The 800'000 Bht obstacle

swissie

5 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I know two farangs who lost large sums of money due to bank/ATM fraud here, and who never recovered a single satang. Whist I have faith in the stability of the banks I use here, I have little faith in their willingness to refund me in case of loss due to fraud by their own staff.

We've been through this many times, AM fraud and skimming in Thailand is really no different from what it is in the West, neither is the lack of willingness of banks to make refunds in those circumstances. 

Edited by simoh1490
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, HampiK said:

I am not a financial guru, but are the interest that low here in Thailand?

At least compare to bank interest in Europe (Swiss) here the banks pays a very good interest rate (> 1.5%)

Interest rates here are comparable to those in the West. But if 20,000GBP was a significant part of my wealth I think I would look for a different way of investing it than just depositing it in a bank.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

No, this was internal fraud involving bank staff. I've never heard of anyone not being reimbursed for this in the West, but I've certainly heard of it here.

And in fact my own UK cards and bank accounts come with a guarantee of full reimbursement in case of fraud. Certainly on the very rare occasions when anything strange has happened to my UK cards, or when I have had to ask for a chargeback, I've been reimbursed instantly by my bank. I dont think that would be so easy here.

If you read through the link I provided you will see there is another link that describes how, of the over 1,800 bank failures in the US since 1985, 37% of them were believed to have involved internal fraud. If you read further you'll see that somebody posted an extract citing that BB was busy refunding 1.75 mill. baht to customers who were the subject of internal fraud.

4 hours ago, swissie said:

I realise, that most readers will consider the above as a comment from an "aloof" smart ass. I will not get many "likes" here I know.

Agreed!

And by the way, it's 800,000 not 800'000 - 'smart ass'.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

If you read through the link I provided you will see there is another link that describes how, of the over 1,800 bank failures in the US since 1985, 37% of them were believed to have involved internal fraud. If you read further you'll see that somebody posted an extract citing that BB was busy refunding 1.75 mill. baht to customers who were the subject of internal fraud.

I was commenting on the personal experience of people I know here, not on statistics from other countries. Also for me there is a big difference between banks failing due to internal fraud and individual customers being defrauded by bank staff.

Bangkok Bank are indeed refunding customers, but it seems to have taken them a very long time to do so and they appear to be doing it with very poor grace. My UK bank acted instantly: the refund was made whilst I was on the phone to them reporting the issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blackhorse said:

You got it wrong. 99% doing a runner emoji125.pngto vietnam and
Mexico have Cleary stated they are loaded but do not trust thai banks emoji23.png

As if Vietnam Cambodia and Mexico can be trusted

You can't make this stuff up. It's hilarious

Yeah, the Vietnam and Mexico runners clearly have millions.

Millions of ideas that is.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Personally, I welcome this new policy by the embassies that will help bring better quality expats into the country that can pay their way.

Take it easy on the Thailand 4.0 Kool-Aid willya? That stuff's as bad as yaabaa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

And by the way, it's 800,000 not 800'000 - 'smart ass'.

No, as this depends on your country. In swiss and I think also some other countries it's the ' which separates the thousands… and not the comma (,).

even the decimal sign varies depending on the country settings.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I think your link and the link nested therein needs to be made a 'sticky' and posted in the Money & Banking forum with the admonishment, "Do not post sh!t about Thai banks based on anecdotal tales before your read ALL of this."

Nice find. Thanks.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Thian said:

... Also don't forget that some folks have to pay very high tax because their government thinks is necessary to give loads of money to poor countries...

...and these folks much prefer to hand over that dosh personally.

Since this is a fairly broad discussion on income or lack thereof, has anyone got any insight on buffalo futures?

• Haha 2

"The Thai government will welcome westerners if they feel are going to be of benefit to the country, one being, they want their money invested in Thailand and not abroad. Thailand is not a charitable kingdom to accommodate cheap charlies that are considered poor in their own countries that owes them a better quality lifestyle. To be given something, one has to give something back in return." 

Fair enough BUT what does Thailand give in return ??

Cannot own land

Archaic visa reporting,foreigner considered second class

Poor security in banking system

so really  just "sticky rice n somtam"

Not a fat lot  this seems a one way street as always with Thailand

4 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Good post, swissie and my thoughts exactly.

The Thai government will welcome westerners if they feel are going to be of benefit to the country, one being, they want their money invested in Thailand and not abroad. Thailand is not a charitable kingdom to accommodate cheap charlies that are considered poor in their own countries that owes them a better quality lifestyle. To be given something, one has to give something back in return. 

Personally, I welcome this new policy by the embassies that will help bring better quality expats into the country that can pay their way.

As you rightly say swissie, 24000USD or £19000 is hardly a fortune these days. If pensioners over 50 cannot afford this amount to remain in the country, then I have to ask; what have they been doing all their lives?

But if that 800,000 is 'stuck' in a Thai bank, it is not being used for the benefit of normal Thais, only for the investors who use that money to gain profit. Surely if someone deposits 65k a month and then spends some or all of it down the pub, on tom yam for the missis, or whatever, the country is benefiting more.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

...and these folks much prefer to hand over that dosh personally.

Since this is a fairly broad discussion on income or lack thereof, has anyone got any insight on buffalo futures?

Well personally i wished i could give my money to a charity i choose myself, don't need any leftwing political parties to do that for me.

My point was that this Swiss seems to have forgotten why Swiss is more rich than it's neighbours, it's because they were the bankers from the underworld of their neighbours.

Not only from producing watches (which nobody needs these days with cellphones).

My thai friends are in Geneva right now, i hope they get a lot of snow this weekend, meters of it hahaha so they know how cool that is.