Radio Caroline - Is back ...

Crossy

... and broadcasting from MV Ross Revenge on 648m/1368kHz on the Medium-Wave band.

300px-MV_Ross_Revenge_2018_-_Radio_Carol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Ross_Revenge

Of course if you're outside the UK you will have to put up with an internet stream. 

http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#home.html

Plenty of ways to listen free or support the (no longer) pirates buy paying 1.99 for the Android/Apple App.

I was dragged up on a diet of Radios Caroline and Luxembourg, crackle, fizz, fade ...

8 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Excellent and to round it all off perhaps Tony blackburn can now go back to where he started never to be heard of again ????

I hate to admit it, but I do (occasionally) listen to The Golden Hour and Sounds of the Sixties on BBC Radio 2.

Tony B and Arnold still sound exactly as they did in the 60's, along with the music and Tony B.'s awful and multiply recycled jokes. 

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I hate to admit it, but I do (occasionally) listen to The Golden Hour and Sounds of the Sixties on BBC Radio 2.

Tony B and Arnold still sound exactly as they did in the 60's, along with the music and Tony B.'s awful and multiply recycled jokes. 

SOTS is now more like a request show. At least Brian Matthew told you interesting facts, Blackburn just goes on about his 'recordingg carreer' and when he bought particular records. Why do you need a moron introducing records these days, just download 'all the No 1s of the 60s or whatever you like, and put it on shuffle. Done. Or 208 medium wave with Horace Bachelor from Keynsham, spelt K E Y N S H A M, to nick your Littlewoods money!

So, I am but a stupid American.
But I have a friend in San Francisco who worked as a DJ on Laser 558 back in the 80's, so I get the whole North Sea pirate radio thing back in the day.

But that was then.

In the 21st century when almost anyone can stream high quality audio to a global audience, I just don't get why anyone would think that a ship transmitting a mediocre AM signal to a very limited audience would be a viable thing baffles me

Maybe I'm missing something?

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Maybe I'm missing something?

Nostalgia. And the fact that we Brits are just plain weird (to most of the planet) ????

They do have high-quality internet streams too.

My favorite was Radio Northsea International which also still has an internet stream. Their boat, Mebo II, was once firebombed live on air by an upset business rival. After the whole pirate radio scene faded, the boat was sold to Libya broadcasting as Radio Jamharia. After that closed, she ended up as a gunnery target for Qaddafi's navy offshore Libya, eventually sinking in the Gulf of Sidre.

58 minutes ago, Crossy said:

And the fact that we Brits are just plain weird (to most of the planet) ????

I may not disagree with that LOL

But as a lifetime Anglophile, I forgive you for all of it.

Even though I obviously couldn’t experience pirate radio, the shortwave BBC World Service (the old one, not the current wanna be 24 hour news service) introduced a poor hispanic boy in the California central valley to a world he could only imagine, and I credit it, with at least partially making me the man I ended up becoming

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:12 PM, wgdanson said:

SOTS is now more like a request show. At least Brian Matthew told you interesting facts, Blackburn just goes on about his 'recordingg carreer' and when he bought particular records. Why do you need a moron introducing records these days, just download 'all the No 1s of the 60s or whatever you like, and put it on shuffle. Done. Or 208 medium wave with Horace Bachelor from Keynsham, spelt K E Y N S H A M, to nick your Littlewoods money!

Brian Mathew was my next door neighbour in Orpington in the '60s. Kenny Everett was great fun and released a few records which launched hi TV career. I liked Radio Sutch, run by Screaming Lord Sutch from one of the medway forts. He gave bedtime readings from the Karma Sutra and the Perfumed Garden! When I moved to Nottingham I was supporting Heatwave Radio, which played Reggae music. It was constant battle to keep the authorities from seizing the transmitters and we lost at least 14 of them. Perhaps the new Radio Caroline is the ship used in the movie "The Boat That Rocked" (Also titled "Pirate Radio). I remember meeting Johnny Scott of Radio Northsea International who was living in Pattaya around 30 years ago.

6 hours ago, Estrada said:

Perhaps the new Radio Caroline is the ship used in the movie "The Boat That Rocked" (Also titled "Pirate Radio).

Although not filmed on board, the crew of the Ross Revenge (the final and current Caroline ship) were heavily involved in the movie production. See here:-

http://www.rossrevenge.co.uk/boatthatrocked/boatthatrocked.htm

On 10/25/2018 at 1:13 AM, GinBoy2 said:

Even though I obviously couldn’t experience pirate radio, the shortwave BBC World Service (the old one, not the current wanna be 24 hour news service) introduced a poor hispanic boy in the California central valley to a world he could only imagine, and I credit it, with at least partially making me the man I ended up becoming

There's a (verrrry old) joke about a missionary in Africa who encounters a black man in a tribe, and to the missionary' astonishment, when the man converses he interjects his words with crackles, and pops and whistles.

So the missionary says, "My word, your English really is excellent, where did you learn to speak it so well"?

"Short-wave radio", was the reply!

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Although not filmed on board, the crew of the Ross Revenge (the final and current Caroline ship) were heavily involved in the movie production. See here:-

http://www.rossrevenge.co.uk/boatthatrocked/boatthatrocked.htm

Brilliant film, written by Richard Curtis and starring Bill Nighy.

But... Crossy.... I hate to tell you but Caroline isn't back...it never went away on the 'net here Caroline ????

On 10/25/2018 at 12:13 AM, GinBoy2 said:

My 'fix' back then was Radio Caroline - the one off the Isle of Man - and Radio Luxembourg. I can remember quite a few DJ names from RL - Jack jackson, Pete Murray, Jimmy Savile, Brian Matthew - and the 'Yes-No' interlude (Take Your Pick) also on RL. But I can't remember any of the names of the DJs on Radio Caroline (North?).

But I do remember the music they played.

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Indeed, and that link was in my OP.

Yup - i'm not doing very well today.....sigh!  (Thanks for removing my cack-handed post - it's probably cos I woke up early to listen to Tony Blackburn.....lol ???? )

I just responded you your "is back" comment, cos I keep lists of all these independent stations (I will not refer to them as "pirates") and I know Caroline has been around on the 'net for several years.

12 minutes ago, khunken said:

My 'fix' back then was Radio Caroline - the one off the Isle of Man

Mine too (though thought it was off the other coast?) and I switched from Radio Luxemburg because my cheap Japanese pocket radio from Headquarters and General Supplies was not good enough to pick up an interference free signal!

17 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Mine too (though thought it was off the other coast?) and I switched from Radio Luxemburg because my cheap Japanese pocket radio from Headquarters and General Supplies was not good enough to pick up an interference free signal!

There were two Radio Carolines - one off the Isle of Man & the other off Felixstowe. The latter was the first one and it was later moved to the Irish Sea and another ship renamed Radio Caroline took over off Frinton-on- Sea. All according to Wikipedia.

On 10/27/2018 at 9:00 AM, fanjita said:

Who even owns a radio these days?  TuneIn Radio Pro was a fantastic purchase at 69p back in the day and now we're truly in the wireless age.  Great tech.

I’m with you on this one.

I can’t honestly remember the last time I listened to ‘real’ radio.

Tunein gives you a world of choices, from streamed broadcast stations to internet only stations. 

Now my radio listening tends to be 99% in the car, and the Tunein app has a great car mode, which seamlessly works with Google Maps, Phone & Messages.

3G & 4G are ubiquitous, the quality is great, and it’s hard to beat

Archived