UK pledges $9 million for demining

geovalin

The United Kingdom will provide more than $9 million in aid from this year to 2020 for demining operations to clear unexploded ordnance in Cambodia, UK Ambassador to Cambodia Tina Redshaw said on Wednesday. The announcement was made after Senior Minister Ly Thuch, first vice chairman of the Cambodian Mine Action and Victims Assistance Authority, and Ms Redshaw presided over the launch of a Department for International Development project to support mine action in Siem Reap province.

In a Facebook post on Wednesday, Mr Thuch thanked the UK government for its aid to support demining operations to save people’s lives and help develop Cambodia. “I request countries who are aid donors and development partners to continue providing aid to the mine action sector to help Cambodia successfully reach its goal of becoming mine-free in 2025,” he said.

On Wednesday afternoon Ms Tina and Mr Thuch also met with officials from three mine operations, HALO Trust, MAG, and NPA, and watched a presentation on demining work in Oddar Meanchey province’s O’Smach commune. They also met with families that received land from areas that were cleared of mines.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50544210/uk-pledges-9-million-for-demining/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 26/10

it's very nice for the British government to hand over 9m of tax payers money like this, I know there is no comparison between how a mine can damage lives and I am sure that Cambodia is grateful, however it is a bit galling that they keep dolling out money around the world when they need to sort out so many things at home.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a travesty.    I wonder if I could help do this in semi retirement?  No military experience.   To bad  there is no international law that mines and ordinance doesn't have a mandated bounty on them

Why doesn't Hun Sen put his hand in his pocket, he has stolen enough from the country's coffers.! 

After all, a large majority of landmines were laid by the Khmer Rouge, his former group of comrades and merry men; and many of them are still in the Cambodian government to this day. It was UXO that the USA was held to account on.

The problem with that country, no matter who is providing aid and expertise be it the EU, U.K. or U.S.A, unless they have monitors on the ground to control or direct aid and where it is going, especially if it's cash, it will get stolen.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2018 at 8:22 PM, Scouse123 said:

Why doesn't Hun Sen put his hand in his pocket, he has stolen enough from the country's coffers.! 

After all, a large majority of landmines were laid by the Khmer Rouge, his former group of comrades and merry men; and many of them are still in the Cambodian government to this day. It was UXO that the USA was held to account on.

The problem with that country, no matter who is providing aid and expertise be it the EU, U.K. or U.S.A, unless they have monitors on the ground to control or direct aid and where it is going, especially if it's cash, it will get stolen.

Now here's a guy that knows what he is talking about...........in a former life ( I )we chased the Khmer Rouge from PPenh to Kratie..........Chinese mines clearly outnumbered any of the US mines we found, especially the plastic Chicom P-II Grenades, and Bouncing Betty's.  True, the unexploded ordnance (UXO) 250-500 lb bombs from B-52 strikes are what we are responsible for, but most of the ones we dug up had not been armed correctly with the arming wire, so they didn;t explode when hitting the ground.  Halo Trust was by far the best demine'rs in Cambodia when I was there (2d tour) 97-99.  CMAC would take your money, and find one third of what Halo did on Princes Diana's dime.

• Like 1