91 arrested in clampdown on road racing

rooster59

91 arrested in clampdown on road racing

By The Nation

Police arrested 91 motorcyclists on Bangkok roads after their motorbikes were allegedly illegally modified for road racing.

The arrests were made throughout Friday night until the early hours of Saturday on roads under the jurisdiction of the Metropolitan Police Division 5.

Pol Maj Gen Mongkol Waroonno, commander of the division, held a press conference in front of the Tesco Lotus Rama IV at 1.50am to announce the operation's results.

He said 46 of those arrested were younger than 18 and one adult and one teenager tested positive for drug use.

Police also seized 91 illegally modified motorcycles, he added.

Mongkol said police also seized 129 substandard exhaust pipes that would make a noise louder than the legal limit, from 22 shops in his jurisdiction.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30357312

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-27

I am beginning to wonder if these are the same loonies they arrest every time. Perhaps they just give them their bikes back and go and then re-arrest them on an ongoing basis after seeing their Facebook road race advertisements.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, connda said:

Like the 'war on drugs', the 'war on racing' is unwinnable and doing the same thing over and over and over is as Einstein aptly noted - insanity.

I lived in the Pacific Northwest as a kid and there were at least two drag strips that hosted drags open to the public - SRI and Puyallup Raceways.  If your vehicle passed a safety inspection, if you had safety equipment (helmet), and you (or your parents) sign a waiver and release of liability, you could race and do so safely. 
So, would it be so difficult for Thailand to adopt such a radical idea?  Regulate and sanction races instead of making otherwise good citizens into criminals.  And then you get the unsafe racing off of the streets.  Revolutionary idea, 'eh?

They could also try a Beat the Heat strip race as they do in some U S states .. Though the Fed's here would need a bit more than a diesel pickup as some of these bikes even though less than 150cc are tuned to the max and quite rapid .. 

IMG_20181027_085017.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, connda said:

Like the 'war on drugs', the 'war on racing' is unwinnable and doing the same thing over and over and over is as Einstein aptly noted - insanity.

I lived in the Pacific Northwest as a kid and there were at least two drag strips that hosted drags open to the public - SRI and Puyallup Raceways.  If your vehicle passed a safety inspection, if you had safety equipment (helmet), and you (or your parents) sign a waiver and release of liability, you could race and do so safely. 
So, would it be so difficult for Thailand to adopt such a radical idea?  Regulate and sanction races instead of making otherwise good citizens into criminals.  And then you get the unsafe racing off of the streets.  Revolutionary idea, 'eh?

It’s certainly an idea that hasn’t a hope in hell of achieving anything positive 

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

Do they give these bikes back or return them ? They should be scrapped and sold for parts or simply crushed as a deterrent for these idiot racers .

No need to crush them. Replace the exhaust systems and auction them off. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, tom in bangkok said:

Now can they crack-down on the idiots with poorly modded "mufflers" that ride between Puchao and Samrong BTS stations every Friday-Sunday?

There need to be limits on the loudness of vehicles on the road like a lot of other countries have.

I was living in Oslo/ Norway 2012-2016 and just 200 meters away from where I’m living the tram is running, these trams are from the 80s making noise like airplanes everyday every 5 minutes to 23;00 after that every 10 min until 01:00 and then starts again 05:00, the tracks are not maintained at all, but I got used to it.... now I’m living in khao yai, and the best thing here is silence, there are good asphalt road right outside the property, but only few scooters and cars passing during afternoon, after 20:00 it’s dead, no sounds. Yes stupid noises I’m tired of that.

12 hours ago, tom in bangkok said:

Now can they crack-down on the idiots with poorly modded "mufflers" that ride between Puchao and Samrong BTS stations every Friday-Sunday?

There need to be limits on the loudness of vehicles on the road like a lot of other countries have.

There is 95dcb it's just there is no money in it for the RTP to pull them over anymore as all tickets are now coded for payment at a bank, no backhanders anymore

• Like 1

On 10/28/2018 at 3:05 AM, The traveler said:

I was living in Oslo/ Norway 2012-2016 and just 200 meters away from where I’m living the tram is running, these trams are from the 80s making noise like airplanes everyday every 5 minutes to 23;00 after that every 10 min until 01:00 and then starts again 05:00, the tracks are not maintained at all, but I got used to it.... now I’m living in khao yai, and the best thing here is silence, there are good asphalt road right outside the property, but only few scooters and cars passing during afternoon, after 20:00 it’s dead, no sounds. Yes stupid noises I’m tired of that.

In my experience it's not too difficult to get used to noises that occur at regular intervals, but these really loud scooters start racing between 1 and 3 am on Friday-Sunday nights and surely can't be gotten used to. I suppose I should at least be thankful that other people in my building are more upset about it than I am and call the police straight away ????