after all there should have been no celebrating during the lent period, it is catch up time for what you have missed.

In my "logic" that means we should be celebrating and having a drink to "celebrate" the end of this lent!

PS: I know that the Buddhist way of life prohibits alcohol so it makes the whole selling/banning of alcohol in a Buddhist Country all the more ironic to me.????

Alcohol consumption is considered a sin in Buddhist belief.

Nonsense, booze being sold in each and every other Buddhist country around Thailand, being Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. 30 years ago there was no booze on royal holidays but plenty of the stuff on Buddhist days. Always a matter of who-is-who-on-the-banana-boat = show of force and in any case serving the lining of many endless deep pockets. 

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I thought "lent" meant you refrained from indulging in certain religious based things. Surely the "end" of lent should mean that a celebration should take place, not a restriction of celebration, after all there should have been no celebrating during the lent period, it is catch up time for what you have missed.

In my "logic" that means we should be celebrating and having a drink to "celebrate" the end of this lent!

PS: I know that the Buddhist way of life prohibits alcohol so it makes the whole selling/banning of alcohol in a Buddhist Country all the more ironic to me.????

The Buddhist way of life prohibits many things in its most strict interpretations. Thai people, however, being Thai, tend to favour the policy of doing wrong and making merit after to repent

It seems to work from their way of looking at it.

Just now, Scouse123 said:

The Buddhist way of life prohibits many things in its most strict interpretations. Thai people, however, being Thai, tend to favour the policy of doing wrong and making merit after to repent

It seems to work from their way of looking at it.

Which is exactly the point I am trying to make!

21 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Yes, but these folk would not whine on the internet about such matters...

100% agree with you and it is only those TVF members who have their heads stuck so far up their backsides that they can not comprehend real Thai village life who generally utter such absurd statements. Hence my earlier comment.

6 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

1. Buddhism is not a religion.

2. It's Theravada Buddhism or Thai Buddhism here which is completely different and a mish mash of hocus pocus, animism and superstitious nonsense mixed in.

3. Buddha was not a diety thus pure Buddhism is not a religion. 

4. I don't like people telling me what I should or should not do for any length of time.

5. I don't drink every day so it won't affect me. 

6. Did I mention that Buddhism is not a religion in my humble opinion?

7. I am still a hansum man.

8. Where u go u go wit me my frien bar he sell?

9. Nope, still not a religion.

Anywhere that has a font of Sangsom is a religion to me.

"Sales of alcohol will be strictly prohibited this Wednesday, October 24, which marks the end of Buddhist Lent this year. 

Offenders will face a Bt10,000 fine and/or a six-month jail term"

Religion as a good excuse for the harvest day???

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Alcohol consumption is considered a sin in Buddhist belief.

So what's with the Leo piss'eads sitting in the back of pickups every night in the sois!  They're obviously not Buddhists, then!  

That's hard to believe, although the loud music/base is certainly in keeping with Thai culture.

12 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's only the sale that's banned; buy your booze today and you'll be able to drink it tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

And it is that easy. Two cans of the foamy falling down water, one with lunch, one with dinner then a couple of GT's watching tv or reading doesn't take a mastermind brain to plan.

I don't like being told by anyone what I can't or cannot do on any given day, especially by religious forces but it's so easy to ignore and get around I don't have a problem.

Very rarely go to bars anyway, why pay 3 times the price for any beer that you can enjoy at home and have a more interesting and intelligent conversation with your german shepherd dog.

1. Buddhism is not a religion.

Religion, superstition, potato, po-tah-to.

Just like all the other superstitions in the world, people are going to pick and choose the bits that conform to their established behavior and ignore whatever is inconvenient.

Let’s call them Salad Bar Buddhists.

Archived