Can you work on non-O visa as dependent of expat?

Is there any distinction between different types of non-O visas and ability to get work permit and be employed? I know if you have a non-O based on marriage to a Thai, you can work with work permit and get extension of stay based on marriage.

What if you have a non-O visa as a dependent (husband) of an expat worker (wife) who has an extension of stay on a B visa, are there any restrictions on employment? Can the husband have the same extension as stay as the wife via her work, but get his own work permit separately? (the advantage would be both extensions of stay are synced as they are linked to the wife only). Or is his extension of stay necessarily defined by his work permit?

Thanks!

Edited by sussex
clarification

You can get a work-permit while on a Non-O extension-of-stay - married or family.  The permitted-stay is based on the family-member, so your permitted-stay would be unaffected by your job ending / work-permit.

OTOH, if "expat worker (wife) who has an extension of stay on a B visa" loses their job, then their reason for extension-of-stay ends, and since the spouse's is based on hers, that ends as well.

Someone will jump in and correct if I am wrong - but I think that's how it works.

57 minutes ago, sussex said:

What if you have a non-O visa as a dependent (husband) of an expat worker (wife) who has an extension of stay on a B visa, are there any restrictions on employment? Can the husband have the same extension as stay as the wife via her work, but get his own work permit separately? (the advantage would be both extensions of stay are synced as they are linked to the wife only). Or is his extension of stay necessarily defined by his work permit?

It isn't a non-O visa as a dependent. It's issued because you are their spouse, dependent or not.

In your example the husband could not work or get a work permit. They would have to get a non 'B' visa and work permit in their own right.

51 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

You can get a work-permit while on a Non-O extension-of-stay - married or family.  The permitted-stay is based on the family-member, so your permitted-stay would be unaffected by your job ending / work-permit.

OTOH, if "expat worker (wife) who has an extension of stay on a B visa" loses their job, then their reason for extension-of-stay ends, and since the spouse's is based on hers, that ends as well.

Someone will jump in and correct if I am wrong - but I think that's how it works.

You can only get a work permit if you have a non 'O' visa/extension of stay as the spouse or parent of a Thai; not as the spouse/family member of another foreigner.

• Like 1