Phuket: Warning for boats going to sea 

webfact

Warning for boats going to sea 

By The Thaiger

maxresdefault-6.jpg

The Phuket Marine Office has made an official announcement for boats to be “careful when going to sea”.

The announcement was issued today stating that “The Meteorological Department of Thailand (TMD) has forecast today that the Andaman sea wave waves more than two metres in the open sea.”

“For navigation safety, boat captains have to be careful when going to sea. Small boats should not leave from piers.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/warning-for-boats-going-to-sea

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-10-26

Interesting how thaiger said thai met is out of step. So what is it then, do they see what other weather forecast dont. Are  they just completely incompetent? Thats my thinking.

Looks like a thunderstorm is possible tonight but thats just my observation.

Today was hot and wind was below 8 knots.

Sure glad thailand is not in a cyclone belt or we would all be doomed.

28 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

Interesting how thaiger said thai met is out of step. So what is it then, do they see what other weather forecast dont. Are  they just completely incompetent? Thats my thinking.

Looks like a thunderstorm is possible tonight but thats just my observation.

Today was hot and wind was below 8 knots.

Sure glad thailand is not in a cyclone belt or we would all be doomed.

Yes, that is what I have been saying for a long time.

The Thai Met forecasts and warnings are useless.

• Like 2

High season conditions on Karon Beach this evening with waves barely more than a few inches. Busy as well, mostly Russians.

Totally agree with the negative comments regarding the Thai Met Office. The only time their forecasts are correct is after the event............and even then they aren't fallible!

11 hours ago, madmitch said:

High season conditions on Karon Beach this evening with waves barely more than a few inches. Busy as well, mostly Russians.

Totally agree with the negative comments regarding the Thai Met Office. The only time their forecasts are correct is after the event............and even then they aren't fallible!

They didn't say on the beach,were talking about open waters.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

27 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Doesn't matter.listen to the warning and obey the rules.safety first,money another day.

24 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

They didn't say on the beach,were talking about open waters.

You're clearly showing here you know nothing about the topic at hand. So wise decision from your side to stay far away from the sea and on dry land.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

You're clearly showing here you know nothing about the topic at hand. So wise decision from your side to stay far away from the sea and on dry land.

Yes I have no idea about the meteorological dept but I would listen and obey their warnings of no small boats to set out and waves of over 2 metres high in the open andaman sea.it doesn't matter what you and others think about calm beaches.it could be a different situation out at sea.you on the other hand don't have to worry about the conditions because your boss will just get out there and make him some money.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Yes I have no idea about the meteorological dept but I would listen and obey their warnings of no small boats to set out and waves of over 2 metres high in the open andaman sea.it doesn't matter what you and others think about calm beaches.it could be a different situation out at sea.you on the other hand don't have to worry about the conditions because your boss will just get out there and make him some money.

Oh please .if its flat at the beach trust me its flat on the open ocean. As they meant between phuket and phi phi However at about 8 pm i was starting to wonder if we were in for a good lightning storm. It sure tried. But passed to the south.

Memory sais its not really safe on the west coast till after new year.

All those kings cup boats beached and that 1 big storm a few years back all happen in december.

So i suspect more warnings with no result and then no warnings and bad results.

This is thailand. Where windguru will give you the scoop.

• Like 1

I am not sure this is off point or not ... but on one of 4 island visit boat trips I took from Phuket last year on a holiday .. I was shocked at the idiotic unprofessional and cavalier attitude of the crew. Once clear of the harbour the sea was extremely rough. I was a Merchant Navy Officer so not unused to rough seas.  The crew did not slow down . We were all bouncing a foot off our seat every 15 or 20 seconds for the hour it took to get to our destination. No exageration. Children were crying.

Errrrr if the ship / boat is pitching and violently smashing into swell / waves SLOW DOWN. Basic seamanship.

I protested to the tour courier that we should slow down. He said they cannot .. they have a schedule to keep. We were on the island all day and the boat returned about 6 hours later. (Not stay). I guess if they had to wait there would not be such a mad panic but guess they had things to do back in Phuket .. another boat load perhaps on a shorter excurson.

On the way back it was the same though. Presumeably no further trips that day. Just want to get home. Not bothered about passenger safety. Full speed .. bouncing passengers suffering. Injuries not happening a miracle.

Crazy.

• Thanks 1

This thread provides an illustration of why foreigners often die in Thailand: they are stupid and arrogant. 

One need not be a genius to understand that water conditions in close proximity to land or in a protected cove or harbour are often VERY different than what the conditions are on open water 1km+ from land.

This is no different than the idiots who complain about weather delays at airports and say, but jeez it was sunny and clear here and they said we couldn't leave because it was unsafe. These people don't consider the big picture of weather conditions enroute or at the destination.

Follow the weather advisories; use common sense and you will live to float another day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, quadperfect said:

Oh please .if its flat at the beach trust me its flat on the open ocean. As they meant between phuket and phi phi However at about 8 pm i was starting to wonder if we were in for a good lightning storm. It sure tried. But passed to the south.

Memory sais its not really safe on the west coast till after new year.

All those kings cup boats beached and that 1 big storm a few years back all happen in december.

So i suspect more warnings with no result and then no warnings and bad results.

This is thailand. Where windguru will give you the scoop.

If it's flat on the beach it will be flat on the open ocean.i haven't a clue where you got that info from.as for they meant between Phuket and phi phi.i haven't got a clue where you got that info from because nowhere in the report was phi phi mentioned.