Reporting adress after going abroad - condo agent says "no need"?

On 10/26/2018 at 5:54 AM, simoh1490 said:

Put it this way, Chiang Mai requires an address be reconfirmed following an overseas trip, as does Pattaya and that's what the law requires - the fact that some offices may not require it to be reported seems to be an anomaly.

Not sure about that last year went to Laos for a week didn't do a report and no problem with immigration as I went back to my old address. Unless what is required has changed I guess I will find out next month

45 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Not sure about that last year went to Laos for a week didn't do a report and no problem with immigration as I went back to my old address. Unless what is required has changed I guess I will find out next month

As I understand it the problem surfaces when it's time to renew/extend the visa. My agent emailed me when I was in the UK recently to remind me to drop off my passport when I returned so that he could update the TM30, for which there was no charge from the agent.

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

As I understand it the problem surfaces when it's time to renew/extend the visa. My agent emailed me when I was in the UK recently to remind me to drop off my passport when I returned so that he could update the TM30, for which there was no charge from the agent.

This matches my experience. When you re-enter the country but don't interact or want anything from an Immigration Office during your stay, the TM30 is ignored but if you go in, particularly for an extension, then immediately the Immigration Office has leverage with which to levy a fine. (i.e. you have no TM30, pay the fine or you don't get your extension.)

• Like 1

So best not to have any dealings with local immigration? I'll be renewing my visa's via the Embassy in London, the woman I spoke to at the Embassy said the next ME visa will have the restriction that I will have to leave the country every 90 days (would always be my plan anyway). So hopefully we won't need anything extension wise (unless airfare rise unexpectedly) from local immigration, or is there anything else that could be needed from them? 

but if you go in, particularly for an extension, then immediately the Immigration Office has leverage with which to levy a fine. (i.e. you have no TM30, pay the fine or you don't get your extension.)

Of course, as this is a 'cash cow', not a real means of keeping tabs on folks, which is adequately handled by TM6 and TM47 info. So be it.

And in CM, when returning to your original TM30 residence after a trip abroad, you don't need a new TM30, but need to get your original TM30 receipt updated, with another red meatball stamp affixed, complete with the last date of entry. And this is what is attached to your annual retirement extension renewal package.

But a trip to CM Immigration just to get a new meatball, what with parking, crowding problems, is not my idea of fun. Thus, I wonder, would my TM30 receipt, covered with red meatballs, be enough for the IO to 'check' that I have a TM30? Or would he look at all the meatballs for the one with the current TM6 date )or go in the computer)? Maybe I'll push that next time.....

But, as I use an agent, I suspect he'll be the one to scrutinize the package closer than the IO -- and advise I need a TM30 update (complete with fine).

Just contemplating out loud. Anyone from CM know how closely they scrutinized your TM30, with multiple meatballs, last time you renewed your extension? Thanx.

Hi guys, 

A follow up. The agent now agrees with me - after giving her the links - that registration at immigration should be done. However, she wants me to do it by myself. I accidentally said that this will happen two times more. 

I just downloaded TM30 and was about to fill it in. However, there's a couple of rows where the owner i supposed to write. How do I fill this one out myself? 

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2018 at 8:19 AM, mlkik said:

After returning from a trip to the UK I went to the Immigration department in Udon and they said it was not neccesary to report and to just count 90 days from arriving back and then do the 90 report.

Same for in the Thayang Phetchaburi province IO after returning last month from 4 months in the USA (not recommended incidentally). The people there know me as I always present in person on purpose, and told me just to do the 90 day report on time.

On 10/27/2018 at 12:21 PM, johnwf1963 said:

So best not to have any dealings with local immigration? I'll be renewing my visa's via the Embassy in London, the woman I spoke to at the Embassy said the next ME visa will have the restriction that I will have to leave the country every 90 days (would always be my plan anyway). So hopefully we won't need anything extension wise (unless airfare rise unexpectedly) from local immigration, or is there anything else that could be needed from them? 

Potentially yes, if you needed a residence certificate (for Land Transport Office, for opening a bank account, etc.) from the Immigration Office your lack of an updated TM-30 could be a problem resulting in a fine.

Edited by skatewash

On 10/29/2018 at 11:59 PM, aldriglikvid said:

Hi guys, 

A follow up. The agent now agrees with me - after giving her the links - that registration at immigration should be done. However, she wants me to do it by myself. I accidentally said that this will happen two times more. 

I just downloaded TM30 and was about to fill it in. However, there's a couple of rows where the owner i supposed to write. How do I fill this one out myself? 

You would fill in the information for the owner.  Here's where it might get complicated.  Some Immigration Offices may wish to see signed copies of the owner's ID card and tabian bahn (blue house registration book) for where the owner lives (basically, this confirms the identity of the owner).  Some Immigration Offices may go so far as to want a signed (and stamped) Power of Attorney to allow you to submit the TM-30.  So perhaps now you can see why your agent wasn't so quick to volunteer to do this for you.